KiteLife Forum

Hey Barton....... a flying in the cold question

Hasek

Hi, Howard! That's a good looking dog in your avatar. I did not get to fly last week. My wife hurt her foot stepping wrong on a gravel path jogging last weekend and we had a sick rabbit. The snow did not stop me (neither did temps in the teens), but tending to the home issues did. In general, I've been getting a couple of sessions a week in. I think the coldest I've flown was 22F with 8mph winds. I fly at the park where she jogs, so it works out. My primary flying field is this one: http://www.kitemap.org/site-details?id=296&sname=AK%20Bissell%20Park%20at%20Oak%20Ridge%20Civic%20Center

Kitemap is a great resource for finding fields when you are in unknown territory, and since they are put in by fliers you have a pretty good chance of running into a flyer when you are there.

I've been wondering how much flying our friends from up north are getting to do this winter. It's been a rough one.

Sometimes I wish I had a photographer with me as I fly!! Today my son was at my indoor spot and took some pix! Don't know if he's uploaded them to FB or not, yet!! He created a pix page called - Wild S Photography - pix from our New Years Day fly are on there! So far he hasn't come to any of my outdoor spots, so no pix there!!

Stay tuned!! :ani_idea:

I was able to fly the vented for the first time three weeks ago BB. It's been pretty brutal up here the past two weeks Until yesterday it hasn't broken 20 F. with many days in the negs.

Apologies JB, I meant to put this in the "Off Topic" forum.

I am with you on the photo/vid person Wayne. I need to get some pics of the Karma Gomberg I got from Dragonfish.

Definitely a couple of sweet Revs in your vid Scott!

• Like 2

Here's a picture of me flying in Calgary with the quad foil. Temp was about -10C and wind 45-50 kph. It was warm enough to be fun, but the wind and the foil had me begging for mercy in about 20-30 minutes.

Great fly though! I learned a lot and I was actually in control more than 50% of the time.

....and it was cold.. Barton had flip flops on......

He represents well too...never had a problem finding my kite :)

Sand doesn't get stuck in my shoes when my shoes are flip flops. I did at least have jeans some of the time. It was a welcome break from work and winter. The Windfeathers are going to become a part of my kite travel contingent. They were definitely handy for staking out our place.

Here's a picture of me flying in Calgary with the quad foil. Temp was about -10C and wind 45-50 kph. It was warm enough to be fun, but the wind and the foil had me begging for mercy in about 20-30 minutes.

Great fly though! I learned a lot and I was actually in control more than 50% of the time

Get the right gear on and try scudding through the snow. Looks like fun.

....and it was cold.. Barton had flip flops on......

He represents well too...never had a problem finding my kite :)

Sand doesn't get stuck in my shoes when my shoes are flip flops. I did at least have jeans some of the time. It was a welcome break from work and winter. The Windfeathers are going to become a part of my kite travel contingent. They were definitely handy for staking out our place.

Wind feathers are part of my std kit. I'll dig up a photo.

• 2 weeks later...