KiteLife Forum

So I Learned the Dead Launch With My 4D Today

dmcneil

As much as I flown my 4D it is surprising I have not broken any of the frame. Lost a spreader one day, went back the next & found it. A bit of luck has been used up on that one. I would also say take it easy when flying over abrasive surfaces (asphalt for me). The nose is not very heavy & I have had to repair mine. I have also wore through the leading edge fabric in a few places dragging it around without mercy.

Yeah, I'm convinced Prism put that in their video so they could sell more kites & parts ! Although it CAN be done, a little walk never hurt anybody... Funny thing is, old Prism kites are really the only kites that can do this recovery reliably, because they have a slightly up-turned nose. Eclipse, Illusion, I2k, and Elixir. Not really a good idea with any modern kites...

• Like 1

My dead launch successes have come mostly in mowed hay fields where the stubby cut grass allowed a bit of air under the kite. But hay fields have other problems like briers that can snag your kite or lines. I walk to the kite often. I have learned to like short line sets. I am a highly experienced novice for sure.

Broke the T on my 4D trying that too, don't think we have too much of an exclusive club :-)

Find it works on my other Prism and Sea Devil, most of the time anyway.

Don't fly on sand or tarmac much though, mostly over grass.

Thinking about it, yep, have 4D right beside me now, should have ordered 2 T pieces!