KiteLife Forum

New Member and Kite owner.

Captainbob

I started reading about kites a few days ago on the internet, and since then have watched a ton of videos, read forums, visited manufacturers and dealers websites, and tried to figure out what I should start with. I am a licensed private pilot, flew RC helicopters and aircraft for years, but gave all that up a decade ago when I retired. Miss flying, and looking at the videos of the stunt kites, brought back the desire to fly something. I live right next to an 80 acre park which has a very flat and level area on a rise, that is large and most of the time deserted. I found a Kite dealer right in Atlanta GA, Piedmont Kites, and went down there today and came home with an HQ Symphony 1.8. I wanted something that I wouldn't immediately wreck, and yet would challenge me a bit, and decided that this type of kite fit what I was looking for.

Looking at the videos of the delta type stunt kites, I decide that the foil style kites were more suited to the style of flying that I would wind up doing, just carving S turns and rolls, patterns, etc, and not being really interested in the trick part of flying. The price of the HQ was much lower that the Prism 1.9 which I was also considering, so I was a bit concerned about the quality of the HQ, but the dealer said that he loves his HQ 1.8 and flies it every week at Piedmont Park in Atlanta, which is right near his shop. As soon as the snow melts, I am going to the field and see if I can get in the air....Anxious to see what it is like. :ani_giveup:

• Like 2

Hey Captainbob,

Welcome to Kitelife. You got questions, we got answers. You got concerns, we'll be concerned with you. You want to fly - now you are talking.......

All kidding aside, there's a world of information here. Really, just ask, and you'll get lot's of feedback.....

We fly all kinds of kites - SLK's, DLK's, & QLK's, so just ask..........

Good luck with the HQ Symphony 1.8, but it's only going to get you in trouble (more kites) :cat_lol:

I guess the question I have from today, is that I checked a few videos on Youtube of the HQ Symphony 1.8 that had a tail on it around 20-40 feet. I was looking at the kite this afternoon and can't figure out how one would attach a tail to it. Hoping someone here would know if it could be done, in the future, was I get some experience in flying it.

I guess the question I have from today, is that I checked a few videos on Youtube of the HQ Symphony 1.8 that had a tail on it around 20-40 feet. I was looking at the kite this afternoon and can't figure out how one would attach a tail to it. Hoping someone here would know if it could be done, in the future, was I get some experience in flying it.

I don't have one of those kites, so I don't know for sure, but, just check along the trailing edge of the sail, closely, and look for a small loop, that may, or may not be there (?). If so, it should be sewn, either in the middle, or one on each back corner, or possibly, in all three places. If so, just hook your tail to the loop, either with a swivel, or just tie it on, using a pigtail, and a lark's head knot.

If there is not loop on your kite, and once you have become a bit more familiar with the kite, you can have someone sew a loop on the trailing edge, for you. I would also ask the local kite shop about it - the place you bought it. He may just fix you up.............. :ani_victory:

Good Luck...........

Welcome Friend. I'm impressed that you are already a subscriber & an AKA member too. The path you're on is just like the one I began a year & one half ago. I had a bit of kite experience but was basically starting new again. I chose a SnapShot 1.2 & my journey began. Many paths to choose in kiting so we want to hear from you along your way. Me, I am trying to do it all. I am very interested in hearing your questions & comments. Many times someone like you will have a perspective that brings thoughts that have not entered my mind. Glad you're here, join us in chat.

• Like 1

I have a 1.8 Symphony and I have a 25 ft. rainbow transition tail on it. The tail really adds to the presence in the sky. There is a loop in the middle of the trailing edge of the kite. That's where I fasten the tail.

Welcome to the group.

kjm

• Like 2

I have a 1.8 Symphony and I have a 25 ft. rainbow transition tail on it. The tail really adds to the presence in the sky. There is a loop in the middle of the trailing edge of the kite. That's where I fasten the tail.

Welcome to the group.

kjm

I found a little velcro tab, that is apparently where the tail goes. Funny, I called HQ this afternoon and the lady that answered the phone said that a tail doesn't belong on the 1.8. I think she thought I was talking about the tail you would place on a paper single string kite years ago :cat_shocked:

• Like 2

I have several rolls of 1" construction flagging tape that I use for tails. It's pretty cheap and comes in several neon colors. I usually add 40-60 feet to trace the sky when I fly. Lots of fun, pretty durable and recyclable too. You can find it and home improvement center.

