KiteLife Forum

Frustrated Beginner

Musicmade

:blushing: I have a dual string sport kite. Not a huge one but wing span of about 48". I HATE this kite! I have never got the darn thing up in the air. I had Al Washington give me some simple pointers this last weekend at the Brookings Kite Festival, but I still can't get it in the air. My question is, did I start with to difficult of a kite? Any recommendations? Musicmade

Coupla questions come to mind -- first, what make and model of kite are we talking about? And second, how much wind has been available for your first flights?

There are numerous smaller kites out there (48" is considered more or less middle-sized for a stunt kite) that need a lot of wind to fly well, and some that don't fly well in any amount of wind without at least a bit of tweaking by the likes of some of the folks whom you'll meet if you hang around here for a while.

Then again, I think Al Washington could probably make a brick fly, and look cool doing it :blushing: !

Good winds --

-- Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for your responce. Weeelllll I can't even find a brand name on the kite. And to be honest I don't remember where I bought it. Its made in china!?! :confused!:

And like the blonde I am, I forgot to take the kite with me to the Festival! But he was showing me with someone elses kite. And I agree he could make anything fly! He is aaawesome!

The wind here can be pretty hefty. And the couple times we did try to fly it was rather windy but sporatic. We live on the oregon coast also, just in coos bay oregon.

Music,

Is the size of that kite 48" when assembled or laid out flat on the ground?

Smaller kites give you the total wingspan whereas other kites will give you the assembled wing span.

If you can afford it, you should treat yourself to a larger kite. Firstly, they are easier to fly. Secondly, they have better wing loading, meaning that they will fly in lesser winds.

Prism, New Tech, and Premier have great intro kites in the 6 foot range (assembled wing span).