KiteLife Forum

Thinking about 2 lines

dragonfish

I've been flying quad line kites (Revs) for almost 4 years now, but recently I've become more and more interested in dual line kites. I think it's the trick flying that's caught my interest. So, I'm starting to think about getting a dual line kite in the near future and I'm looking for recommendations on what to get. I've flown some friends' dual line kites before, so I know the basic controls but nothing about tricks. I think I'm mostly past the crashing-all-over-the-place-the-kite-flies-you stage, but I'm sure learning tricks will come with its own share of crashing. I would like to get a kite that will let me learn how to trick and also help improve my general flying. So, what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

I had stepped away from any kites for over a decade, and upon coming back I picked up a Premier Widow NG. It's the affordable, overseas version of the Skyburner Widow Maker. Been a great entry back into the dual line world, quite capable trick-wise, and didn't break the bank. I have not been extremely easy on it, and it's still holding up great. I'm 90% sure it's framed with P-300.

There's probably a million great kites out there, this is the one I ended up with, and am pretty happy with it. It goes down to about 5mph, though I'm starting to learn to fly it in even lower winds, but not much.

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

I have the previous generation Widow and I love it as well. It's reasonably priced and is quite capable. Prism kites are good, but as I've gotten more into dual lines I've branched off and found other kites I like more with prices similar. Prism just has the most market presence.

• Like 2

How about the Kymera? http://www.intothewind.com/shop/Trick_Kites/ITW_Kymera_Barresi_Stunt_Kite

John Barresi works his magic on two line kites
Designed by JB in collaboration with ITW, the Kymera blends old and new school elements to produce both trick and precision ability in a wide wind range. Graceful side slides, jacobs ladders, spin landings to wap-do-waps, this is a true all-rounder fit for a fun day at the beach or serious competition. Built to drive and track with sharp, stable cornering when loaded up with a good wind, the Kymera is a great kite for tight banking turns and arcs with small powerful inputs, backed up by its smooth style throughout a wide range of tricks. Icarex polyester with Sky Shark carbon spars. 7’-2” x 3’-2”. 11.1-oz. 58/36” case. Includes a fixed 15-gram weight on the spine and another one on the tail, plus two 5-gram tail weights to use in any combination that you choose. Use 90-lb. Spectra line. Please specify Lime, Blue or Red color.

Choose Color/Size: Choose Color/Size Blue - $225.00 In Stock Red - $225.00 In Stock Lime Green - $225.00 In Stock
Line Options: Line not included Into The Wind Wrist Straps $6.50 200' 90-lb. Speed Line $24.00 75' 90-lb. Speed Set $37.00

7227-RED.jpg

• Like 2

I am a big Prism Fan. The 4D is excellent in very light conditions. The Zephyr is my Low-ish Trick Kite of Choice. The Hypnotist is great in Mid Wind.

For Stronger Winds I use the Silver Fox 2.5 Vented.

I usually only trick fly in Lighter winds, I am not interested in running with the kite anymore.

Dragonfish, Let us know if you get something, or you create a short list.

• Like 2

It really depends on what winds you want to use it in! Just like Revs, there is a correct wind range for most dualies too! Put too heavy a sail up in light stuff and you'll have trouble keeping it flying! So it depends on when you want to use it, how many kites are you interested in getting!! Just my $0.02 worth!! :ani_idea:

• Like 2

Thanks for all the suggestions, and keep them coming. I am nowhere near a decision yet.

I do have quite a bit of interest in the Widow NG, but I am not a fan of the colors at all. As far as I know, there is only the red/white/black one. Anyone know if there will be (or are) any other colors? Wonder if I can find one of the old layout/colors...hmmm....

It depends on what you're willing to spend as well. Prism kites are built like trucks and will take a beating as well as having attractive prices. I will say they were great for starting out, but I ended up moving on to other kites pretty quickly once I really started flying more and learning more tricks. Also, look at the sky burner free stylist. Not a bad price for a kite that can do just about everything.

It really comes down to what you want to do and how much you want to spend.

