KiteLife Forum

Video editing

SparkieRob

So, I got myself an action camera to film my flying. To show and the be critiqued. Nothing quite like that "3rd person perspective" to highlight how off your flying can be. I'm slowly getting a few Gigs worth of video which is fine to view on my laptop but the next step is to upload to YouTube or Vimeo.

What program do you use to edit and make the file smaller so it can be uploaded?

I run windows XP.

Thanks.

I also use Windows live movie maker ( on windows 8) and find it easy to use and plenty good enough for most stuff (unless you're a budding Spielberg!). Don't worry too much about file sizes for Youtube - some of mine have been 200-300 Mb files or more when I uploaded them but Youtube will adjust. Go for the best picture quality you can. If you really need to reduce the files sizes look on Google for a program called Handbrake which reduces files by around 50%.

( You do realise that now you have a camera that no matter how good you are normally, as soon as you turn that camera on you'll fly like a complete newbie!!....I have a lot of footage of me doing the walk of shame........)

• Like 1

I also use Windows live movie maker  ( on windows 8) and find it easy to use and plenty good enough for most stuff (unless you're a budding Spielberg!).  Don't worry too much about file sizes for Youtube - some of mine have been 200-300 Mb files or more when I uploaded them but Youtube will adjust.  Go for the best picture quality you can.  If you really need to reduce the files sizes look on Google for a program called Handbrake which reduces files by around 50%.

( You do realise that now you have a camera that no matter how good you are normally, as soon as you turn that camera on you'll fly like a complete newbie!!....I have a lot of footage of me doing the walk of shame........)

I know what you mean Hadge, I had a few "I'll just check if I'm in shot oh sh*t" moments...

I've tried quite a few free video editing programs Rob. For me, the down fall of all but one is the sound aspect. The one that handled volume well was super complicated; more than I wanted to deal with. I roll with Win Movie Maker as well for most everything.

I am not sure about youtube, I use vimeo.com and they have basic editing once the vid is uploaded. One thing about Vimeo is that if you don't pay you're limited to I believe it's 500 megs per week.

Handbrake is a decent program, support/tutorials are somewhat lacking and the version I tired about 2 years ago didn't support avi files . That's a big negative for me, maybe they rectified that in newer versions. The best option is maybe to set the record quality a bit lower. Dropping the file quality a notch or two really shouldn't make a noticeable difference unless you're watching the vid on a medium-high to high end television.

• Like 1

Hi all, sorry for the delay - been busy actually DOING this. :)

I use iMovie on a Mac for editing (including picture-in-picture, etc), then...

1 - either upload to YouTube as is (best, raw quality).

2 - or, run it through DivX Converter (license is like $5.99, cuts file size down significantly)

All 10 of the Rev tutorials and my 4 new promo videos this week, all came from these tools. ;)

• Like 1

Does anyone know how to get around YouTube's "user has not made content available for mobile devices" restriction? 3 out of the 5 videos I've published can't readily be viewed over a smartphone, because of the music I used, and lately I'm seeing all sorts of cool new vids ;) with music that would normally stop it from being played on my device.

based on various different avenues, Youtube is doing this for revenue reasons and/or ACTA reasons. There are lotso thoughts and fixes, none seem to work. The best option to me, is to break free from Youtube/Google and check out other such places.

• Like 1

based on various different avenues, Youtube is doing this for revenue reasons and/or ACTA reasons. There are lotso thoughts and fixes, none seem to work. The best option to me, is to break free from Youtube/Google and check out other such places.

I'm currently looking into YouTube and Vimeo.

based on various different avenues, Youtube is doing this for revenue reasons and/or ACTA reasons. There are lotso thoughts and fixes, none seem to work. The best option to me, is to break free from Youtube/Google and check out other such places.

Vimeo also restricts based on licensing. ... any suggestions for a different service besides YouTube/Vimeo?

Still, PLENTY of people are getting around this on YouTube- I think it's in how you link to the video?

I take my chances with audio on YouTube, but generally have good luck...

Usually the process goes like this...

1 - upload video

2 - completes processing

3 - notification of music license

4 - acknowledge notification

5 - business as usual

On rare occasion, they'll either ( a ) mute the audio and force me to re-upload with new music / use their audio swap function, or ( b ) only ONCE have they actually notified me that a video would be taken down permanently... Something to understand is that while they do want to enforce the licenses, POPULAR music is part of our culture, it captures memories and parts of our lives... To a point, they realize it's to their benefit for people to do covers, homages and personal arts themed with current music, it all adds to the marketing - there's no science to it that I've found, but all this plays in I'm sure. :)

Vimeo is clean and has better video quality, but puts more restrictions on # of uploads, resolution, etc, unless you upgrade to a premium account, and they do not allow commercial videos.

For me, you cannot beat the mass exposure of YouTube... I'll take my chances, in exchange for the biggest video audience in the world. :)

• Like 1

SkyPuppets, have you had Vimeo pull something of yours (due to it not being yours...lol) or are you just going by their TOS? I am sure any vid hosting place with have something about this in their TOS and I have never had anything pulled by Vimeo due to the music I chose to add to my vids.

I broke free of Youtube/Google a bit ago because an acquaintance of mine put up an anti mainstream line of thought political video that he had made. Youtube pulled it. He then re-uploaded it, they pulled it again. Two months later, he re-uploaded. They then locked him out of his Google account and Youtube. He had everything on Google: contacts, schedule, documents, the whole deal. Why anyone would put themselves in that position is beyond me. However the point is Google never sent any messages to him giving him a "hey, chill out" and the vid he posted wasn't anything outrageous, it was simply truth backed by documented facts and it was anti-establishment... Google simply screwed him. For that reason alone, I found better (for me) in Vimeo.