KiteLife Forum

Good book on Flying a Revolution for beginners.

Captainbob

With my slow DSL, the title page took a couple of minutes to load and the book has 118 pages!

May be a good book, but not with my ISP and lack of speed...................

Wow I have DSL, and it took about 5 seconds to download it, and I saved it on my harddrive as a PDF. You should have them check your DSL connection, something major wrong with it, it would seem. The file is only 8.9 megs. Even with a slow DSL connection at 1.6 mbs, that should take less than 10 seconds to load.

Try that download on a 256k connection!! Takes forever!! Internet access at that speed is OK for emails and forums, but not so much for downloading!! But it's cheap and at least keeps us connected!

PS: I did look through some of it, fairly dated info!! But to add to that info -

ALWAYS leave your kite parked LE down and handles staked at the TOP! While the book is correct about staking at the bottoms and leaning the sail back, anyone runs through your lines, or a big enough gust blows through, your kite is in position to launch - unattended!!! Not good!! LE down position, staked at tops of handles, leaves the kite trying to fly into the ground if disturbed!! A much safer situation!!

• Like 1

Just did a 'speed check' and got: Down: 1.95 Mbps & Up: .75Mpbs

There are options for 5 to 10 x the speed of this 'cheap-o' DSL, but I keep monthly expenses as low as possible so I live with slow. No way I could do any on demand movies w/o pauses!

"In my day we, had to walk 10 miles uphill, in raging snow storms to the dime store to get our internet access." :kid_smartass:

• Like 3

"In my day we, had to walk 10 miles uphill, in raging snow storms to the dime store to get our internet access." :kid_smartass:

Well................another reason our connection may be slow is because the messages (up and down) first come by way of Morse code. Then 'Crusty', the gez at Century Link, decodes the message and attaches it to a pigeon for a trip to the NSA headquarters. It then goes to the 'pigeon to digital' convertor and we get it here!

Pretty cool hi tech stuff going on out here in rural WA state.

• Like 1

Just did a 'speed check' and got: Down: 1.95 Mbps & Up: .75Mpbs

There are options for 5 to 10 x the speed of this 'cheap-o' DSL, but I keep monthly expenses as low as possible so I live with slow. No way I could do any on demand movies w/o pauses!

That is fine for the lower DSL which I had for years. That file should take about 9 seconds at that speed, then save it to your harddrive.

Try that download on a 256k connection!! Takes forever!! Internet access at that speed is OK for emails and forums, but not so much for downloading!! But it's cheap and at least keeps us connected!

PS: I did look through some of it, fairly dated info!! But to add to that info -

ALWAYS leave your kite parked LE down and handles staked at the TOP! While the book is correct about staking at the bottoms and leaning the sail back, anyone runs through your lines, or a big enough gust blows through, your kite is in position to launch - unattended!!! Not good!! LE down position, staked at tops of handles, leaves the kite trying to fly into the ground if disturbed!! A much safer situation!!

Here is what I like about that book, coming from my background as a pilot. The step by step and illustrated instructions of exactly what the handles do, and the aerodynamic illustrations of the sail in each illustration, immediately cleared up any confusion I had about what does what controlling the kite. Just like a good ground school before trying to solo an aircraft. When I had my first lengthy flying session today, I recalled alot of what I read yesterday and last night, and it made it really simple.

• Like 1

With all due respect to the authors, I suppose this detailed work, had it's time and place, back when it was written, but that was nearly 20 years ago. In principle, I suppose most of it is still fundamentally sound, and somewhat pertinent to what we do today. But got to admit, this is a pretty dry presentation, especially with all of the outlets, available to us today. One can surely find most anything, pertaining to Rev flying, or any other kind of kite related activities, by simply watching a few of the readily available tutorials, found online, today.

(Not meaning to be critical, just my opinion)

Also, I agree with Wayne - Instructions, such as "staking with the leading edge up", are technically right, BUT, "just wrong", and you are asking for trouble if you do it, and walk away. Always stake LE down, and your Rev will always stay put...........

Kites change and evolve constantly, usually for the better.

Information and procedures do likewise, and we've come a long ways, in 20 years (again, IMHO).

• Like 1

With all due respect to the authors, I suppose this detailed work, had it's time and place, back when it was written, but that was nearly 20 years ago. In principle, I suppose most of it is still fundamentally sound, and somewhat pertinent to what we do today. But got to admit, this is a pretty dry presentation, especially with all of the outlets, available to us today. One can surely find most anything, pertaining to Rev flying, or any other kind of kite related activities, by simply watching a few of the readily available tutorials, found online, today.

