KiteLife Forum

Just ordered by 2nd Rev - B series Mid Vent

Captainbob

I have probably been driving everyone crazy on Kitelife, asking for advice on a second Rev. My first, which I just started flying last week is an SLE and I had a blast flying it for the first time last week. I decided at that time, that I was hooked on the Rev for various reasons. After years of flying RC aircraft and helicopters, I never wanted to have just one thing to fly, in case of a mishap, or something that might stop me flying for a week while parts are on the way, so I decided that I needed to have a plan B. The problem is, I couldn't decide what to get, another SLE, or a Rev 1, or something else. I started looking at the B series. On the AWOC web site, they had the kite only for $225, which includes one frame. Since I already have the handles, with the leaders I made up, and the line from my SLE, I decided that with the 10% AKA discount, I could get this kite for $200. And AWOC also had an upgrade on the frame for $1 to the Race Frame.

The next issue, is which one to get. I live in a low wind area ( average wind from multiple websites confirms this) of around 8 mph. So since it is average wind, which usually calms down at night, that would lead m3 to believe that during the day, I could be up around 8-12 quite a bit, especially during the windy months. So do I get a full sail, or a mid vent, that is the next question. I compared the speeds listed on the Rev site for the full sale B versus the mid vent B, and there was only a 1 mph difference, so I assume that there wouldn't be a drastic difference between the full and mid vent. They both top out at around 20 mph, depending on the rods that are installed. So the Race rods should get me down to around 3mph in the Mid Vent, and the 3 wrap which I already have from 4-16, and both rods up to 20, or later I could get a 4 wrap set if I think it's necessary. I guess the main reason I got the mid vent, is because I read in many places that in the mid range, with bumpy wind, the mid vent smooths everything out better than the full sail.

So we will see how this all pans out, but I think for $200, which includes a set of Race Rods which normally go for around $90, and that I can use in my SLE, I think it is a pretty good deal.

Oh, I ordered the Red/White/Black because anything with Red flies better ;)

• Like 1

Good choice - more varieties of the similar sail!! Yes, Race rods, you'll like them, after you get used to their slightly different flex than the 3 wrap! Sorry, but I've never had to use 2 LEs in any sail I own yet! But with the rod combo you have, most conditions are open to you!

Again - don't get hung up on numbers!! Kiting is all feel, only you can see if there's too much flex, or not enough! Or too much pull for comfort!! As you get more experience, you'll feel the wind and pull something out that you feel will work! If it doesn't - change! You'll start to make good choices faster and faster, til you can nail it on the setup right off the bat! Takes a little time and there is no substitute for time on those lines!! Believe me, flying as much as you can will teach you more than any book! Yes the info in the book is valid, but until you change it into personal experience, well it's just words on a page!! Same with the tutorials, you got to put things in your hands and feel it, work through it!! Remember the winder thing? It didn't get better til you did it a few times, then it became easier!!

Get out there and fly!!! :ani_idea:

Oh, you've got the bug ! No turning back now... the mid-vent will be good to have for when you have a high wind day, or when you get out to the shore. My mid-vent is probably my most flown Rev, I hardly ever fly my full sail Rev. Congrats on your new addition... sounds like a looker, being that it matches mine !

~Rob.

• Like 1

Good choice - more varieties of the similar sail!! Yes, Race rods, you'll like them, after you get used to their slightly different flex than the 3 wrap! Sorry, but I've never had to use 2 LEs in any sail I own yet! But with the rod combo you have, most conditions are open to you!

Again - don't get hung up on numbers!! Kiting is all feel, only you can see if there's too much flex, or not enough! Or too much pull for comfort!! As you get more experience, you'll feel the wind and pull something out that you feel will work! If it doesn't - change! You'll start to make good choices faster and faster, til you can nail it on the setup right off the bat! Takes a little time and there is no substitute for time on those lines!! Believe me, flying as much as you can will teach you more than any book! Yes the info in the book is valid, but until you change it into personal experience, well it's just words on a page!! Same with the tutorials, you got to put things in your hands and feel it, work through it!! Remember the winder thing? It didn't get better til you did it a few times, then it became easier!!

Question, since I already have a SLE rod, if the winds were strong, would that work on the B, rather than buying a 4 wrap rod, or would it not fit in the LE of the B, or is the SLE just not good to use, period?

Hmmm........3 kites in 3 weeks?.......I'm very sorry to tell you that you are showing all the symptoms of spontanious kite addiction.....there is no known cure.

However we can offer a counselling service.....now repeat after me..

"....my name is Bob and I'm a kite addict. It's been ..... hours since my last flight............."

:D Welcome to the addiction!

Remember to watch out the the symptoms of 'Stage 2"

Constantly looking at trees/flags to guess the wind speed...

