KiteLife Forum

The Winds won today.

Captainbob

'Teaser Wind' ?

How's this for a 'Teaser' ? Almost makes it worth it to put up with all the BS that goes with living here !

Damn - if my eyes aren't deceiving me - looks like a hurricane!!! Race rodded std with 90# lines and 15" handles should be good to go in that much wind!!! But I'll keep my 50# sets handy, just in case!! :ani_whistling:

Hey Bob, that was the ProDancer by Skyburner. It just takes an arm-sweep to get that kite in the air in low wind conditions. The 4d that you have can fly in that same wind, it's all in the slow & steady arm-sweep... and a little bit of foot work.

Low wind flying is my favorite because for all intents & purposes... you shouldn't be flying a kite, but you are !

~Rob.

• Like 1

Hey Bob, that was the ProDancer by Skyburner. It just takes an arm-sweep to get that kite in the air in low wind conditions. The 4d that you have can fly in that same wind, it's all in the slow & steady arm-sweep... and a little bit of foot work.

Low wind flying is my favorite because for all intents & purposes... you shouldn't be flying a kite, but you are !

~Rob.

Is that your favorite low wind kite to fly?

Who's calling 5-6 mph light winds?? With a little practice, those are winds to die for!! Gentle, easy on the body, still enough to make your sail work!! Glorious days!! :ani_yahoo:

Light to me are days 2-3 mph and lower, now that requires either a bit more moving or the "right" equipment!! :ani_idea:

Sorry Rob - I hadn't seen the video's title before posting - my bad!!

But did you notice that he was moving back and forth in time with the kite's movements? You can't fly in extreme light winds without moving, feet can't be in cement!!

• Like 1

Watch the arm-sweep, Wayne. I get most of my lift just from the gentle, but full arm-sweep. Anytime I take any step backwards, I try to regain that ground immediately by flying down & walking forward. Works the same way for Revs, except you can put the brakes on to increase your hang-time...

Well today was kind of a no progress day, I guess. Because the weather people said it would be 9mph today. and the last couple of days, it was just about windy enough for the 4D, I figured I would finally get some flying time with the SLE, since it has been about a week since we had some decent wind. Set everything up, flew it about 5 minutes total, launches, descents ( no wind), wait, launch-descent, ( no wind) , wait,. etc..etc... That exercise was coupled with 180 degree wind shifts, so the kite that was set up to launch, would just fall over, when the wind hit it from the rear, so then I would have to walk to it, set it up, fall over again, , etc,etc,,, Finally quit for lunch, and figured maybe the 4D after lunch was the way to go , since it flies pretty good with the crummy wind.

After lunch, weather report on my Android phone ( 3 of them actually from different sources) said the wind was up to 9-10 mph. Back to the field with the Rev, set it up, and while I was setting it up, a nice wind was blowing, sail was rattling, had to hold the leading edge down, etc.... Get ready to go, and away goes the wind again. More of what I did this morning, with almost no getting it off the ground. More waiting, but apparently the wind has moved to another state.

Net result, I am now an expert and setting up and folding up the SLE, could probably do it blindfolded, and even beat JB in a contest. In addition, I probably walked about 6 miles, back and forth from the stake to the kite....I also learned, on one of the setups, to make sure the black lines go on the bottom on both sides, not just one side ( couldn't figure out why when I set it up on the leading edge, with the handles set in full forward drive, the kite kept trying to flip over on me....... :cat_shy:

Anyway, I am sure if I can get one darn @##* day with some decent wind, I will be able to actually fly the SLE up in the air. I was also thinking about the kite I just ordered, and when the Mid Vent arrives, I may have to rent a 747, to park on one end of the field with it's engines running to get the mid vent off the ground..... ;)

• Like 2

I have problems with squirreley wind too, but I analyze my wind alert app using the forecaster and wind graph. If the direction arrow isn't consistently in one direction I don't bother. On the bright side, you got lots of exercise.

You'll freak, if you ever get to fly in coastal winds, coming off the water.

Just think.........10 mph, steady as a rock, constant as the surf, coming in off of a light chop.............

You can fly large SLK's, 20 feet off the ground, just as well as 100', or 200' up.........

Makes no difference the height........it's all constant !

And talk about being good Rev wind............OH MY !!!

• Like 4

Just think.........10 mph, steady as a rock, constant as the surf, coming in off of a light chop.............

You can fly large SLK's, 20 feet off the ground, just as well as 100', or 200' up.........

Stop it, Nick! You're making me drool thinking about it. ;)

• Like 2

Lived in Hollywood Florida, for 10 years, 250 feet from the beach. I know what that is like.

• Like 1

Tmadz I feel your pain only worse. I grew up with a beach at the end of my street - a 5 minute walk. Now I am an hour from the coast, in RI no less.

Around here direction plays a big part. Anything out of the NW will be inconsistent whereas anything with a southerly component will be sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tmadz I feel your pain only worse. I grew up with a beach at the end of my street - a 5 minute walk. Now I am an hour from the coast, in RI no less.

Around here direction plays a big part. Anything out of the NW will be inconsistent whereas anything with a southerly component will be sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One hour...you're breaking my heart.

I'm laughing out load, not at you, but with you!! It's what drove me to get an SUL and then the Zen, these maddening crazy winds! I was determined to fly in just about anything, so I invested in equipment geared towards the low end! That and I worked on flying in those conditions - no matter what! With time and practice, it came!! :ani_giveup:

Have hope!!! :ani_idea:

2 hours here!

I'm only 5 short hours from the beach... But I like it inland just fine :)

To explain: First time flying at the beach was last year at Kite Party! I was so stoked I was like a 6 year old at Christmas, at first. Then I began to notice something... After an hour of flying Revs in the smoothest wind ever, I was getting bored. Bored! I'm used to constantly struggling and fighting with the wind, and it makes for a more entertaining flying experience, for me anyways ;)

Ps- I wish I still flew dualie trick kites, I would love the beach wind for them.

Never bored with PERFECT wind...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

To each their own! Wind was perfect at Huntington Beach, I was getting bored. I was so bored in fact I'm reading out there in a couple weeks to be bored again ;)

• Like 2

Never bored with PERFECT wind...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

To each their own! Wind was perfect at Huntington Beach, I was getting bored. I was so bored in fact I'm reading out there in a couple weeks to be bored again ;)

I'd wish the rain or calm or something would ruin your stay, but afraid Karma would come back to bite me!! :ani_giveup:

Sent by the jealous!!! :ani_wallbash:

• Like 2