KiteLife Forum

Kite Capabilities

dmcneil

I always enjoy the posts like this. "Just started & what to get next?" It brings back the memories of the fun I've had on the same path. Now have many of the kites mentioned. Live inland too & my 4D has the most hours on it. That little kite produced my first 360 & more. It's pretty specialized but I use it when nothing else will fly. The Shadow is the next one out of the bag in a bit stronger puffs of wind. But all paths lead to the Darkside eventually. Love the good advice that flows so freely here on KiteLife. You guys are the best!

I didn't know that there was anywhere in RI that's an hour from the water... :cat_lol:

You need to get down to Newport on the weekend, drive out to the water, and you'll find others flying. Get a good idea of what you want. I bought a ton of kites, but only really fly 10 of them. You find what you like, and the others never come out of the bag. A Prism kite will give you the best durability in the Quantum & Hypnotist. The 4D is pretty tough for an ultralight, but it's so small that it gets real fast, real quick ! Something like the Skyburner NikNak or HQ Shadow would be good for light winds. The NikNak is only $30 more than the 4D, and well worth it. I bought mine used years ago, and it's still able to fly. The Shadow is a bit more expensive, but if you want to learn some tricks, the Shadow will be a better choice than the NikNak.

You'll get tons of suggestions, there's really no wrong answer... as long as it flies, it will be fun. Good luck !

• Like 1

All great advice and I really appreciate it all. Thanks again everyone for your input. I am a little over an hour from Newport so that would require a significant time commitment on a weekend which mostly goes to kids stuff right now (until they quit team sports in favor of wind sports).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 1

Must live in northern RI!! I grew up in Newport, you're looking for Breton State Park for fellow fliers!! On the Ocean Drive, near the water, on an old estate converted to a park! One of the places people rave about!! :ani_victory:

...about as north and west as you can get in RI (which stands for Road Inland in my case). Never thought I would be this far from the water, but priorities change.

Anyway, I think I have made up my mind to go with the 4D for two reasons. 1 - it will allow me to get out just about any time I can, and 2 - it will come with the 50' - 50# lines that someone mentioned above that I can use with my "beater" in winds when the 4D gets too quick and twitchy. I know there will be a serious learning curve, but I think it will be worth it in the end. Then my next kite will be something bigger like the Hypnotist. That being said, I am sure I will need to have some spare parts on hand (like the center T I have read so much about). Any other suggestions of parts to stock up for this kite?

• Like 1

If you have very low winds then the 4D will keep you flying virtually down to 0mph with a bit of leg work but by 6-7mph you will need to be putting another kite on your lines ( the 4D can be flown in more than this but it's way too fast and twitchy to be pleasent). It's well made and comes with a very nice case - a really nice overall package. It would probably be worth getting a centre tee ( though the new one is supposed to be stronger than the one that was fitted to the early kites) and maybe a couple of leading edge ferrules - it will only be a few $, I got a set of fittings sent to the UK and it was less than $20 with shipping. The spars are solid micro carbon so they're very tough, not easy to break.

The Hypnotist would be a good first choice, it's well made, able to do a lot of tricks and it's pretty tough.It also comes with a good set of lines and ( I believe) the Prism training DVD.

If that is your choice for a next kite, get yourself another, longer, better set of lines too! 50' is a bit short for learning on, IMHO! Wind window is pretty small at that length, it opens up as you get longer lines!

Rob - got any suggestions on a good all-purpose length for him? 75 - 80'? Longer?

We use 120' x 90# most times on our Revs, 80' x 90# comes in most packages! For short lining I use either 50' or 30' x 50#! :ani_idea:

It is done! Pulled the trigger on a Prism 4D today! Also, based on the incredibly helpful posts here and on other topics, I stocked up on some spare parts to ward off the evil spirits (center tees, ferules, upper/lower leading edge). Now I have to begin the drip campaign for the next kite (a real full-size something or other).

If that is your choice for a next kite, get yourself another, longer, better set of lines too! 50' is a bit short for learning on, IMHO! Wind window is pretty small at that length, it opens up as you get longer lines!

Rob - got any suggestions on a good all-purpose length for him? 75 - 80'? Longer?

50' lines are fine for the 4D - it doesn't seem to like lines any longer ( in fact with experience it works better on even shorter lines). For general trick flying 80'- 100' @ around 100lb - 150lb breaking strength.

The Hypnotist comes with (I think) 150lb lines ready to fly.

The Hypnotist comes with 150# 85' lines. I cut the 4D lines from 50' to 30' after the first 5 minutes of flying it. It's too small of a kite for 50s. It also makes it easier to keep in the air in 0-2mph wind. As far as lines for the original kite, I would say 50-60 footers are good for a kite with a 5 foot wingspan. A full sized kite in 5-15mph wind works good on 75'-100' lines. I always fly 75' because my beach is narrow, and I like to try to do tricks. Longer lines make tricks more difficult.

With any dual line kite, it is SUPER important to make sure that your lines are even, at least within an inch of each other. Stake them down, stretch them out, and adjust if necessary. It is well worth your time. Finding smooth wind is also worth your time, even if the drive cuts into your fly time. It is way better to only fly for 2 hours in good wind than flying for 4 hours in crappy wind...

• Like 1

Good advice all! The equal line length thing is really important on the 4D (especially for one handed flying!) since it does get fast and twitchy in higher winds. On the bright side, I've had mine up in 5-8 mph winds gusting to 12+ and though it was a bit hyper, and I had spars pop out twice due to the wind gusting and quiting on me, and I hit the ground twice doing the one hand two finger thing....I've never broken anything, so it seems to be pretty tough!

I will keep in mind the tip about the shorter lines. I will have a hard time cutting brand new lines without first giving it a go. I hear you about seeking out the consistent winds. I have many hours behind the wheel in search of a steady breeze from my windsurfing days BC ( Before Children). The reason for the 4D first is the lack of wind where I am. I want to be able to get out when it's convenient, but not necessarily windy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I had spars pop out twice due to the wind gusting and quiting on me, and I hit the ground twice doing the one hand two finger thing....I've never broken anything, so it seems to be pretty tough!

This has happened to me too. I've used a short elastic band to join the centre T ends of the spreaders with larksheads so that when in place the elastic band pulls the spreaders into the centre T - they haven't popped out since.

DSCF0146.JPG

• Like 2

Got my new Prism 4D yesterday and took it out on my lunch break today. Not the best conditions (0, gusting 10 on an enclosed by trees baseball field), but it gave me an idea of how the kite handles. I really like the feel of the kite with very little wind. In the gusts it was all over the place (partly due to the rookie pilot I am sure). Twice I as able to get into a lack-of-wind assisted stall and actually pulled off my first axels. Not the prettiest (5.2 from the Russian judge) but they counted. I can definitely see the advantage of having shorter lines, with all the walking I did when the wind cut out (backwards and forwards). I will have to get some of those. Overall I love the kite and the feeling of flying in the lighter winds. Seeing the kite just hang there in stalls is almost hypnotizing. I can't wait to take it to a more open location with steadier wind, and more time than a lunch break. Thanks again everyone here for the tips and encouragement.

• Like 1

I have a set of 30' lines for mine which seems to work well. Be careful of the gusts (6-7 mph +) with short lines as things can go really wrong really quickly as you have almost no time to react. Gentle inputs are the way to go, watch a few of the youtube videos to get an idea. It's a nice little kite, enjoy it!

• Like 1