KiteLife Forum

Kite Capabilities

dmcneil

Hi Everyone,

I am new to stunt kiting and got this kite as a gift (see pics). I was wondering what level kite this is and what to expect from it. I ask because I am looking to pick up some new kites and want to make sure I get something appropriate. I have flown it once in over-powered conditions (>20 kts) and it was a hary-scary blast! It took quite a pounding at first (read: lawn-darting) but I managed to figure it out eventually. I absolutely love flying, but after seeing some of the videos of the tricks, am wondering if this kite will do basic tricks in the right conditions.

The kite is called the Vertigo by Premier Kites and I can't for the life of me find a single mention of it anywhere.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, and if this is not going to do anything besides fly in circles (and squares, and figure eights) I'll be looking to upgrade.

Thanks,

Dave

post-7920-0-38568100-1380735981_thumb.jp

post-7920-0-83834200-1380736109_thumb.jp

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.

I'm not familiar with the Premier Vertigo but from your photos it looks like a basic entry level kite - fibreglass rods, dacron line. It will do circles, squares and basic flight but I wouldn't think you will get it to trick. That said it would be ideal to learn launches, landings and basic kite control and once you have that you can start looking for something a bit more capable. If you want to do tricks then you need to be looking at something 7'-8' across with a carbon fibre frame, you also need to look at Dyneema or similar lines which don't stretch like Dacron. I won't make any suggestions as you have a much better choice of kites over there than we have in the UK and I'm sure someone will soon come along who can advise better than me. You need to decide roughly how much you want to spend - a basic trick capable kite is probably going to start around $100 going up to silly money for something really exotic. Ask lots of questions here before you buy and I'm sure you'll get good advise.

Hi Hadge,

Thanks for the response. Thanks also for the advice on the lines. I have been reading up quite a bit on beginner kites, and I am still deciding. My biggest dilemma is that I am an hour plus inland and get little to no wind most of the time. For that reason I am looking at ultra-lights, but having less that 4 hours flight time, I don't want to get something I am just going to break right away.

Stick with what you have and upgrade your lines!! Then after getting control of this one, look at getting something different (better)! No sense taking a chance on breaking something new, just because you have to try it!! I'm not a dual liner much these days, prefer Revs' so others will have better suggestions or an upgrade, but this will work for learning some basics!! IMHO!

PS: those upgraded lines will work on most other kites in your thinking, so invest in some good ones!!

• Like 2

A decent 'standard' kite will fly from around 5mph - some a little lower. I would be careful of getting an Ultralight as your first good kite as they can be fragile especially in the hands of a beginner. If you really have to get an ultralight something like the Prism 4D will fly in almost no wind and has a frame that will take some abuse but it's not that tricky and not a kite I'd really recommend for a beginner. There may well be someone close to you who can give you a couple of lessons and let you try a few kites. Buy good lines you can still use them when you get a better kite.

I was looking at the 4D as a potential for the no-wind/light wind days, and possibly a Hypnotist. Two totally different kites, I know, but I am going back and forth on "do I get something I can use most days" vs. "do I get something I can use some days". Would like to get both, but probably going to be tough sell to the Wind-Indifferent-Financial-Enforcer.

Have a look at a Prism Quantum and Premier Widow as possible next kites. Neither are ultralight but both will fly in pretty light winds (e.g. ~5 mph). Both are pretty sturdy kites and both have a wider wingspan than your Vertigo (which usually means slower flight).

As to line length, the longer you go, the bigger your wind window and the more time you have to plan your next maneuver. OTOH, the more line you have out there, the more weight the kite has to drag around. I usually fly my Widow on 90-foot lines, except for the one time I was practicing for a competition, when I used 120-foot lines (some of the competition figures are nearly impossible on shorter lines). When I fly my ultralight kite, I often use lines as short as 50 feet, just to reduce the weight on the kite.

If you decide to go ultralight, I've heard really good things about the HQ Shadow but I've never had a chance to fly one. I fly a Skyburner Ocius UL, which is more of a boutique kite and would have been well outside my budget, had I not gotten a good deal on a used one.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Jay. I looked at the Quantum and it's still a possibility given the good feedback on it's endurance factor... trying to keep it under $150 for now, so the Shadow is at the top of my budget range (and I would probably break it and end up spending more).

