KiteLife Forum

Thinking about 2 lines

dragonfish

• 2 months later...

Just read this thread, and am liking my new Niknak so much when the winds are not strong enough to fly my Revs, that my interest in a good dual line kite has been swayed a bit. I would like to get a kite designed by the same person that designed the Niknak, because I love the way it flies. I started reading some reviews and opinions by owners, on the Widow NG, which is designed and even sold by the folks that I got my Niknak from. I heard from one owner that had flown the Widow Maker several times, after getting a Widow NG, and said that they were pretty similar. I am not into tricks, but rather into flying precision patterns, and just relaxing while I fly. The price point of the Widow which is about half that of the Widow Maker, is also very appealing. If I had to pay $300 for a second dual line kite, I would probably pass on the entire idea. I have yet to read anything by a Widow NG owner, that is not positive about this kite. The one thing that seems to be mentioned when comparing the Widow and Widow maker, is the low wind performance of the Widow Maker is a bit better than the Widow. I did come up with a video showing the Widow NG flying in 3-5 mph. Since I need something to overlap what my Niknak can do ( 1-9 mph) , I am thinking that the Widow would be a good option. Any other opinions by owners, would be welcomed.

• Like 1

If you didn't buy a cheap quad line kite, why consider a cheap duallie ? The real advantage of a high end kite is that it retains resale value if you don't click with it. A mid grade kite like the Widow NG isn't worth selling if you don't like it. Don't give in to the impulse to gather more kites, obtain good kites that will last you a lifetime. If it turns out you actually don't like them, you could either sell or trade them for something that you do like...

• Like 3

This thread is what swayed me.

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=10975.0

Seems like the fliers that are discussing this kite in many threads that I have read, have a very positive opinion of it, and I would assume that they would be much more critical of a a kites performance, than I would, since they seem to be pretty experienced fliers. . I am hoping that I will like it it as much as I like the Niknak.

If you can fly before you buy, that is a bonus.

But hey, if you like the look if it I'd say don't worry about the price. I'm learning duals on a custom built kite and I don't worry too much about it. Broken spas can be replaced, holes can be patched.

Fly something that makes you happy.

If you can fly before you buy, that is a bonus.

But hey, if you like the look if it I'd say don't worry about the price. I'm learning duals on a custom built kite and I don't worry too much about it. Broken spas can be replaced, holes can be patched.

Fly something that makes you happy.

And it comes in my favorite color :)

post-8031-0-96872500-1397388802_thumb.jp

I have the yellow and black version. I really enjoy flying the widow NG. I love my Revs but it's fun to fly something different every now and again. You can do tricks on it but it's great just to cruise around. If I was going to spend $300 I would get another Rev pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have the yellow and black version. I really enjoy flying the widow NG. I love my Revs but it's fun to fly something different every now and again. You can do tricks on it but it's great just to cruise around. If I was going to spend $300 I would get another Rev pro.

Exactly my thinking. I might attempt to learn a trick or two, but frankly even watching someone do these tricks, has no appeal at all to me. I flew RC Helicopters for years, and some flyers like myself, just enjoyed precision flying and flying around in a relaxing manner. Other fliers got into extreme 3D stunts like this http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=250_1367495985 which I never had the slightest interest in. Looks like the copter is having a fit..So basically, I am looking for a reasonably priced dualie, with the ability to fly smoothly, and predictably, and this new Widow NG seems to fill the bill. I was told by an owner of one, that if you buy it from Kites and Fun Things ,com, which is owned by the designer of the Skyburner Kites and the Widow NG , Jon Trennepohl, he will check out the Widow NG prior to shipping it, and autograph it too. I purchased my Niknak, from them, and they were a pleasure to deal with. They also have the AKA discount, so the price is even 10% less.

Just ordered a Red Widow NG.

Just received a UPS confirmation of delivery for my new Widow NG, tomorrow afternoon, from Kites and Fun Things. On a side note, I wonder how many sales some dealers lose because they don't bother replying to questions on their email, and the customer moves on and buys from another dealer. This is the second time I have experienced this in a month with the same dealer. Won't be bothering with that dealer again.

Just received a UPS confirmation of delivery for my new Widow NG, tomorrow afternoon, from Kites and Fun Things. On a side note, I wonder how many sales some dealers lose because they don't bother replying to  questions on their email, and the customer moves on and buys from another dealer. This is the second time I have experienced this in a month. Won't be bothering with that dealer again.  

When I first got interested I didn't receive anything back from 2 dealers. That was 8 revs ago!

Just received a UPS confirmation of delivery for my new Widow NG, tomorrow afternoon, from Kites and Fun Things. On a side note, I wonder how many sales some dealers lose because they don't bother replying to questions on their email, and the customer moves on and buys from another dealer. This is the second time I have experienced this in a month. Won't be bothering with that dealer again.

When I first got interested I didn't receive anything back from 2 dealers. That was 8 revs ago!

I find that very surprising. I have worked for major companies all my life, and sometimes I would get 50 or more emails a day, requiring complex replies, and if we didn't respond in a day, we heard about it. These Kite shops can't be that busy, that they can't take 15 minutes out of their day to respond to potential customers. Very unprofessional in my opinion.

• Like 1

That's just the way of kite folks, very laid back & I'll get to it tomorrow attitude. Some are better than others, but if you need an answer right away when dealing with kites, call the phone #. Kite flying isn't professional, it's the exact opposite.

That's just the way of kite folks, very laid back & I'll get to it tomorrow attitude. Some are better than others, but if you need an answer right away when dealing with kites, call the phone #. Kite flying isn't professional, it's the exact opposite.

Tried calling, always get voicemail, don't return voicemails either. I have found a few dealers that seem to value customer service, and those are the dealers that will get all my business.

Some of these dealers do it on the side and/or may not be that service oriented. I have a couple of dealers that were absolute trash. Almost put me off kiting entirely at the beginning. Glad I read more and found some good referrals off of the forums.