KiteLife Forum

First Day on my Rev SLE, not so good.

Captainbob

I am been looking forward to today for days. Forecast wind, 9 mph. weather clear, etc. So I head for the field next to my home. First thing I do is unwind the lines that I equalized yesterday, and carefully wrapped when I was done. I did not use JB's method of winding them straight, I went by the method on the DVD I got from Revolution and used a figure 8. After I got the lines unwound and hooked up to the kite, somehow I had gotten a tangled mess from one end to the other. I finally took one line at a time and walked back and forth and back and forth , to get the twists and turns out of it. Time spent about 45 minutes.

Now I start to assemble the kite, and I cannot get the spars to slip into the center spar :cat_shocked: . Twisting and turning and pushing, I was actually afraid I was going to break something trying to get them to slide together. I decided, to pull one all the way out to look at the end to make sure it wasn't solid ( big mistake). It looked OK, so I slid it back in and when it got to the place where the first bungee is located for the top bottom spar, end caps, it wouldn't go past there. The bungee cord was so tight, that the spar would not slip past the bungee in the sleeve that it slides into. Finally after wrestling with that for about 10 minutes, I get it to slide past, and finally get the two spars inserted in the middle one. Now I hook up my lines, get everything ready, wind is a steady 10 mph, and I am ready to launch.

I launch the kite, and immediately it rolls quickly to the right and land's inverted right next to where it was launched from.. Hey if I was trying to do this purposely, it would have looked impressive. So I have watched enough tutorial videos by JB, so rather than walking all the way to the kite, I am going to try an inverted launch and go up just a few feet, to see what happens. As soon as the kite starts to rise, it spins hard to the right again and lands upright his time, perfectly I might add. Meanwhile, I am holding the left brake on and right thumb back and it still wants to spin to the right........ Hmmmmm something isn't right here.

I walk to the kite and look carefully at it, trying to figure out why the control seems to be screwed up, and I suddenly notice that the bottom bridle on the left and right side are totally different. One is about 5 -6 inches shorter than the other and is constructed totally differently from the other side. One has a loop that extends about 12 inches from the vertical spar end cap, and the other side has a series of knots, loops, and the only place to hook the line on is about 6" down from the opposite endcap. Now the question of the day, is which side is correct, since it's obvious one of these sides was assembled by someone that was trying to design his own unique bridle design. So now what, do I give up, or try and fix this so I can fly. So decided to try and untie some of the knots and loops on the shorter side, because that side looked the weirdest of the two sides. After a half hour struggling to get the knots which were really tight loose, and moving things around, I still couldn't get that side to look anywhere near like the other side. Now the wind was starting to disappear, I was thinking that launching with an asymmetrical bridle was probably pretty high on the " don't ever do this " list, so I packed up the SLE, wound the line ( this time using JB's method) and headed for home.

I guess the best thing to do at this point is call the dealer and have them send me another bridle, since I have zero confidence on trying to jury rig this one and rely on it. I think if the bridle had been OK, I would have had a nice day of flying.

IMG_20140209_1512001.jpg

You can see the obvious difference between the right and left bottom bridle attachments.

From the pic you posted - the left side bridle is right, just hooked up to the kite wrong!! That long leg you have sticking out should be the one attached to the bottom cap and the flying line should be attached to the short leg hooked up to the cap now!! That right side is/was probably OK but, with you undoing knots and what, it's probably messed up now! I'm not a bridle maker, so unless you feel very confident you can get it to match up with the left side - get another bridle!!

New bridles come in 3 parts - 2 identical vertical sides and a horizontal piece!! Watty has made a simple video showing how one can be replaced! It would either be here or on the Rev forum or both places! Do it step by step and your issues with the bridle will be over!!

Anybody got a pic of one correctly hooked up to a kite?? Might help to show him how it should look when correct!!

• Like 2

:( what a bummer Captainbob. That doesn't look right... if the dealer is slow to help, which is doubtful within this community, contact Revolution directly.

This is what mine looks like:

CAM00101.jpg

You can clearly see that the attachment point is connected to a leg made with doubled over bridle line- yours looks like a single strand! And its long... looks wrong.

You'll know when it's straightened out and ready to fly, as the wind will disappear on you for a few days ;) just kidding, hope to hear it's fixed soon!

