KiteLife Forum

New Member and Kite owner.

Captainbob

Well I finally got to actually fly my HQ Symphony 1.8 today. I was at work and we were really slow and the winds were reading 16 mph at home, so I jumped in the car and drove home. Since I had to self launch this foil kite, I grabbed a long 2 by 4 at work to lay on the trailing edge, which seemed to work OK. I had read on a post this morning that a length of chain that would be on a kids swing set works better, and of course is easier to cart around than a 3 foot 2 by 4, so I have to stop at Home Depot this week and get some. . I was really surprised how fast it accelerates in a strong breeze, really gets your attention. I also noticed when it gets to the top of the wind window, it's almost directly overhead.... I did some figure 8's, and some dives towards the ground ( some unintentional) but managed to pull it out just in time. One time I tried standing the kite up, and putting the board on the trailing edge, instead of letting the kite lay on it's back, figuring it would be easier to launch, since the sail would already be filled. As I was walking back to the staked control handles, I saw the line start rising off the ground... The kite was flying......... :cat_shy: I ran for the handles, but by the time I got that it had already crashed..... Scrap that method of launching. At the end of the session, the wind started getting weaker and going from a gust to a lull, so the kite would be flying along and then just lose it's lift and kind of fold up and crumple to the ground. At that point I decided to call it a day.

Anyway it was a blast, and can't wait to fly again. :ani_victory:

• Like 5

Excellent Captainbob! Good to hear you had the winds for it. 16 mph is great fun on the Symphony. Did you attach a tail? 9

Couple other suggestions for holding down your trailing edge- Wal-Mart sells 1 pound hand held weights (get 2), covered in soft fabric, they are very portable and slide off the sail easily. I also like cardboard mailing tubes quarter-filled with rocks.

• Like 1

Couple of small bean bags, hand sized, filled with something weighty.

That's what I use. Got three bean bags, just for that purpose. You can even fill 2 or 3 heavy duty, quart sized, Zip-Locks...........

It really doesn't take anything special............ And on the beach, just a few hands full of sand :ani_victory:

Excellent Captainbob! Good to hear you had the winds for it. 16 mph is great fun on the Symphony. Did you attach a tail? 9

Couple other suggestions for holding down your trailing edge- Wal-Mart sells 1 pound hand held weights (get 2), covered in soft fabric, they are very portable and slide off the sail easily. I also like cardboard mailing tubes quarter-filled with rocks.

Just got back from Walmart, I got 2 two pound weights, they didn't have 1 pound, but I think that weight should be perfect. They should roll right off with a tug on the lines.

• Like 1

What is the good trick for bringing the kite down when you're finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bring my foil to the far right or left edge of the wind window. As the sail de-powers, feather the handles/straps/bar to point it slightly towards the ground. In this manner, when the wind isn't hitting the sail square, it lands rather softly. Stake down your handles and go to collect it- quickly if you're me lol.

Don't forget >> the vertical (up & down) spars >> go on the back side of the sail, opposite from the bridle & logo.......... :ani_victory:

PS......You'd be surprised at how many people will mess that up, either at the beginning, or after an extended period of being away from Rev flying.......

Don't forget >> the vertical (up & down) spars >> go on the back side of the sail, opposite from the bridle & logo.......... :ani_victory:

PS......You'd be surprised at how many people will mess that up, either at the beginning, or after an extended period of being away from Rev flying.......

But if you get it wrong, you can always take heart in the fact that our fearless leader nearly abandoned revs because he was setting them up wrong and they subsequently flew like pigs. All the love, JB ;)

• Like 1

But if you get it wrong, you can always take heart in the fact that our fearless leader nearly abandoned revs because he was setting them up wrong and they subsequently flew like pigs. All the love, JB ;)

I would imagine that without those spars it would fly like a pillow case. ;)

• Like 2

Without the vertical spars, it wouldn't fly at all. The sail would just flop around in the wind, as it hung from the leading edge. What we are talking about, is some people get mixed up, and put the vertical spars on the front side of the kite (the side towards you, or the windward side). When they are put in that way, the wind could easily blow the sail out the back, and break those spars (or look like a pig) :ani_victory: Just make sure that they are on the back side of the sail (opposite side from the bridle & logo & YOU). :)

Without the vertical spars, it wouldn't fly at all. The sail would just flop around in the wind, as it hung from the leading edge. What we are talking about, is some people get mixed up, and put the vertical spars on the front side of the kite (the side towards you, or the windward side). When they are put in that way, the wind could easily blow the sail out the back, and break those spars (or look like a pig) :ani_victory: Just make sure that they are on the back side of the sail (opposite side from the bridle & logo & YOU). :)

Like the first rule of flying when I got my pilots license, "Always Preflight..... and be sure to make sure there is a wing on both sides of the plane.......

• Like 2

For upside down spars - mark them with an "O" ring, right where the caps end!! :ani_idea: Keeps sand outta there too!! Left and right - ?? :ani_giveup:

But I keep those rings on both ends, Wayne ? As for right & left, a quick slash of red spray paint always works............

I do hope that people realize that we are being facetious, here :cat_sick:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: fa·ce·tious

Full Definition of FACETIOUS
1: joking or jesting often inappropriately : waggish <just being facetious>
2: meant to be humorous or funny : not serious <a facetious remark>
  • Like 2