KiteLife Forum

Cody Kites

kitepilot

Found an interesting link about Cody Kites and biography of the designer at

http://www.drachen.org/about_archive_cody.html

Have seen a lot of reference to the Cody Kite among these forum pages. Raises a couple of questions...

1) How large a Cody Kite is necessary to lift a digital camera, mounting system, and servo actuators; about the size of a cigar box and weighing four pounds or so?

2) Does a Cody Kite break down into a neat and easily transportable package?

Thanks, kitepilot :o

Although not specifically about Cody Kites, this article at http://www.kaper.us/basics/lifting_R.htm is very instructive.

You may find others at http://www.kitebuilder.com/techshee.htm that are more specific.

http://www.kaper.us/ also has a lot of info about KAP (Kite Assisted Photography) rigs and equipment.

• 2 weeks later...
:D Kitepilot, to answer your questions about using a Cody to lift a camera and equipment, I would suggest using a Cody War kite rather than the Extended Wing. A War kite with a 6 foot wing span would do the job very easily and add the Top Sail if you can for extra lift and stability. As for breaking the kite down into a compact package, sorry, you have the wrong kite, this kite would break down to just under 4 feet long in a bag about 3 inches across. The Cody is a very dramatic looking kite in the sky, it is a very stable flier in good winds and it is a pure lifting kite but it also requires some set up time and as I have said it can not be broken down any further than its length from leading edge to trailing edge without adding additional time to set up :) If I have not dampened your interest in the kite go to www.rickbrowncodys.com and look around, if you would like to build your own Cody let me know and I will let you know where to buy some good instructions in England.

• 3 weeks later...
If I have not dampened your interest in the kite go to www.rickbrowncodys.com and look around, if you would like to build your own Cody let me know and I will let you know where to buy some good instructions in England.

If you would be so kind as to let us know where to purchase plans, O god of all that is Cody-like, I for on ewould be for ever in your debt! :P

If I have not dampened your interest in the kite go to www.rickbrowncodys.com and look around, if you would like to build your own Cody let me know and I will let you know where to buy some good instructions in England.

If you would be so kind as to let us know where to purchase plans, O god of all that is Cody-like, I for on ewould be for ever in your debt! :)

Oh boy.

all right Rick....oh god of cody's... we bow our heads as you fly into the distance hanging by your foot in the line as the Cody floats away..

oops got to go to lunch. lol

BB

Penny :P

If you would be so kind as to let us know where to purchase plans, O god of all that is Cody-like, I for on ewould be for ever in your debt! :o

Oh boy.

all right Rick....oh god of cody's... we bow our heads as you fly into the distance hanging by your foot in the line as the Cody floats away..

oops got to go to lunch. lol

BB

Penny :o

BLASPHEMER!!!!!!! :P;):)

• 11 months later...