KiteLife Forum

First Day on my Rev SLE, not so good.

Captainbob

Hey Nick - How much more of that "girlie" colored sleeving you got left?? Need to get some Man's colored sleeves, son!! :ani_whistling:

Hey, when that's the only colors they got, that's what you use. I got some red & blacks, also, if it makes you feel better.............

But hey, I like my colors...........adds a little pazazzzz ! :ani_victory:

• Like 2

Well I did "ground school " today, without about 10 seconds of actual flying due to poor wind conditions. I straightened the lines this morning, then wound and unwound them several times. Placing my finger in between the pairs, when winding, which is easy to do, seems to work rather well. I tried two methods, JBs and the method I referenced earlier about leaving the kite-lines-handles all together and placing everything in the bag. To me, JB''s method looked alot neater, so I am going to stick with that. Each time it got easier, to hook up and tear down everything, so practice is well worth it for managing lines.

I managed a couple of launches, but due to winds, couldn't get up very high and quickly came down. I found I was over controlling on the turns to stay level, but I think a steady wind would make that much easier. All in all, a productive day today.

• Like 4

CB - one thing to avoid is when you get down close to the handles - DON'T let them spin!!! Whether you leave the lines on or take them off, don't let them spin, putting twists into those lines at the end of doing everything else correctly!! :ani_idea:

Yes I was careful of this today, and I was not yesterday, which I think caused much of my problems.

At least it's a "man" color!!!!! lol!! Red and black are my colors for the "code" I use!!! Handles have beads of those colors too, on the leaders!! :ani_wallbash:

My leaders that came with the kite are red-red/black stripe which go on the right handle, and white/black which go on left. No pink, or mauve, or chartreuse, unfortunately.... :cat_wub:

Glad to hear the problems aren't terminal!! :ani_giveup: Yep, practice makes perfect, and once YOU find a way that works for YOU, get in the habit of doing it the SAME, every time!! I don't even like others winding up my lines!! I have a certain way and I do it that way ALL the time!! :ani_idea:

• Like 1

i personally have only once (in a year) unwinded my lines and had no turns or twists in them, and I wind them the same way everytime, my friend rob told me some good advice there is nothing you can't untangle or undo (very good advice)

• Like 5

i personally have only once (in a year) unwinded my lines and had no turns or twists in them, and I wind them the same way everytime, my friend rob told me some good advice there is nothing you can't untangle or undo (very good advice)

DITTO ! :ani_whistling:

As far as I know - NO method leaves your lines perfectly laid out on the field!! There's always a twist here or there! JB's method REDUCES the amount of twists to a much more manageable number! It's one of the reasons I use two stakes - to separate the handles, and why I put a finger between pairs - to get whatever twists are in there, out!! Following JB's method, you should never have to fish out line by line, any tangles! In fact, fishing out a line INCREASES your chance to get a knot, because that loose end can now wrap around and get tangled easier, as you pull it through! Almost every tangle or twist can be straightened out with just spinning your handles, either together for twists in all 4 lines, or individually for twists in a pair! If you can see where the twist is in your lines, there's a simple rule to follow - watch the twist as you spin the handles. If the twist gets bigger, go the other way! Count your spins so you can go back an equal number of times to a start point, then go that way from there! Only in bad situations should you need to walk your lines down to unwrap any twists!! Most times for me, this walking is only on my 50# x 120' lines! They are so small to see on a beach with sand!! :ani_giveup:

• Like 1

As far as I know - NO method leaves your lines perfectly laid out on the field!! There's always a twist here or there! JB's method REDUCES the amount of twists to a much more manageable number! It's one of the reasons I use two stakes - to separate the handles, and why I put a finger between pairs - to get whatever twists are in there, out!! Following JB's method, you should never have to fish out line by line, any tangles! In fact, fishing out a line INCREASES your chance to get a knot, because that loose end can now wrap around and get tangled easier, as you pull it through! Almost every tangle or twist can be straightened out with just spinning your handles, either together for twists in all 4 lines, or individually for twists in a pair! If you can see where the twist is in your lines, there's a simple rule to follow - watch the twist as you spin the handles. If the twist gets bigger, go the other way! Count your spins so you can go back an equal number of times to a start point, then go that way from there! Only in bad situations should you need to walk your lines down to unwrap any twists!! Most times for me, this walking is only on my 50# x 120' lines! They are so small to see on a beach with sand!! :ani_giveup:

http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/5830-winding-and-unwinding-quad-lines-possible-solution/

See this question I just posted. I have yet to have any problems with 2 lines. So my thinking, is that two sets of 2 lines, should be just as trouble free as one set of two lines laid out twice.

http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/5830-winding-and-unwinding-quad-lines-possible-solution/

See this question I just posted. I have yet to have any problems with 2 lines. So my thinking, is that two sets of 2 lines, should be just as trouble free as one set of two lines laid out twice.

I use 2 winders and two stakes....someday I may experiment with one again... but for now I have reduced my set up time and reduced my frustration level. I don't feel so cool unwinding 2 ...but now I don't feel stupid fighting tangles for half the time I that I have available to fly. :ani_victory:

I use 2 winders and two stakes....someday I may experiment with one again... but for now I have reduced my set up time and reduced my frustration level. I don't feel so cool unwinding 2 ...but now I don't feel stupid fighting tangles for half the time I that I have available to fly. :ani_victory:

Exactly what I was anticipating. I want something that is quick, foolproof, and simple. When I lay out the 4 lines, two at a time, I don't want to have to do anything at all but connect them to the kite and handles and launch. To me, that's cool... ;)

Exactly what I was anticipating. I want something that is quick, foolproof, and simple. When I lay out the 4 lines, two at a time, I don't want to have to do anything at all but connect them to the kite and handles and launch. To me, that's cool... ;)

Ain't going to happen (or not likely). You'll always have a twist or two to contend with, even with two lines.......... :thumbdown:

• Like 1

Ain't going to happen (or not likely). You'll always have a twist or two to contend with, even with two lines.......... :thumbdown:

I agree there will always be a twist or two, even with 2 sets. For me it feels and looks like a couple of twists instead of a birds nest. As everyone said, the more you do it the better you get. But for now I don't concern myself with setup, just flying. I will probably work with one winder when I get more flying time,

• Like 1

It's all what floats YOUR boat!! Find a way that cuts down your time on setup and GO FOR IT! Sure winding on a single winder is probably the fastest way, but not if you have troubles! But that doesn't mean it can't work!!

Take it from someone that switched after doing it "my" way for a while!! I used to wind each pair separately, using a figure 8 wind for 1 pair and then straight wind the 2nd pair right over them! Meant 2 trips to set up, BUT at the time that worked for ME! I started trying JB's method on 1 of my short sets (50') first, to see how that went! When I got that down, I went to a longer set of 80', and so forth! Now all my sets are wound the same way, by me only! I know what to expect every time out from any set of lines I use!

Why is that important to me?? I had a stroke back in 2000, messed up some things physically, but not mentally (no funnies here)!! Having a pattern to things keeps ME straight during setup! It's also why I use a color code, to keep things straight and in order!

So it doesn't matter HOW you do it - it matters that you DO do it, some how, some way, what ever works for YOU!!! If it gets you in the air faster - GO FOR IT!!

• Like 1