KiteLife Forum

Vented advice

Tim P.

Right now all I have available in the quad catagory is the standard full sail JB series 1.5. I really need a vented model and it's going to be my next purchase. I have the great good fortune to live and fly not too far from the outer banks in NC. I've bought my Rev and another kite in my small collection from Flying Smiles kite shop down in Corolla, NC which is run by Elliot and Cath Shook (who are tremendously great folks btw!) and seen his custom mesh Revs which are beautiful. I had considered his kites to be a bit out of my price range, but since I don't have the dozens of kites that many of you do, I was thinking about splurging on one of these beauties for myself.

My question is this:

To any of you that have flown the Shook mesh kites and the standard JB vented versions, how do they compare? I'm talking specifically in how they feel in the air, flight characteristics, etc.

Thanks for any replies!

March yourself into flying smiles and demand to fly a 75% mesh. Tell em comras sent ya. Thats all you'll need to know.................

errrrr.....leave out that last part about knowing me and you'll do just fine!

Seriously tho.........borrow one of Cath or Elliot's store demo sails and fly the crap out of it.......then decide! Butter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March yourself into flying smiles and demand to fly a 75% mesh. Tell em comras sent ya. Thats all you'll need to know.................

errrrr.....leave out that last part about knowing me and you'll do just fine!

Seriously tho.........borrow one of Cath or Elliot's store demo sails and fly the crap out of it.......then decide! Butter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like the man says...

The vented revs have more "shoulders" to lean on, something to have wind push against towards the. Center. The mesh has a larger window to fly in because it doesn't carry that heavy screen material

Some prefer the mesh smoothness, some prefer the harder edge of venting

I owe both, no favorites

Test and compare, if u can!

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies! It seems to be that the overwhelming response is to to try them both out if possible and see for myself which I like better. Which makes the most sense, lol. Hopefully Elliot and Cath will have a demo model or two they'll let me try out and see.

Thanks again folks!

Tim,

we will probably do a Rev clinic with flying smiles kites in February (President's day wkend 14th - 17th). You should get on board for that, great time to compare and test various kites, options, modifications and techniques, all in a casual environment. You will learn whatever you deem most important, from indoor flying, to slack line tricks in turbulence, to precision maneuvering, team and pairs flying practice.

Anything you want to try will be available, vents, meshes, home made prototypes, indoor gliders.

Anyone else interested?,... you stay "dorm style" in a nice residence with a local family and the event charges cover both housing and the clinics for a Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon. Lessen your concerns my friends, everyone pays, instructor or participant, it's big family, all fun times together. We all learn from each other.

More details will be released as we get closer to the date, but mark your calendars now for February OBX.

-plm