• Like 1

Whatever dual line kite you get, it'll be a great thing for you Joanna... Also, dual and quad skills do inter-relate. :)

Just don't get too hung up on the flippy-dippy trick stuff, focus on fundamental steering, landing, etc, first.

End of the day, a smooth series of fundamental moves always feels better to me than a long-ass trick combo. :)

• Like 8

Thanks for all the suggestions, and keep them coming. I am nowhere near a decision yet.

I do have quite a bit of interest in the Widow NG, but I am not a fan of the colors at all. As far as I know, there is only the red/white/black one. Anyone know if there will be (or are) any other colors? Wonder if I can find one of the old layout/colors...hmmm....

The folks at Kites N Funthings said the yellow version would be coming in "later" when I asked about it. That was in June, so maybe they have it in stock now?

• Like 1

It depends on what you're willing to spend as well. Prism kites are built like trucks and will take a beating as well as having attractive prices. I will say they were great for starting out, but I ended up moving on to other kites pretty quickly once I really started flying more and learning more tricks.

This has been adding to my indecision as well (and I am an indecisive person to begin with). I wouldn't really want to get something and end up wanting a more capable kite very soon. I'm willing to spend a bit more to get a kite that will help me learn faster/do more tricks/fly better/etc. as long as it's worth it. So, what are some of those other kites you ended up moving on to if you don't mind sharing?

John: I will definitely work on straight lines, clean turns, etc. But, it's the tricks that are drawing me to dual lines.

• Like 1

Don't put too much weight on my moving on to other kites. I was really bitten by the kiting bug and really got in to the details of kites. I really like the Premier widow and want to get a Sky Burner full Widow Maker some day. I caution you about spending too much on a dual line stunt kite to start because it is quite different from quad lines. Much more moving around with having to give line slack and pull to complete certain tricks. I think the Prism Hypnotist could work as well, but if you were somewhat serious, I would go for the Premier Widow. I have heard good things about JB's Kymera and Skydog's (Dodd Gross designed) advanced kites too.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Soooo....I picked up a SkyBurner WidowMaker. :kid_devlish: Happened to find a guy selling his, and at a good deal too (yea, I got lucky). Just got it today and flew it for about 2 mins before the wind died, so waiting for a better wind day now.

However, I had a hard time disassembling the kite. It was really hard to get the spreaders out of the fittings, like it felt like they weren't even budging at first. It took way more effort than I expected to get them out. Any tips? BTW, I've already watched JB's tutorial on assembling/disassembling a dual line kite. Both methods he mentions were really difficult at first. I had to work at it a lot before I could feel the spreaders start to move out of the fittings. Thanks.

post-5404-0-82899700-1387690270_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Nice kite. The APA's on the leading edges can be very tight, but that's good because you don't want your spreaders popping out if you hit high wind or the ground. You'll want to be firm but gentle when forcing the spreader out. Try wrapping your hand around the LE and placing you thumb next to the APA while twisting and pulling the spreader with your other hand. Be careful as I think this causes the most rips in the sails by fliers. Just about every dual line flier has a horror story about tearing their sail at somepoint or another.

Not only should they feel tight to take down, but should also be a bit difficult to seat fully as you assemble! Most make the mistake of NOT seating the ends fully, and things pop loose way too easy! I used a pull the LE spar, while using my thumb against the fitting and pull/twist the spreader loose type move!

Tmadz is right though, this move does leave enough spar exposed to cause a tear in the sail, so be careful!

Thanks for all the advice. Sorry, I've been busy/away so didn't get to post again until now. "Better wind day" was the next day - flew for about 3 hours. It was fun. Also acquired a tool that helps with removing spreaders. :) Sadly Must86's suggestion probably won't get used much since the kite doesn't seem to fit in my car trunk at full length.

• Like 1

I routinely leave fully assembled kites in my vehicle ready to pop out & fly. Even in the little Geo. Can only do that with Revs in the van because of length. But may be an invitation for a break-in too.

• Like 1

Just reread all 22 previous posts & this is so much like thoughts I've been through in the recent past as I've explored SLK's, 2 line, quad & finally gliders. This is my 200th post & I still have much to learn. My KiteLife friends are always so helpful. Thanks one & all.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...