KiteLife Forum

Live Chat?

My experience with new computers (and operating systems) has been:

I hate it when I get it,

the dislike fades away fairly quickly,

and when I have to go back to the old system for something, I can't imagine how I ever put up with it.

• Like 2

My experience with new computers (and operating systems) has been:

I hate it when I get it,

the dislike fades away fairly quickly,

and when I have to go back to the old system for something, I can't imagine how I ever put up with it.

Yep, yep........pretty typical, I'd say.

Only problem, I'm only coming up on stage "1" (hate) :ani_wallbash:, and that's still several weeks down the road !

Good luck, Nick.

I'm nursing my laptop along right now, too. Good thing I have a desktop and iPad to fall back on. I really don't like that all the laptops coming out now are smaller and lighter. I need somethig substantial to hang onto and that can slide off the couch onto the carpet and not split in two.

• Like 1

Good luck, Nick.

I'm nursing my laptop along right now, too. Good thing I have a desktop and iPad to fall back on. I really don't like that all the laptops coming out now are smaller and lighter. I need somethig substantial to hang onto and that can slide off the couch onto the carpet and not split in two.

All I can say, is back-up, back-up, back-up. Make sure that you keep important stuff, backed-up (I'm sure you do). Actually, I "COPY" (rather than backing up), to another computer (my old desktop), and also to a stand-alone hard drive. So, it's not that I lost anything, other than my "security blanket"..........I'm just not happy going to Windows 7 Pro, and I'm surely not going to Win 8 (a.k.a. NIGHTMARE !), but I'll get switched over, sooner or later. Gotta get a computer first (it's on order)

Are you coming from XP or Vista, Nick? I went from XP to 7 and for the first time, thought the upgrade was worth it.

Yep, coming from XP Pro, to Win 7 Pro...........I'm hoping also, that it will be a good thing..........

My wife has Vista, and that too, was, and has been, a nightmare, for the last 3 - 4 years........ :ani_wallbash:

I suppose what I don't understand, is why an individual, can't get a new computer, with Win XP Pro. A lot of industry, is still locked in on XP, and I suppose that's why Microsoft, hasn't completely abandoned it, so why can't we (the general public) get it ? It's a good, stable OS, so why dump it ?

Oh well, just a bit of venting...........I'll get over it ! :ani_victory:

You might still be able to get certain PCs with an XP 'downgrade', but you'll pay more for them. I am in the process of changing out over 200 XP computers for Win7 machines. There are no issues with Win7, unlike Vista. You just have to get used to a new look, and things being in different places...

BTW, support for XP is being discontinued next March, so there will be no more updates from MS. All industry machines will be switched out by then. XP has been mainstream for at least 11 years, more than 3 times the life expectancy of the average PC. Time marches on...

• Like 1

You might still be able to get certain PCs with an XP 'downgrade', but you'll pay more for them. I am in the process of changing out over 200 XP computers for Win7 machines. There are no issues with Win7, unlike Vista. You just have to get used to a new look, and things being in different places...

BTW, support for XP is being discontinued next March, so there will be no more updates from MS. All industry machines will be switched out by then. XP has been mainstream for at least 11 years, more than 3 times the life expectancy of the average PC. Time marches on...

Hey Rob, thanks for the encourging words on Win 7. Actually the Lenovo T-400, that I have been using for the last five years, was ordered with a XP downgrade, and as you mentioned, I had to pay extra, to avoid it from coming with Vista. At least, I'm getting to skip that one. My wife's been fighting with Vista for several years now (it's always a bad experience).

I know that I'll eventually figure it out (Win7), and I do realize, that it's probably time for me to make a change, but I know one thing for sure, I don't want anything to do with Win8. I'm just not into all that "wiping & swiping" stuff, on the screen.

I would still think that it is going to be an ordeal, to change over all the XP based units, that are out in industry, as of today. I may need to keep an open PM going with you, until I get my feet on the ground, with the new unit (T-430). Oh, and the change over will also transition me from a 32 bit machine, to 64 bit. I'm sure it will all be interesting. At least I don't have a lot of hair to pull out, at this point. :ani_wallbash:

There is no operational difference between 32bit and 64 bit. By that I mean that there's nothing different to learn for the user. You can order Win7 machines from any of the major manufacturers, don't buy off-the-shelf from Best Buy. Even if you did get stuck with a wonky Win8 machine, all you have to do is download (for free) ClassicShell, and your Win8 machine will operate either like an XP or Win7 machine.

