KiteLife Forum

Kites and life...

mystainedskin

What sacrifices do you make to enjoy your sport? I myself don't have a career or a well paying job.. so funds can be hard to come by for travel,new kites , etc.

So far, i have quit smoking, eat less convenience food, do side jobs,make kite lines, sleep on hotel floors..I never spend change, it always goes into the adventure jar...etc.. all in an effort to provide me peace in what I enjoy and try to be in the right places available to me to learn..

That doesnt even scratch the time away from loved ones. In the past couple of months...I have been gone probably 20+ days from home...all in the name of adventure :)

Just curious.........

• Like 4

I gave up the country club membership, a big house in the suburbs, lost the woman of my dreams and 7 year old son to divorce, quit playing golf and doing martial arts for my current wife, drive a vehicle for at least a decade, not into the usual boy toys, no other interests outside of employment and my family AND i live on a daily allowance (one $5 & one $10 bill each morning) I don't have a checking account, cash or debit card or a PIN number. My wife gets my payroll deposit directly into HER account and she's retired. I have to beg others to ask my bride if a new kite might just possibly be in my future! I have had to turn down event invitations due to funding restrictions or my wife wants to tag-a-long which isn't in their budget.

The misses and I make a decent monthly deposit together and we live on-the-cheap for some items, decadent extravagance on others. We probably spend 10 grand on travel annually and I have bought a kite every few months as long as I can remember, 50+ revolutions just as an example. Currently I have orders awaiting delivery for a patriotic Shook 40% mesh as well as a 3rd replacement for my favorite Bazzer-pro full sail SUL. Barbara is up for most any travel expenses relating to kites, but she also has to PLAN for and save up for the really good ones. In 2014 it's eleven days at WISKF and we are planning on a Kuwait trip as our big gig in 2015.

We are never cheap about food though, I want a super meal every time we sit down and I don't like many leftovers. Barbara is a great cook who starts out with great ingredients, we eat differently too, she's all healthy and me? sweet, carnivorous, Picky-piggish! Maybe we can't afford to eat out frequently, that does NOT mean we will save tons of money from our own pantry!

On the other hand, when the best gal in the whole world is on your side,... what else could you need? We aren't against spending extra to get exactly what we desire. Neither of us wants what anyone else could acquire, ever! Make it our way and charge accordingly, or just do your own effort part-way and then I'll finish/modify/customize it myself or hire other talent as necessary.
  • Like 5

I'm lucky that my love for flying pairs up really well with my wife's hobbies, even though she is not an ardent flyer. She is a fiber artist. She spins yarn, knits, crochets, dyes, weaves, etc. The nice thing about that hobby is that it is imminently transportable, and kite flying places are generally very pretty and good backdrops for what she likes to do. She will fly her duallies occasionally, but she mostly loves to just hang out, get into her zone, and do her thing. We both do pretty well in the earnings department, but we are trying to hit the savings pretty hard so that we can get a farm and she can raise sheep and alpaca and really make her hobby a start to finish lifestyle. So kite purchases are planned and saved for (especially now that my tastes in kites has developed to its current level of refinement). Once we get to the farm owning point, we will obviously have to re-evaluate the traveling aspects, since you can't just leave the animals unattended. A big plus there is that our farmland will have an adequate kite flying field, so maybe we can talk some folks into traveling to us. We'll see about that.

• Like 4

Where to start - ??

Friends offering me a place to stay during festivals, buying used kites, almost never eating out, finding a FREE place to fly indoors, having 2 outdoor places only a couple of miles away to use (depending on season and school) meaning I don't have to drive far, carpool to coast, etc!!

• Like 3

Ya, I don't have the first idea where to start on sacrifices.

Financial success, marital bliss, health insurance...

Yeah, going to stop there - otherwise it'll become downright whining, which I try to avoid at all costs.

But I will say, the stories I get from folks about KL and related activities bringing joy or community to their lives tells me it's all worth it.

• Like 7

I'm fortunate in that we own our own business. We travel around the country fulltime in a motorhome and publish the Gypsy Journal RV newspaper, and I am an author with 15 books out. So we control our working hours and where we do it. Living in a motorhome means that we don't have room for a lot of extra stuff, which cuts down on impulse purchases. Like Barton's wife, mine is also into the fiber arts and she has a loom, spinning wheel and other toys in the motorhome. So we can go to fiber festivals, kite flying events, or wherever the urge takes us.

• Like 3