Would like to get both, but probably going to be tough sell to the Wind-Indifferent-Financial-Enforcer.

Yes I know what you mean - the SWMBO effect ( She Who Must Be Obeyed). The 4D is a good kite for no wind days but it can be a bit quick and twitchy. Wait until a few of the other guys come along and see what they say. By the way, if you get hooked, kite flying is extremely addictive!

( Tip - buy kites of the same colour and get them shipped to work or a friend and she may not notice your kite bag is getting bigger ;) )

• Like 1

It's too late for me. Hooked already. I am a wind junkie by nature having windsurfed most of my life. This gives me something do do when I can't get to the water or the wind isn't strong enough. I am surprised it took me this long to discover the sport. The upside is my kids will love it too and they are just getting old enough to try it out.

If you do some careful shopping, you can find several good-sized kites in the Flying Wings brand for well under $150. My first "big" kite was the 85-inch Flying Wings Alpha+. It's not nearly as nice a kite as the Widow, but I see it offered online for $78. I see the 90-inch Flying Wings Silver Fox 2.3 standard offered for $122. The UL version of that kite is offered for $112. I've never seen a Silver Fox in person, so I don't know its quality.

You're right that UL kites break more easily, so I'd avoid them until you get to the point at which you have no "unintended landings" on the Vertigo or on a larger standard kite that you might get before you invest in a UL.

Do keep an eye on places where used kites are sold. You might find a good used kite that normally retails for more than $150 offered for a price within your budget.

Would like to get both, but probably going to be tough sell to the Wind-Indifferent-Financial-Enforcer.

One advantage of a kite like the Flying Wings Silver Fox is that the same kite comes in standard, ultralight and vented versions. If you collect all three (over time), you'll be able to fly all the time and the kites will behave somewhat similarly. The Silver Fox is not the only kite that comes in all three versions, but it's probably the least expensive kite that comes in all three versions.

I'd take Wayne's advice - get yourself a good set of lines first, then learn to fly the kite tht you have, and when you get to where you have complete control over that kite, in all kinds of wind, then start thinking about a new kite...........

Everybody needs a "beater" kite to learn on, and it sounds like you've got just the ticket. Then when you decide on your new kite, you've got a beater to teach the kids on...............

Good luck, and glad to see you here, on Kitelife.............there's a bunch of good folks here, and a ton of great information - just ask :ani_victory:

• Like 1

Thanks Reef Runner. Already getting good advice, and quickly I might add. Gotta love an active forum.

You are very welcome. Just hang in there, you'll probably get and information overload. :cat_lol:

Oh, and there's way too many great kites out there, to rush into anything. If possible, as I think someone mentioned, try to find somebody in your area that flies, and that might be willing to let you take a test run, on some other kites. The best way to make that happen, is to show up at the field, and at least be able to exhibit, that you have complete control over the kite you are flying. It might not be the best kite in the world, and you might not be tricking, but first of all, learn to keep it "off the ground". Nobody is going to walk over to someone that is taking "nose dives" and "face plants", and hand over the reins to a $200+ kite. :ani_wallbash:

Again, welcome aboard, and good luck............. :ani_victory:

I was right where you are about 13-14 years ago. Here are my thoughts FWIW.

First, good luck stunting a dual line. I still can't after 14 years, but I've never flown with anyone who could, so...

Now, I understand the $$ and wife thing, but I have to recomend getting a Rev. The control is amazing, and there is a lot you can learn from practice and videos. I'm of the opinion that slack line tricking really needs a mentor that can tell you what your doing wrong, or right. I'm no JB, but I'm good enough with a Rev after 2 years so that I can impress most non fliers and have a blast doing it without resorting to slack line tricks. Once you go over to the dark side, life will never be the same.

BTW, I have both the 4D and the Hypnotist. Both good kites and both pretty tough. I would say the Hypnotist would be the better bet since the 4D gets really hyper if the wind is above 3-4mph. On the plus side, it can be flown with 2 fingers on one hand!