KiteLife Forum

Frame storage

Hasek

How do you store your extra rods in your kite bag? For now I just keep them in the plastic bags the frames come in. I've never had an issue doing this and was just wondering if anyone does anything to protect the rods a bit more than just laying them in the kite bag.

• Like 1

I use a medium size cardboard tube in one of the larger sleeves of my Rev bag! Still have room for a kite or two in it, but it adds a layer of protection against being stepped on or stuff shifting around in my trunk! Needs replacing sometimes, mine is warped from getting wet!! May get a piece of PVC next time!! Holds about 4 extra frames!

DOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as the kids like to say: 'My Bad!' Already ordered it.............The tube (in blue) was only $12.48 (it is listed today at $11.04) + shipping.

We do buy a bit from Amazon as well Amazon Marketplace merchants. Does this work for both or just direct Amazon purchases? Is it as easy as starting at the above link to Amazon and doing our normal Amazon purchases?

If so, we'll add it to our bookmarks and use it to start an Amazon search & purchases. If it's free money for making purchases you would be making an any rate, someone (Kitelife) should be getting a bit of it.

• Like 1

Not a worry. :)

Far as I know, long as you enter Amazon initially using a KL link, it gives us like 5%-6% for the referral of any sales made during that visit.

I believe it works as a cookie for 45 days or something, but jumping devices and browsers, I always suggest folks just replace their primary Amazon bookmark.

Thanks a lot of thinking of it, every little bit goes a long way! :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hrm, just realized I never weighed in on this one...

Having been a Rev flier since 1990, I've never stored my spars in a sleeve or anything, just grouped together in one of the slots of my kite bag.

Over time, spars might take little dings or minor chips in the ends of the rods, but I am SO indifferent with my equipment sometimes, and I've never had any problems from it... Again, that's just me (not really process-oriented) and if you have the discipline to sleeve everything up, then I'm sure your equipment will last longer than mine. :)

• Like 1

Well, now that you brought this up again, I use a very rigid (2"dia) cardboard mailing tube, with the white plastic plugs, that fit tightly into each end. I keep the frame (sets) pieces, in their respective plastic bags, but I slide them all down into the mailing tube, just for a bit more protection. Both ends of the mailing tube have a foam insert, to protect the ends of the frame pieces. I keep one end of the tube sealed with mailing tape, so only one end (the top) can be opened. Works for me........... :ani_whistling:

Yeah, probably overkill, but what can I say ! :cat_sick:

• Like 1

Good stuff, thanks for the replies. It seems there are many that just put the rods in the bag as I do with no issues. With that, I don't think I will go out of my way to get some protection, although if I happen by something, I'll snatch it up.

• Like 1

As I am always trying to cram in "just one more kite I might need" I keep it compact counting on the inherent toughness of the carbon tubes. So I go with plastic sleeves they came in, rubber bands holding the bundled spars together with my good intentions ID labels randomly falling off creating extra confusion. Did a 180 followed with a barrel roll in my pickup last week, three kites on board, all survived, truck's totaled though. I'm fine.

• Like 4

Did a 180 followed with a barrel roll in my pickup last week, three kites on board, all survived, truck's totaled though. I'm fine.

Yikes. Glad you and and the kites are fine. Too bad about the truck...but that's what insurance is for right?

While I'm here...I keep one of my extra frame sets in the plastic sleeve thing. Don't have one for the other set, and I thought about making a fabric sleeve just for the sake of keeping the set together in one place and not rolling around everywhere, but I never got around to it. So now, that set just goes loose into a kite sleeve next to a kite. At least it's somewhat contained.

You know what they say about protection especially in this day and age. Me I think I will get the art tube to protect them at the airport. Anyone know if you can take a rev bag on the plane as carryon?

I have a couple of rods in a plastic bag, loose in my mega bag. I have a couple of spare rods in my main kite case. I also have spare supersonic rods in with a supersonic and lastly my rev 1 spares are with my rev 1. So a bit of a mess really.

The kite bag won't go through Perth airport as carry on. Too big. Not to mention the dangerous goods inside. Strings that could be used to choke someone.

Did a 180 followed with a barrel roll in my pickup last week, three kites on board, all survived, truck's totaled though. I'm fine.

Gosh Ralph, I completely missed the part about the truck. I read "180 followed by a barrel roll", and my mind was thinking, hmmm, fancy "kite maneuvers". The part about the truck, didn't even register. Did you hit some ice, or maybe hydro plane on some standing water ?

Really glad to hear that you are ok. :ani_victory:

Gosh Ralph, I completely missed the part about the truck. I read "180 followed by a barrel roll", and my mind was thinking, hmmm, fancy "kite maneuvers". The part about the truck, didn't even register. Did you hit some ice, or maybe hydro plane on some standing water ?

Really glad to hear that you are ok. :ani_victory:

After two sub-zero nights it was finally a 28 degree morning & roads seemed clear but I guess there were some slick spots left. Witnesses said I was going 12 to 15 mph when I turned a corner coming off a bridge, slid, could not recover & went off a twenty foot embankment sideways. Rolled landing on the top finally tipping over onto my wheels truck still running. Actually drove my totaled truck on into town to put in my insurance claim. Good job GM! Maybe a few angels riding with me. 4D, Micron & SLE did not move from their stored position. Everything else flew though. First wreck ever, but a good one. Edit: Now I have replaced my '02 with a classic 1950 truck.

• Like 1