KiteLife Forum

Dan Leigh XFS Delta (I'm feeling kinda stupid & down)

Reef Runner

That's interesting also..............any pics ?

just something to make you giggle trying to envision 200 of pvc vertical weeblewobbling all around. I have used air,water,etc..but with the height and tangled lines....... Food for thought for next time.

Hope there's not a "next" time...............

I would not object chopping a tree like that down with my camp axe that resides in my truck.....

I'm sure it crossed his mind, but while they are normally very gracious hosts, I think the Parks & Rec Department would have taken exception.

I've used my telescoping pole, used for a windsock, lately though its been a tell-tale on the vehicle antenna... :ani_idea:

Does it telescope up to around 100' - 120' ? If so, I could have used one of those ! :cat_lol:

Unfortunately, no... crashing into a large fir is usually my kites last flight. :ani_wallbash::ani_giveup: Time to fish out the check book, and buy that next kite you've been eyeballing :ani_smoke:

Time to fish out the check book, and buy that next kite you've been eyeballing :ani_smoke:

Replacement(s) INCOMING !

Just checked UPS tracking info - "On Vehicle for Delivery Today" - :cat_lol: Shhhhhhhhhh!

What'ya buy??? :ani_victory: love the first day of a new kite... :ani_yahoo:

• 1 month later...

Reef, that was a beautiful kite, really like the colors. I've always wanted one of Dan's deltas myself. I know you have somting in-coming, but just wondering if you pled your case to Dan (or directed him here) if he would just sell you a new sail?

I'm sure I'm not the only person here who has done this; but one time I was able to lift a kite out of a tree by flying another of my kites under the first string and lifting it. Of course that too was pretty risky and I could have lost both...but it worked. Probably pushing my luck to try it ever again. :)

Reef, that was a beautiful kite, really like the colors. I've always wanted one of Dan's deltas myself. I know you have somting in-coming, but just wondering if you pled your case to Dan (or directed him here) if he would just sell you a new sail?

I'm sure I'm not the only person here who has done this; but one time I was able to lift a kite out of a tree by flying another of my kites under the first string and lifting it. Of course that too was pretty risky and I could have lost both...but it worked. Probably pushing my luck to try it ever again. :)

Yep, I thought about it (the second kite idea), but the wind was just too "swirlie", near those trees, so I abandoned that idea.......I do understand the concept, and have actually done something similar, with a hook suspended from the second kite, like a tail, and allowing it to run up the line, of the kite that was hung up ! And yep, it worked that time, and I considered that method also, but again, the wind was just swirling in the area, so it was a "NO GO", on a retrieval kite.........The kite was buried deep in the tree, also ! :ani_wallbash:

Oh well, that's history now, and I got a "Little Bear" as a replacement...........haven't even flown it yet :ani_sleep:

Thanks for the kind thoughts, though ! :ani_victory:

Sorry for the loss, been there too. I know the feeling on a perfect morning for flight. It captures an emotion that shuts down my common sense. STAY AWAY FROM TREES AND ELECTRICAL LINES, and sometimes even some birds. Yes I've had Pelicans attack or even worse goose. only one goose ... but that's all it takes and the investment in recreation is over for the day. :ani_giveup:

• Like 1

STAY AWAY FROM TREES AND ELECTRICAL LINES, and sometimes even some birds. Yes I've had Pelicans attack or even worse goose. only one goose ... but that's all it takes and the investment in recreation is over for the day. :ani_giveup:

Yep, I've clipped a few sea gulls with the Rev, and with the dualie lines, but never really had any damage. I did T-bone a big old osprey one afternoon. I was flying a dualie, out on 100' lines, and cruising the surf line. He was one PO...ed bird, for sure. Glad he didn't put two and two together, and decide to attack (me), but I don't think he ever put me and the kite together, but he sure did give that kite a few evil looks, before taking off for other parts....... :ani_whistling:(Oh, and nobody crashed & burned)

• Like 1