KiteLife Forum

Wanted: KiteLife Editor

Hi all,

With everything I'm taking on in the coming year, it's become painfully apparent that I need help with the magazine side of things... Fully evidenced by the fact I haven't added a new article in several weeks.

Additionally, this will help clear my head to focus more on WRITING more articles and "how to" stuff of my own for the archives.

It's not a complicated job, generally takes about 5-10 minutes to add an article (with photos) and we do about 2-3 a month on average - takes NO technical knowledge, if you can use gmail, you can do this.

My typical requirements when fielding submissions:

- 500 words or more

- 6 photos minimum

- photos watermarked with photographer

- use captions for photo file names

(this should all be done or amended by the authors you'd be working with)

Sadly, I'm not in a position to pay anyone for this job... But, it is a low-work and high-passion role that I'd love to teach someone, and it's a chance for YOU to help celebrate outstanding efforts in the community by soliciting or uploading good media from others.

We use the Wordpress platform, and you can save any new article as a "draft" for me to review and offer suggestions before it goes live to our readers. ;)

Additionally, it would also be 100% acceptable (and encouraged) for you to build a small network of assistant editors / field reporters.

You'd get full credit on the website, I'd be happy to maintain a free Kitelife subscription for the term of your participation, and I will definitely be able to send a surprise goodie every now and then after particularly strong efforts. ;)

If you see a chance for you to make an impact here, please let me know via PM or ask any questions below - thanks so much!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What have I gotten myself into?

OK, so I only asked myself (and a few select advisors) that for a couple of days. :-)

I'm stoked to be involved, flattered that John is trusting me with his baby and optomistic about the future of this institution.

Allen

• Like 2

Already a natural working relationship - the mag is in great hands, already enjoying Allen's verve and fresh outlook.

For the record, I've probably know Allen for 20+ years on the field and forums but likely hadn't exchanged more than a few brief conversations during that time - still, some folks you know. :)

Thank you sir! Phew! lol!

What have I gotten myself into?

OK, so I only asked myself (and a few select advisors) that for a couple of days. :-)

I'm stoked to be involved, flattered that John is trusting me with his baby and optomistic about the future of this institution.

Allen

Howdy Allen,

Congratulations! If I may make a suggestion for when new articles are posted, would it be possible to give a couple of sentences summary of the article in the post?

• Like 2

Not to step on Allen's toes here, but I just want to clarify the request...

Sounds like we're talking about a concise summary of the article content, but I'm not sure where in the site you'd like to see this appear - could you provide a link or description of the placement you're envisioning?

May be some technical or template issues that limit the ability, but I'd like to explore this further to be sure I understand and see what we can do with it.

Thanks a million for sharing your thoughts Howard, precious few take the time to provide constructive feedback. :)

• Like 1

John, it appears when articles are posted here it is done via the "quote" codes for ip.board? What I am wondering is if under the quote or however the article is posted here, can a summary be added to the post here at KL? Just as if someone posts an image already on the net, then comments on it in the same post. The reason I feel value in this is that sometimes the article title does not indicate the topic.

post-5188-0-94885800-1389756760_thumb.jp

Aha, got it now... That'd be the technical side, my ballpark.

Basically add at least the first 150 words or whatever of the article, if not an actual brief crafted summary.

On the explore / to do list (gotta balance other priorities), tap on this again if I take too long.

Solid suggestion - thanks for your patience brother. :)

• Like 2

FYI, those forum posts are automatically generated by the magazine using the author's info.

Checked the tech we have, and there is no settin for excerpt - I have suggested it to the developer though, an he has added some of my ideas in the past.

Cross your fingers. ;)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...