(Not meaning to be critical, just my opinion)

Also, I agree with Wayne - Instructions, such as "staking with the leading edge up", are technically right, BUT, "just wrong", and you are asking for trouble if you do it, and walk away. Always stake LE down, and your Rev will always stay put...........

Kites change and evolve constantly, usually for the better.

Information and procedures do likewise, and we've come a long ways, in 20 years (again, IMHO).

I guess, being a newbie, I am going to have to disagree. First of all, one of the best books for a pilot learning to fly in decades, is "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche. It was written in 1942, and I have talked to military pilots and airline pilots over the years, and most of them have read and recommended this book to anyone that wants to learn how an aircraft flies, and how not to kill yourself flying one.

In the last couple of weeks, I have watched videos, tutorials, read posts, etc,etc. but I was missing something. The aerodynamics of what was actually happening when flying a Revolution Kite, was never really clearly explained, in my opinion. What caused it to slide, what effect did apparent wind have on the sail, etc,.etc. This book, and the illustrations of the kite as it was being controlled, just clicked with me, possibly because I have a background in aviation and flying different types of aircraft, as well as RC stuff, as well as my sailing background, I think of a airfoils, angle of attack, luffing, flutter, and things I am already familiar with. This book immediately struck me as a "Stick and Rudder" kind of book aimed at the Rev kite. I am pretty sure that the basic Rev kite like the Rev 1 , for instance, doesn't fly that much differently today, than it did 20 years ago when this book was written. In the same way, In the same way, aircraft behave pretty much the same as they did when Stick and Rudder was first published over 7 decades ago.

As far as leading edge down, versus up, nobodies perfect. By the way, the DVD I got with my new Rev 2 weeks ago, shows the factory person setting up the Rev kite, clearly placing it on on the ground with the leading edge up, explaining that this is how it should be placed, after he assembled the kite, and then he walked to the kite and launched it. Do I agree with him, no, but I bet that many people watching this tutorial DVD that is currently being shipped with the kite, are setting it up this exact way. All in all, this book taught me alot, and answered many questions that I had as a beginner.

Just my opinion..... ;)

• Like 1

To answer your question on setup -

That DVD was copied from a VHS tape made many years ago by Rev! RR is right that some info is dated on it, not all! Inverted parking is one that has changed due to the safety aspect!! PS: I still have a copy!!!!

I understand your position better now, some have different backgrounds that lend themselves to different ways of learning!! Myself, I've always been a "hands on" type of learner!

It's in the B-Series DVD that JB talks about LE down setup... anyways, it all works.

Everyone learns differently, better to learn as much as you can from as many sources as you can, as long as its relevant information. That's why I'm on the forum ;) everyone here has great opinions :)

As a little aside here:

I do setup almost exactly the way shown on the old VHS tape - with one exception - after putting my lines on the assembled kite, I stretch out the lines to pull almost any left over twists or tangles out! Then, I invert the sail to that LE down position!!

Again, just for clarity, NO DISRESPECT intended, for the authors. That is an amazing compilation of information. I'd never even seen it before, but I probably wouldn't have looked at it, simply due to the numerous pages.............. :cat_shocked:

My point WAS - that the format, the appearance, the dialogue, and the hassle of downloading such a document, is somewhat dated, and there are many other places, to find the same information, but in a more friendly format. Yes, some of the info is still quite pertinent, yet, there are definitely easier ways to acquire this info................mainly, time with the kite, and the current tutorials........

What can you say, I just call em like I see em.........no offense intended :ani_idea:

• Like 1

So...............I finally got the book to download completely!

I haven't read the entire book, but I think it is a helpful addition, at least to us, beginners. This info (between my wife and myself we are at less than 10 days each of Rev flying) as well as JB's tutorials are ALL a help at this stage. It may be 'dated' but still seems valid, at least to me!

I think there are quite a few flyers on the forum who have progressed to a point where they may not remember the slow progression until things begin to really click. The more time we spend 'in the air' the easier it will no doubt be. At this point, each day is a bit easier, but most things are not automatic at this point.

MUST......................... GET................................ MORE AIR TIME!!!

Thanks for the link CB!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Think Ferrari vs Andretti... Engineers design, pro(ish) fliers find out what it's capable of and how it works in the hands. ;)

Both the Rev DVD and the book are nearly the same age... Rev flying took an enormous evolutionary leap 2005-2006, as more "on field" (skilled daily fliers) information was developed, defined and distributed, continuing since then.

But, whatever gets you flying! :)