KiteLife Forum

New Member and Kite owner.

Captainbob

Not rubbing it in, but the Prism 1.9 already comes with 300# lines. The point is you just have to look for the details that usually account for price differences.

BTW, 300# lines should be plenty. I have broken only one line and that was on the shores of Lake Michigan when a buddy and I were flying it in front of a storm system coming through. 25mph+. And that was after about 40hours flying time on the lines. It was all I could handle and I'm a healthy 270lbs.

One other thing. If you're going to do some arm stretching flying, invest in some 2" wide 90 degree angle wrist straps. They don't dig into your wrists and skin as much.

• Like 1

Looks like I just joined the "dark side" and haven't even flown my new HQ Symphony 1.8 yet, thanks to some of the Rev fans on this forum introducing me to the Rev. I have a SLE 1.5 on the way from Awindofchange.com , and can't wait to get it.Already watching a bunch of tutorial videos, which are excellent by the way. Flying this type of kite has similarities to the years that I flew RC helicopters as far as hovering, moving in different directions as opposed to forward only, so I am looking forward to the challenge.

• Like 6

Pay attention to "Line Management" and "Line Equalizing"! Isn't any fun to get on the field, only to find lines are a mess! The method John uses is almost foolproof, learn and use it - EVERY TIME! Learn to make the method a habit!!

Equalizing is very important - even on new lines!!! Take them out, stake one end to a single fixed object, put your handles on, then compare how the 2 handles line up! Should be EXACTLY the same, if not, adjust as needed! You don't need an off line causing the kite to steer itself and fight you!

I see you're getting an SLE, it doesn't come with the longer leaders of a "B", so I would encourage you to make some yourself! Just be sure both leaders are the same - ie, knots the same distance from handle on both, etc! You only need to make new top leaders, the bottoms are OK just the way they are now!! John also has a tutorial on why the leader idea works!!

Have fun, BREATHE, and if the kite is gonna crash no matter what - GIVE TO THE KITE!! Step forward, throw your hands forward, take all the power out, and let it crash - gently!! Easy enough to go set up again, no fun putting up a broken kite!!! You panic and pull - just drives the kite harder into the ground!!

• Like 4

That's awesome news Capt Bob!!! I was going to let you get your feet wet on your dualie before I suggested a Rev. I LOVE all my Revs, EXP, B's, B2's,even a few Pro 's. It's nice to have a variety of kites in the bag to choose from. And when there's no wind, or bad weather, you can fly indoors as well. Talk to Wayne about indoors Rev flying if you have a question, as I haven't moved my Rev flying indoors yet. Just read the forums as they are a wealth of information about anything kites you can think of. Welcome to the Dark side.. We have cookies.

• Like 3

That's awesome news Capt Bob!!! I was going to let you get your feet wet on your dualie before I suggested a Rev. I LOVE all my Revs, EXP, B's, B2's,even a few Pro 's. It's nice to have a variety of kites in the bag to choose from. And when there's no wind, or bad weather, you can fly indoors as well. Talk to Wayne about indoors Rev flying if you have a question, as I haven't moved my Rev flying indoors yet. Just read the forums as they are a wealth of information about anything kites you can think of. Welcome to the Dark side.. We have cookies.

I never got cookies. What's up with that?

• Like 1

Pay attention to "Line Management" and "Line Equalizing"! Isn't any fun to get on the field, only to find lines are a mess! The method John uses is almost foolproof, learn and use it - EVERY TIME! Learn to make the method a habit!!

Equalizing is very important - even on new lines!!! Take them out, stake one end to a single fixed object, put your handles on, then compare how the 2 handles line up! Should be EXACTLY the same, if not, adjust as needed! You don't need an off line causing the kite to steer itself and fight you!

I see you're getting an SLE, it doesn't come with the longer leaders of a "B", so I would encourage you to make some yourself! Just be sure both leaders are the same - ie, knots the same distance from handle on both, etc! You only need to make new top leaders, the bottoms are OK just the way they are now!! John also has a tutorial on why the leader idea works!!

Have fun, BREATHE, and if the kite is gonna crash no matter what - GIVE TO THE KITE!! Step forward, throw your hands forward, take all the power out, and let it crash - gently!! Easy enough to go set up again, no fun putting up a broken kite!!! You panic and pull - just drives the kite harder into the ground!!

How long should the top leaders be ?

Mine are long enough, so if they hang down, they would be as long as the handle.........Knots about every 3/4", starting about 4 or 5 inches from where they are attached to the handles. Others will have other configurations ! Hope this helps

post-4670-0-11831200-1391122804_thumb.jp

BTW - Red Right

(just my method)

• Like 2

Mine are long enough, so if they hang down, they would be as long as the handle.........Knots about every 3/4", starting about 4 or 5 inches from where they are attached to the handles. Others will have other configurations ! Hope this helps

attachicon.gif2.jpg

BTW - Red Right

(just my method)

Thanks,

Remember too that you need to start tying the knots from the inside to end, or you lose length as you go!! Generally top leaders reach from the top attachment point to the bottom attachment point, with knots at whatever interval suits you! Just be sure both are identical!!

• Like 1

attachicon.gif2.jpg

BTW - Red Right

(just my method)

In order to make these leaders, where would I get the material to make them? I would guess I would have to buy it in a bulk length, and this would be for #90 pound line.

I made my first set out of Brickies Line, the string brick layers use to maintain course level.

I use old bridles, mostly from my used and abused but well loved B2.

Bridles can be done 2 ways. Lower test poundage doubled over so there are "2" strings through each knot.

Higher test poundage but a single string with knots.

• Like 1

Bridle line of either 90# or 150# should do the trick!! Both will work on any weight line you'll use! I happen to use 90# on my 15" handles and 150# on my 13" handles!! Most kite shops will carry it in either a per foot or bulk rate!!  :ani_idea:

I buy 10ft of bridle line- this amount will do the top and bottom leaders, doubled over style. 10 knots per side, starting 2 inches away from the handle, spaced 3/4ish inches up top. Then 3 knots per side, starting 1 inch from the handle, spaced 1/4ish inches on the bottom leaders. As mentioned above, more important that the left and right sides match exactly than the distance between the knots themselves. Oh and, it all works.. some adjust with the top leaders, some adjust the bottom leaders, but, um everyone ADJUSTS, so pick a style and you're set!

• Like 2

See a thread "mini leaders" somewhere here, or could be on the Rev Forum, about using tiny sacrificial pigtails. A good read.

In my case, I only use a short leader with 1 knot on the bottoms. I do all my adjusting on the tops.

If you do tie your own set, try to get the spacing a the same. In all honesty it's not the end of the world if they aren't, your hand will compensate for your eyes.

I made my first set out of Brickies Line, the string brick layers use to maintain course level.

I use old bridles, mostly from my used and abused but well loved B2.

Bridles can be done 2 ways. Lower test poundage doubled over so there are "2" strings through each knot.

Higher test poundage but a single string with knots.

That's a great idea. Do you find the mason line is too stiff or thick?