KiteLife Forum

First Day on my Rev SLE, not so good.

Captainbob

Yeah, I was thinking about the "snap" when I first set it up this morning, making sure that they were in all the way. I just went to the field and set it up again, and everything looks good and lined up and balanced, and of course not a drop of wind ;) . Still difficult to get those leading edge rods in and even out, I really had to yank on one to get it loose. I think I might give the end of the rods a shot of silicon spray tomorrow to make joining them a bit easy. I will take a second look at those leading edge bungees. THe one problem I had twice is the lines getting tangled. Not sure what I am doing wrong, I am winding them carefully under tension, but when I hook them up to kite and handles, and then turn around, they are twisted in one or two spots in the middle like the cables on the Brooklyn Bridge. It may be that they aren't really twisted, as JB says in his video, and maybe I am making it worse trying to unravel them, but I would hate to take off with the middle of the lines looking like it does.

Oh well, something to do tomorrow...Thanks everyone for the help today, I really appreciate it.

Yes, we've all been there - exactly - RIGHT there - and I can still remember it.......... :ani_wallbash:

If I were you, I'd bypass the silicone spray. You don't want anything, on the rods, or in the kite, that will attract dust, dirt, or sand. The silicone will soak into the rod & the insert (ferrule), and it will be a problem forever, and it could stain the sail. It could even cause a problem with the glue, that holds the insert in place, and that will also be a problem ..............

Instead, if you think you have to do something to the rods, try a bit of very fine sandpaper - just enough to smooth out the rough edges. Really, you probably should NOT do anything. Again, they can be hard to insert, just simply because of the very fine tolerances, as well as inexperience. That's not a place for any (zero) wiggle room, at the junctions, so they've got to fit tight. It will get easier, with practice, and with use, I just wouldn't put any kind of lubricant there, or anywhere................. :cat_sick: IMHO

• Like 1

If I were you, I'd bypass the silicone spray. You don't want anything, on the rods, or in the kite, that will attract dust, dirt, or sand. The silicone will soak into the rod & the insert (ferrule), and it will be a problem forever, and it could stain the sail. It could even cause a problem with the glue, that holds the insert in place, and that will also be a problem .........

Yeah. You really don't want silicone spray around your kite at all. A few times of assembly and disassembly will loosen up the connection points just enough.

Twists - are just that - twists, not tangles!!

Try this when you next go out:

Put a finger between the two sets of lines (l + r pairs) and try to keep it there as you unwind the lines! You might have a couple of twists, but they should come out as you unwind and come to the end of things!

Or when you have unwound completely, hold the two sets, one in each hand, and stretch your hands out to the side. It should take almost all the twists out, leaving just a few to unwrap at the handles!

Try these two methods and see which works best for you!

PS: there is no method that starts with all the lines completely perfect every time! But getting it down to a much more manageable situation is the goal of any method!

Reading your post again - are you hooking up your handles first, staking them out, then unwinding and hooking up the kite last?

if you wound lines around the handles, you'd do everything backwards,

unwinding from a stake at the kite, spread the handles afterwards and leave 'em on the ground, lines stretched-out tight. All the twists and turns are right in front of you at the kite, before you hook-on just straighten them out.

Before you hook-on it might be a fine time to see if the handles perfectly align, if not then your leaders or lines need to be adjusted.

if you wound lines around the handles, you'd do everything backwards,

unwinding from a stake at the kite, spread the handles afterwards and leave 'em on the ground, lines stretched-out tight. All the twists and turns are right in front of you at the kite, before you hook-on just straighten them out.

Before you hook-on it might be a fine time to see if the handles perfectly align, if not then your leaders or lines need to be adjusted.

The way I wound them, was from the kite towards the handles which I had staked. Then when I get to the handles, I leave the handles on like JB did in his tutorial on winding lines. Unwinding, since the handles are attached to the line, I start by putting the handles on a stake and unwinding towards the kite. Prior to doing all this, when I equalized the lines, the lines and leaders were perfect as far as length.