I know change is tough, we're all human, and humans have a natural resistance to change. I deal with it every day, put a new unfamiliar operating system in front of someone, and do my best to teach them how to use it.

http://classicshell.net/

There is no operational difference between 32bit and 64 bit. By that I mean that there's nothing different to learn for the user.

I deal with it every day, put a new unfamiliar operating system in front of someone, and do my best to teach them how to use it.

http://classicshell.net/

Wish I could sit in on one of your sessions !

DOS 3, 4, 5, Win 2, 3, XP, Win 7, thin client. Command line, clicking keys, hot keys, joy stick, mouse programs, two click, roller, touch screen, wireless. Green screen, burnt orange, mono VGA, icons with labels. Dot matrix, thermal paper, laser, inkjets, networked copier. 1200 baud, dial up, cat 5, now wifi. Many others too numerous to continue typing. But the changes are the constant. First ever live chat tonight. That was pretty personal.

• Like 2

First ever live chat tonight. That was pretty personal.

Well, I've been there twice, but, every time I get there, "nobody's home", so I've still never experienced the "live chat". I'm beginning to wonder if people know when you are coming ? :cat_shy:

One thing you can do is to open the chat window anytime you expect to be at your keyboard for a while (and don't mind being interrupted). That way anyone else coming on site will see a "badge" (little red circle) superimposed on the Chat link at the top of each page (and check for the badge yourself). The chances of two people just happening to check into the Chat system simultaneously is fairly small. If one or more people stay in the Chat system for a while, it is much more likely that they will be seen by others. You can even keep KL open in one tab, move the popup chat-box to a corner of your screen, and be surfing other sites, or even working with another application, just as long as you can see the chat-box.

• Like 3

First ever live chat tonight. That was pretty personal.

Well, I've been there twice, but, every time I get there, "nobody's home", so I've still never experienced the "live chat". I'm beginning to wonder if people know when you are coming ? :cat_shy:

Let me know when you would like to meet up, Nick

When the sounds work it is quite useful. I was online watching the new Indoor video and got the doorbell and clicks when they responded. Still random....but was nice.

Me and mtgrizzly52 chatted for a good 45 minutes.

Yeah, the sounds don't work for me, either. I assumed it was some of the hyper-protective software I normally run, but maybe not.

a "badge" (little red circle) superimposed on the Chat link at the top of each page (and check for the badge yourself).
When the sounds work it is quite useful. I was online watching the new Indoor video and got the doorbell and clicks when they responded.

I don't seem to have either of these signals.

I don't see a "little red circle", nor do I see a chat link, at the top of each page.

I also don't hear any doorbells or clicks ?

Now this could be due to me "not knowing anything about chat rooms", or the antiquated equipment, that I am currently operating on, these days. I suppose I'll get there one day.......... :gathering:

The red circle shows when you highlight the "chat" under "More" in the header, only if someone is there! If no one is on - no red circle!!

The sounds come if you open another window for the "chat" to be in, while you are still browsing through the forum! It does seem like the sounds are random still, not always working all the time! No explanation, just the way it is!!

Might be worth mentioning.... you can have private chat alongside room chat also. For those that don't really want to get involved in general discussion.

By clicking on someones name in the listed online chat room users. This will take you to your Private chat room. The main chat is not visible while in this room and vise versa. Like a live pm. To exit, press the red x next to your name and you will re enter regular chat room and conversation.

Multiple Private chats at one time are also possible. By clicking back and forth between the selected users name once the chats are started. Exit in the same manner....red x

Edited by mystainedskin
  • Like 2

I would like to share a story today also..... I received a first Thank You for sharing on the forum in the chat. A forum member had a question and was hunting for John.... I asked if i could help in any way? Turns out the person had followed the line making , pigtails, etc.. threads and found my pictures and descriptions helpful....along with the Live Chat and being able to query any one available.

I must say it was a good feeling! :)

So don't hesitate if if you have never used chat rooms before. It's really easy! Along with getting to know your fellow fliers better through general talk..... the book of knowledge is now live.... so pop in, hang out a bit, you never know what you might learn!

• Like 4