KiteLife Forum

Bridle Adjustments

kitepilot

What are the maximum bridle adjustments made to the towpoints of your stunt kites? How far from the manufacturer's reference mark do you most often set up? 1/4"; 1/2"; 2"; 4"? Written instructions I've read say to move the towpoint in 1/4" increments. Does it upset the handling characteristics if the two bridle legs are offset by 1/4"? Do you always have tape measures in your pockets to ensure correct tuning adjustments? ;)

My Beetle has two reference marks. The red indicates a location for light winds, the black indicates a location for strong winds. Both marks are only 3/4" apart.

The reference points match the company's recommended wind range; 3mph at the red marker, 15mph at the black marker flew as the best adjustments. I then flew the Beetle in 4-6mph winds with the towpoint two inches above and below the reference marks. Towards the nose and I had a feather; no pull, little control. Towards the tail and I had a brick; slid back to the ground, little control.

John - your award winning videos are AWESOME ;) ! You must fly in several different wind conditions during the course of just one competition. How do you set your bridles? Do you set them for optimum, then lock them into place just a bit beyond the optimum to do your slack line tricks? Over just one weekend here in San Diego I've flown in moderate beach winds, mild mountain meadow breezes, and strong hot desert winds. How many times do You adjust your bridles?

Didn't mean for this to get sooo longwinded. Appreciate your replies! :) kitepilot

What are the maximum bridle adjustments made to the towpoints of your stunt kites? How far from the manufacturer's reference mark do you most often set up? 1/4"; 1/2"; 2"; 4"? Written instructions I've read say to move the towpoint in 1/4" increments. Does it upset the handling characteristics if the two bridle legs are offset by 1/4"? Do you always have tape measures in your pockets to ensure correct tuning adjustments?

I generally don't adjust more than 1/8" at a time, unless it's obvious that bridle is way off.

John - your award winning videos are AWESOME You must fly in several different wind conditions during the course of just one competition.

Thanks! Yes, the variety of wind wind conditions a competition pilot must contend with is amazing... But if you learn to fly all of your kites in extreme conditions (heavy kite+light wind, light kite+heavy wind) you're already prepared. ;)

How do you set your bridles? Do you set them for optimum, then lock them into place just a bit beyond the optimum to do your slack line tricks? Over just one weekend here in San Diego I've flown in moderate beach winds, mild mountain meadow breezes, and strong hot desert winds. How many times do You adjust your bridles?

I set 'em and leave 'em... My bridles are set to acheive a certain performance (i.e. trick, response, speed, precision, etc), and I just work harder in high or low conditions in order to get the same "oomph" out of my kite. The only modification I do make is adding or removing tail weights, depending on wind speed and what I'm trying to do.

Didn't mean for this to get sooo longwinded. Appreciate your replies!

No worries, keep it coming... I'll share what I can. ;)

Thanks, John, for the reply. If you adjust your bridles 1/8” at a time, what’s the furthest from the factory reference marker that you set the towline?

My Beetle oscillates after a corner turn, wobbles on a sideslide, and falls out of a snapstall. I was hoping there was a magic bridle adjustment. :( Or that I’d be advised to go out and buy a new particular kite. Guess I’ll admit that my flying skills are still at the beginner level, then go out and practice some more! Precision, precision, precision are the three p’s, right? :unsure: Thanks again, kitepilot

There is no standard distance from factory settings, since kite designs vary so much that you never know... But I usually end up 1/2" to 3/4" lower on the bridle (nose back). :(

As for the characteristics you described in your Beetle, there isn't much getting around it... The kite is so flexible, it will indeed oscillate in decent winds.

I'd recommend you learn all applicable concepts on that kite, then move on to a larger one... Just post what you're looking to be able to do with your next kite, both here and on GWTW, people will come up with suggestions. :unsure: