KiteLife Forum

Wear Sunscreen & A Hat (graphic content)

Nick Russell

If you are squeamish, I apologize in advance for this photograph. It’s not a pretty sight. But I think showing it serves a purpose. In my younger days I spent a lot of time in the outdoors running rifle ranges in the Army, hunting, fishing, doing wildlife photography, kayaking, hiking and such, and now I'm into kite flying. I never bothered to use sunscreen or to wear a wide brimmed hat. At best I usually wore a baseball cap.

The result has been a number of precancerous spots on my face and ears, and now I am undergoing treatment with Fluorouracil cream to prevent them from getting worse. The stuff has to be applied every night for 21 days, and today is day 10. Basically, it’s a chemical peel that takes away the old skin and (hopefully) the problem areas with it. As bad as it looks, it feels much worse, with terrible burning and itching. Right now I pretty much want to just rip my skin off. The good news is that they tell me I’ll be really pretty once it’s all over and since I’ve never been pretty before, I’m looking forward to it.

Please, friends, protect yourself so you don’t find yourself where I am right now. Whenever you’re going to be outside flying kites, golfing, or whatever, wear sunscreen and a hat that protects your skin from those harmful rays. Trust me, you don’t want to go through this if you can avoid it.

post-7889-0-47227400-1386052343_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Hey Nick...

You are so right... but we didn't have sunscreen back then. I remember peeling sheets of skin off from sunburn when I was a kid. I wear sunscreen now, and a big Tilley hat, but the damage has been done.

Attached is some incentive for anyone looking to remember their SPF 50 & a hat !

~Rob.

post-786-0-82432400-1386069673_thumb.jpg

Standard kitefliers uniform anymore - wide brimmed hat, sunscreen ( or a Buff ), long sleeve UV rated shirt, long pants, even a set of goggles to protect eyes!!!

I surfed as a teen (late '60s), it was a fashion to be totally tanned back then!! Lucky no permanent damage so far, but through tempting fate!!

COVER UP! :ani_idea:

• Like 1

I have been a beach bum most of my life and worked outdoors in Florida. Not until recently do I try to take care. All of the above are put into use. Mostly the hat , sunscreen, and uv based materials. Just got a buff, it will get a good workout in a few days ;) .......don't forget the eyes with quality shades!

I agree with all of the above. We lost my father in law a few years back that all started with melanoma. My wife, with her pale Irish skin, has never had to bug me about covering up. Luckily the kids have followed our advice too.

I love my Tilley, Stetson, fedora hats. I am a big fan of Buff's now. They have UV rated as well as hot and cold weather versions. Easier to wear and more versatile than a bandana. Also, have learned from servicemen that they swear by them.

I love being outside, but the smart ones take care of themselves so that they can be outside all the time without a second thought.

• Like 1

UVA rays are the same intensity on June 20th at 14:00 as they are on December 20th at 09:00. I had one removed this year. I spent my whole adult life working outdoors. Sunscreen goes on my face every day.

@

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

post-253-13863163073309_thumb.jpg

I'd like to add one more item ... a high UV rated lip gloss. If you end up with sunburned lips - yes they can burn - you're in for an extremely painful experience.

Cheers,

Tom

One of the reasons I went to using a "Buff"! 2 years ago at WSIKF, even using a lip gloss, I burnt my lips - so bad!! Took almost a month to heal fully! If you try out a "Buff", make sure to get one that is UV rated, they make several and not all have the UV protection!!

• Like 2

I'd like to add one more item ... a high UV rated lip gloss. If you end up with sunburned lips - yes they can burn - you're in for an extremely painful experience.

Cheers,

Tom

One of the reasons I went to using a "Buff"! 2 years ago at WSIKF, even using a lip gloss, I burnt my lips - so bad!! Took almost a month to heal fully! If you try out a "Buff", make sure to get one that is UV rated, they make several and not all have the UV protection!!

After watching Bazzer move from a handkerchief to a "Buff", I decided to follow suit. Got one, but now I need some sunshine!!! Oh well, KP is just around the corner.

Cheers,

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad to hear everyone is serious about sun exposure. I do have one request though. Can everybody stop sharing photos of their medical procedures?

I think the images are valid, and have been just short of oozing...

Topic title updated for fair warning, carry on, erstwhile exchange of experience and shock value here. :)

• Like 1

As the original poster, I'm sorry my picture upset anybody. I was just trying to show how serious this can be, and hopefully keep others from making my mistake.

Since the chemical peel didn't do the whole job, I'm going to be having surgery sometime in the next few days to remove some of the more serious spots.

Not apology necessary Nick, it is what it is... Still a worthy share of experience and information.

Sorry to hear about the added treatment.

I know nothing about it first-hand, but if you're deeply concerned you might also look into raw food and high-level antioxidants.

Again, I know nothing - I'm just saying. :)

Best wishes for a strong recovery in any case!

• Like 1

I've had two melanomas removed on separate occasions. Missing part of my right ear, as I didn't want to bother with the two or three extra surgeries needed for reconstruction.

The literature seems to blame several severe sunburns (water blisters covering 20-40% of my body) when I was younger than 18 or 20.

I still won't use sunscreen or wear long sleeves (although I do wear a hat and avoid excess sun). My opportunity to avoid melanoma was missed 60 years ago.

I get a full skin exam once a year and self-scan regularly. Any new brown spot or patch needs to be checked by a professional immediately.

Most non-melanoma skin cancers are much slower growing. My father had several, and always said he would "fix" them by dying on them (which he eventually did at age 87).

• Like 1

As the original poster, I'm sorry my picture upset anybody. I was just trying to show how serious this can be, and hopefully keep others from making my mistake.

Since the chemical peel didn't do the whole job, I'm going to be having surgery sometime in the next few days to remove some of the more serious spots.

No offense taken Nick, It was just starting to feel like malady sharing at the senior center. I've gotten enough of that after taking care of both sets of parents . It was just me sorry. Don't let the message get obfuscated.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...