• Like 3

Looking at the videos of the delta type stunt kites, I decide that the foil style kites were more suited to the style of  flying that I would wind up doing, just carving S turns and rolls, patterns,  etc, and not being  really interested in the trick part of flying.  The price of the HQ was much lower that the Prism 1.9 which I was also considering, so I was a bit concerned about the quality of the HQ, but the dealer said that he loves his HQ 1.8 and flies it every week at Piedmont Park in Atlanta, which is right near his shop. As soon as the snow melts, I am going to the field and see if I can get in the air....Anxious to see what it is like.    :ani_giveup:

Welcome to the forum Captainbob. I started my love of kites on a similarly-sized foil. Kept me thoroughly entertained for a year straight! I love the pull and the speed, buzzing the ground with a 40ft tail and trying for side slides... Memories :)

Based on what I quoted in the text above, I would say that if you were to progress beyond the dual-line foil you might look into getting a Revolution, quad-line kite. Have you checked out any of the Revolution kite videos? S-turns, rolls, pattern flying are all par for this kite, along with helicopter-like hovers, and the added social aspect of team flying.

Anyways, good winds to you, remember to ask JB for your membership number as it helps to banter for the monthly drawing :)

• Like 2

Welcome to the wonderful world of kiting!! I have a couple Symphony 1.8's, one on a bar, one with straps. A couple 1.7's, a 1.4,and larger. My go to high wind kite is the 1.8 with 320# lines. In winds above 20 that kite is an absolute thrill to fly. I recommend upgrading the lines, I've popped a many 150# linesets with that kite.

• Like 2

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I started on a Symphony 1.4 and have had foils, stunt deltas, single line and quad-line kites. That was less than five years ago. My quad-line (non-foil) kites have become my favorite type simply because of the amount of control you have over what the kite is doing. Don't like where it's going? Hit the brakes and stop in a fraction of second, back up or turn around or just stay where you stopped.

No matter what kind of kite you choose to fly, it will brings smiles to your face and memories of flying and friends that cannot be erased.

Enjoy. Go in any direction which suits you, or none at all. It's all good. Enjoy.

• Like 2

Hello and welcome. Unfortunately, your foil is not going to make you happy. I speak from experience. I was introduced to kite flying at the kite festival in Long Beach, WA this past summer when a fellow let me fly his Prism Snapshot 1.9. I immediately bought one and was quite content to fly S curves in the sky. Then, just a couple of days later I met a wonderful member of this forum named Jynx, who said, "Hey little boy, wanna fly my Revolution?" Being the innocent that I was, I said sure. Now I have two Revs as well! But then I saw a kid doing Amazing things with a Prism Quantum delta and I thought…. No, you'll never be happy with just one kite. Or two. Or three….

• Like 5

Welcome to the wonderful world of kiting!! I have a couple Symphony 1.8's, one on a bar, one with straps. A couple 1.7's, a 1.4,and larger. My go to high wind kite is the 1.8 with 320# lines. In winds above 20 that kite is an absolute thrill to fly. I recommend upgrading the lines, I've popped a many 150# linesets with that kite.

Two questions, what is the purpose of the bar as opposed to the straps, and I was thinking of getting a 200# line set as a spare, would that be better than the stock lines?

• Like 1

Love this topic, I just realized I was "liking" every post. KiteLife is great, not just kites, but great people!

Darn Kite pushers. They give you the first taste for free, then they get their hooks into you.

Two questions, what is the purpose of the bar as opposed to the straps, and I was thinking of getting a 200# line set as a spare, would that be better than the stock lines?

Some people like the bars for easier control. Foils don't do tricks like dual line deltas so you don't have all the line control moves for them. You'll see bars on larger parafoils for kite surfing, kiteboarding (skiing), landboarding, buggy's, etc.

And yes, definitely upgrade the line set if you plan on flying in higher winds. Winds above say 15 or so will pop 150# easy. Especially when turning while in the powerzone, the part of the wind window directly in front of you.

Looks like the choices I have seen are 220# and 300# Spectra. Would a 220# be an acceptable upgrade from the stock 150#, or should I go for the 300# which of course would be much heavier. I doubt if I will reach the high wind stage for quite awhile.