Twists - are just that - twists, not tangles!!

Try this when you next go out:

Put a finger between the two sets of lines (l + r pairs) and try to keep it there as you unwind the lines! You might have a couple of twists, but they should come out as you unwind and come to the end of things!

Or when you have unwound completely, hold the two sets, one in each hand, and stretch your hands out to the side. It should take almost all the twists out, leaving just a few to unwrap at the handles!

Try these two methods and see which works best for you!

PS: there is no method that starts with all the lines completely perfect every time! But getting it down to a much more manageable situation is the goal of any method!

Reading your post again - are you hooking up your handles first, staking them out, then unwinding and hooking up the kite last?

I will try that, and yes, I leave the handles connected to line when it's all wrapped, as JB did in his video. Then unwind towards the kite, after staking handles.

Found this thread this morning. Lots of tips here. http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/3187-line-winding-with-minimal-twiststangles-iquad-style/

I kind of like post #15 on this thread, where he says that if you only have one REV , you can leave the lines attached to both the handles and the kite, and just fold everything up into the sleeve. No way it can get tangled then ( hopefully). I might try that next time.

The way I struggled with the bridle yesterday, trying to undo the knots that were in it on one side, I was concerned about the integrity of the bridle at this point. I decided to call Revolution this morning and explained to a very nice young lady on the phone what had happened. She is sending me a brand new bridle. Great customer service.... :animal_rooster:

Found this thread this morning. Lots of tips here. http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/3187-line-winding-with-minimal-twiststangles-iquad-style/

I kind of like post #15 on this thread, where he says that if you only have one REV , you can leave the lines attached to both the handles and the kite, and just fold everything up into the sleeve. No way it can get tangled then ( hopefully). I might try that next time.

Ha, or if you are lazy like me, regardless of how many kites are owned.

I have 50+ revs and probably have at least 8 actively used sets of handles, all with the lines wrapped around them with me always. They are each tuned to perfection (handles align when yanked tight )and ready to use instantly, set-up for different occasions, low wind, team, indoors, etc. You do what works for you, my system is developed thru multiple failures and years. It's fool-proof for me anyway!

• Like 1

The way I struggled with the bridle yesterday, trying to undo the knots that were in it on one side, I was concerned about the integrity of the bridle at this point. I decided to call Revolution this morning and explained to a very nice young lady on the phone what had happened. She is sending me a brand new bridle. Great customer service.... :animal_rooster:

That was probably Lolly that you talked to at Rev.............she will definitely help you out, if you got a problem........

As for winding, I'd still try to learn how to do it properly. Again, as I suggest to so many new Rev flyers......Watch John's video on "Line Management". Watch it till you have it memorized, watch it till you are sick of hearing his voice, but more importantly, think about it, and why he is describing the steps, as he does. And with reference to the article over on the Rev forum, you'll see his written description of the process, once again. He's not kidding - 3 min out - 3 min in - but you've got to grasp the concept, in "your" head, before it will ever stick. Once you understand WHY, it will all make sense......

Heck, when I leave the flying field, my handles are stuck in my hip pocket, my kite is rolled up and in the sleeve, and my lines are wound onto the winder, and tucked into a plastic baggie (no handles, and certainly no kite attached, just the line), and stuck in the other pocket. I'll admit, there was a learning curve to deal with, but usually, it doesn't take but one bad experience, and people decide, "Hey, I need to figure this thing out, before I go out to fly again". Just go out in your yard, stake em out, and practice the wind / un-wind procedure, till you can do it, without problems, and good luck........ :ani_victory:

This is what my line-sets look like, when I exit the field, except they are in the plastic zip-locks.........and I never have a problem setting up.

post-4670-0-13198900-1392053925_thumb.jp

I use John's method exclusively, the only difference being, if I'm not coming back to fly later that day, or maybe the next, I remove the handles before I ever begin to wind up. Only takes another 15 seconds to remove the handles and makes for much easier storage................

