KiteLife Forum

To App or To Web: This Is My Question

SkyPuppets LimitVoodoo

Hello everyone,

So many smart folks out there who frequent this forum, I'm hoping someone could help me understand, when using my smartphone for web-based interactions, when is it better to use the app versus using the web "mobile" version of a website? Both seem optimized for smartphone use..

Thanks in advance for any help!

In most cases, the App will make better use of the limited real-estate on a smartphone, unless the website can detect that it is being accessed by a smartphone and change itself to something suitable. (It is rare for a website to provide a really good smartphone version.)

That said, there some really terrible Apps out there. For any given site, you should probably try both ways and see which you like best.

• Like 1

Thanks Pete.

I really am hoping it's just going to be a case of what I prefer! I seem to have better luck with the mobile websites than yourself. I find most of the ones I use to be just as easy to use, working well on my Android. Further confusing me lol.

I'm also interested in how my hardware is involved. Apps sometimes have processes which run in the background, but use system resources to do so, where the web wouldn't (I think). And you have to store the app on the device. I'm also wondering which one would be more secure.

Websites, including the mobile versions, seem to be updated more frequently than some apps (ex. Pizza Hut). Both of them build up the phones registry list... Not sure which one adds more to the registry.. Impossible to clean the registry on a smartphone right now without doing a full reset.

Maybe I'm thinking too hard about it lol.

I use my iPhone for 99% of all my internet browsing. With only a few exceptions do I opt to go to the "Full Website". Most aren't optimised for mobiles but with the screen capabilities if the iPhone that isn't really a concern for me, pinch and zoom has almost become second nature.

As for apps. I would use an app over the web in most circumstances as they are more compact to use, use less data to maintain, are "trimmed down" to all the features that I use most and I can turn off the background refresh feature.

Security, that's a big grey area. For example, Facebook wants access to your contact list before you can post videos via the app. Geo location too can't be turned off too for all apps that use it.

I have been using an iPhone for 6 years as my primary gateway to the internet and only a hand full of times it has been frustrating.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

@Dexter Stephens Well a lot has changed in the 7 years since the previous post.. You are correct, A lot of people are loyal to iPhone but a lot are also just as adamantly loyal to Android and dare I say, Samsung.. And the inverse of that is also true. There are folks who won't even consider one because of the other..

The question though wasn't about branding but using the phone's Browser vs. an App like Tapatalk.. Personally, I do have the App installed on my phone but rarely use my phone for KiteLife. My Tablets work just fine using Chrome.. YMMV

I know a few folks here ONLY use Tapatalk for the most part so it's just a matter of personal preference across the board..

I will note that the KiteLife app does sometimes create duplicate posts and topics.