• Like 1

Well I think I have it fixed. Took about 45 minutes. As was pointed out, the left side was the correct side. The right side was a hodge bodge of knots and loops, so what I did was I took all of them out except the bottom one. Now I was left with the bottom loop of both sides matching in position. Then I just worked my way towards the spar end cap, duplicating what I had on the left side, and I believe I have it perfect now. Both sides are equal length, and look identical to each other.. ( I need a Martini now..... ) :ani_giveup:

• Like 2

:( what a bummer Captainbob. That doesn't look right... if the dealer is slow to help, which is doubtful within this community, contact Revolution directly.

This is what mine looks like:

CAM00101.jpg

You can clearly see that the attachment point is connected to a leg made with doubled over bridle line- yours looks like a single strand! And its long... looks wrong.

You'll know when it's straightened out and ready to fly, as the wind will disappear on you for a few days ;) just kidding, hope to hear it's fixed soon!

OK. O see where I have it wrong. now. I have the short end, and the long 11" end reversed.

Looking closer at the pic - it looks like the right side is upside down!! It shouldn't have a small loop anywhere on that bottom!! Look at Sky Puppet's pic- see the little hinge at the top, formed by the top piece and the vertical piece coming together?? That little loop looks like the one that should go at the top, not the bottom!! The top flying line attachment is on the horizontal part, the bottom attachment is on the vertical piece!

Kept looking - maybe that it's just knotted on itself, but???

Remember - both sides should look the same - top line attachment point, hinge from sideways piece to vertical piece, bottom attachment for lines!!

• Like 1

Man, I wish I could get my hands on that kite. I make bridles all the time. If only you could find someone close by, that knows the set-up. That's really strange that it would get out of Rev, like that..............

Sorry about the "bad" first day's experience. Try to forget it, and don't let it get you down. This is not a serious problem, if only you can get us some clear photos, or find someone near you, to help. :ani_victory:

ps.............SkyPuppets & Barton's photos should show you how it goes...........

Oh and by the way - the bunjiis for the LE are snug, but should be loose enough to easily take rods in and out of! Make sure the washers and bunjiis are pulled to their loosest position, but all knots are still tight! Put the knots to the inside and caps outside for max center area!!

Actually I have very fond memories of my early struggles not too long ago. I too wanted to succeed so badly. My Revolution 1.5 SLE did not have the bridle attached completely when I got to the beach with it. Later I read about it being a good idea to have the dealer assemble the kite before you left the store. Somehow I figured out how to attach the loops to the end caps & just attached it in a way that seemed to "look right". I got lucky & was able to thrash & flail with great abandon for at least an hour before I needed a martini. Flew my SLE today, with the heavy SLE leading edge, & enjoyed it immensely. I did a bit better than the early hours of flight. The Dark Side never let's you down.

• Like 1

Oh and by the way - the bunjiis for the LE are snug, but should be loose enough to easily take rods in and out of! Make sure the washers and bunjiis are pulled to their loosest position, but all knots are still tight! Put the knots to the inside and caps outside for max center area!!

Yeah, that was my next question, now that with all your help, I got the bridle straightened. out. The washers and bungees are correct but I am guessing because it is brand new, everything is tight. I had a heck of a time seating the rods in the leading edge the first time. I just tried it now, and it was easier.

• Like 2

Just make sure the bunjiis are pulled out all the way, knots snug to washers!! Sometimes tying the knots, the bunjiis are pulled up too tight to the LE pocket! Pulling them out to the end makes things much easier!!

When you go out to the field next time, take a second and make sure both sides are the same during setup!! Easy to get an attachment point wrapped up and suddenly things are unequal!! Just get in the habit of looking things over for sameness!!

• Like 1

Bob, yes, those bungees will be tight when new, and sometimes it seems that you nearly have to force the outer leading edge section, to get it to go through. As for joining the outer sections of the leading edge, to the middle section, that will become easier. I will still have times, every now and then, that I have a difficult time, getting them together. They have got to be aligned, perfectly, and that will come with practice, and doing it. Just make sure, that once you make the junction, and push them together, that they are all the way together. Run your fingers back and forth, at the junction, just to make sure they went all the way together. If they did, you shouldn't be able to feel the junction............. :ani_victory:

• Like 1

Yes, as Wayne said, once you get set up next time, look for sameness, from side to side. If a bridle section, enters from the outside, on the left side of the kite, make sure it's entering from the outside, on the right side. Whatever is on the right, make sure the matching point, on the left, is a mirror image. Symmetry is very important, on the kite, and we are assuming, that your lines are already identical, right to left............. :ani_victory:

• Like 1