• Like 1

Now I understand, Nick, why you label top/bottom and left/right. if you are disconnecting the handles from the line, you would need that information to keep from having a mess when you reconnected the handles.. I never disconnect the handles from the line, so I don't have that issue.

Now I understand, Nick, why you label top/bottom and left/right. if you are disconnecting the handles from the line, you would need that information to keep from having a mess when you reconnected the handles.. I never disconnect the handles from the line, so I don't have that issue.

Correct ! You can hand me any "one" of the four loops, and I can immediately tell you which handle it should be connected to, and whether it goes to the top, or the bottom. I always connect the loops, on the outside of the bundle, to the handles first. Then I stake the handles, and walk out the line. There is never a snag and never any confusion. When I get to the other end, I likewise know immediately, which pair goes to which side of the kite, and which loop in each pair is up, and which is down. "Piece of Cake" :cat_lol:

(that's also why I mark one of my handles, with a slash of red spray paint - another carry over from dual line days - red/right)

Again, it's my procedure. I own it, and it's failproof (assuming alcohol is not involved). I can do it blindfolded........(if someone will tell me the colors and the ID marks)

• Like 1

I can tell which is top and bottom by checking which line is larks head-ed to the other. If there's no larks head present, I can tell by which loop is farther out (brake line is always farther out when you follow the Rev DVD instructions).

I love this about the Rev- there's more than one way to string a kite ;) everyone can have their own style and it all works!

• Like 2

I can tell which is top and bottom by checking which line is larks head-ed to the other. If there's no larks head present, I can tell by which loop is farther out (brake line is always farther out when you follow the Rev DVD instructions).

Not unless you are staking your kite at the bottom of the handles (?). If you land the kite inverted, and stake the top of the handles, to keep the kite driving into the ground, the top lines should be pulled out farther. I'm also assuming that you are winding the lines, from the kite, back to the handles, as in John's description (i.e........Line Management tutorial video)

But never-the-less, and as you say, there are many ways, and procedures for securing your lines, and everyone needs to develop their own way, and "own" it................ :ani_victory:

Not unless you are staking your kite at the bottom of the handles (?).  If you land the kite inverted, and stake the top of the handles, to keep the kite driving into the ground, the top lines should be pulled out farther.  I'm also assuming that you are winding the lines, from the kite, back to the handles, as in John's description (i.e........Line Management tutorial video)

But never-the-less, and as you say, there are many ways, and procedures for securing your lines, and everyone needs to develop their own way, and "own" it................ :ani_victory:

No, if you stake the top of the handles, as I do, the bottom is left free and is closer to the kite.

Oh and you said pulled out farther. Maybe farther towards yourself, I was talking farther towards the kite. So, in other words, the loop farthest from yourself is always the brake line, if you follow the DVD.

I added my own little twist by using 2 stakes for the handles!! That way I can separate them as far apart or as close as I want!! Gives me a bit more room to keep that finger in between the pairs if need be!! I only have 2 sets of handles and I use either at any time, so I remove the lines from them all the time! I only have so many line sets and so many handles to choose from, but with both loose from each other, I can use the set and lines I want for that day, more easily!!

Barton - I use a similar code as Nick, just different colors!! And my "sharpies" are always in my bag!

No, if you stake the top of the handles, as I do, the bottom is left free and is closer to the kite.

Oh and you said pulled out farther. Maybe farther towards yourself, I was talking farther towards the kite. So, in other words, the loop farthest from yourself is always the brake line, if you follow the DVD.

I think we are saying the same thing :ani_victory:

And yes, we were looking at it from different perspectives. So I think what we are both saying, is that as we begin to unwind a set of lines, the loop that would be farthest from the handles (or where the handles should be), will be the brake line.

Assuming:

1 - you landed the kite inverted

2 - you staked the top of the handles

and

3 - you wound the lines from the kite, back towards the handle end

• Like 1