....A swollen kite bag......

.....and an empty Bank account!

• Like 1

Hmmm........3 kites in 3 weeks?.......I'm very sorry to tell you that you are showing all the symptoms of spontanious kite addiction.....there is no known cure.

However we can offer a counselling service.....now repeat after me..

"....my name is Bob and I'm a kite addict. It's been ..... hours since my last flight............."

:D Welcome to the addiction!

Remember to watch out the the symptoms of 'Stage 2"

Constantly looking at trees/flags to guess the wind speed...

....A swollen kite bag......

.....and an empty Bank account!

LOL. I am not even going to think about telling anyone in my family what I have done, except my dog...

• Like 1

Question, since I already have a SLE rod, if the winds were strong, would that work on the B, rather than buying a 4 wrap rod, or would it not fit in the LE of the B, or is the SLE just not good to use, period?

To put an SLE rod in a "B" is sacrilege!! The "B" was designed around using the flex that the 1/4" rods have, not the inflexibility of the SLE tubes!! Yes it will interchange, but don't let the Rev police catch you!!! :ani_weightlift:

• Like 1

To put an SLE rod in a "B" is sacrilege!! The "B" was designed around using the flex that the 1/4" rods have, not the inflexibility of the SLE tubes!! Yes it will interchange, but don't let the Rev police catch you!!! :ani_weightlift:

Somehow, I knew that was going to be the answer...... :ani_giveup:

Seriously, the SLE was designed around having a straighter LE overall and can use the SLE's stiffness to hold out the sail! The "B" was designed to work with the flex of 1/4" rods and the vertical panels help channel air properly over the sail for better use and control! Fly them both - you'll eventually feel the subtle differences between the two sail types!!

It's why you see lots of teams using "Pros", they can appreciate those differences!! Just starting out, it will be hard to tell, you're too involved trying to fly, to pay much mind! But as you progress, you'll begin to see and feel the difference!!

Seriously, the SLE was designed around having a straighter LE overall and can use the SLE's stiffness to hold out the sail! The "B" was designed to work with the flex of 1/4" rods and the vertical panels help channel air properly over the sail for better use and control! Fly them both - you'll eventually feel the subtle differences between the two sail types!! 

It's why you see lots of teams using "Pros", they can appreciate those differences!! Just starting out, it will be hard to tell, you're too involved trying to fly, to pay much mind! But as you progress, you'll begin to see and feel the difference!! 

Doesn't 180GO use SLE kites?

CaptainBob, you have indeed, made a great choice in kites, for your second Rev, and yes indeed, you are definitely snared, hook, line & sinker ! :clap;

After all of this, good luck keeping this secret with the dog. Before long, he's going to be sniffing out the new kites, and alarming the neighborhood (and family). :busted2:

As Rob mentioned, I too, with any Rev set, that I've owned (B-series, B-Pros, B2's), the Mid-Vent has always gotten the most air time !! (other opinions will be expressed, I'm sure). :g: Oh, and don't think that the MV will be the last........... :cat_evil: It won't..........

• Like 1

Doesn't 180GO use SLE kites?

Yep they do! But they just received a set of NYM kites (std) and most likely vents are coming!! Still haven't had a question answered about whether or not the NYM uses the "B" profile or SLE profile!! They are slightly different!!

At Rockaway or Lincoln City this summer, I might get a chance to compare them up close! Even lay them on top of each other to see any differences! I did that to compare my Rev1 to the Zen, and my SLEs to "B"s! Would like to know how the NYM compares!! :ani_idea:

Oh Wayne, just call Lolly and order a set :cat_lol:(check's in the mail)

At Rockaway or Lincoln City this summer, I might get a chance to compare them up close! Even lay them on top of each other to see any differences! I did that to compare my Rev1 to the Zen, and my SLEs to "B"s! Would like to know how the NYM compares!! :ani_idea:

Oh Wayne, just call Lolly and order a set :cat_lol: (check's in the mail)

You buying??? OH LOLLY!!!! Have I got an order for you!!! :ani_yahoo:

Sorry but that ain't happening! Higher utility bills and unexpected repairs to the furnace this winter have pretty much killed my budget! I do have a friend going though - Gerry Ralls! Hangs out with the Fosters and Pittmans or just about any team line! Look for his trademark - suspenders!! He wears them all the time!! Floppy hat, Buff,and maybe a hydration pack, he be there!!

Off topic a bit, but can you purchase items directly from Revolution? The reason I ask, is they sent me a $20 gift certificate, and I was wondering if a dealer would take that, or would you have to order something directly from Revolution.

Yes and no! Yes you can, but any local dealers won't like that you cut them out of the loop! I would see if any outlets will accept the certificate first, if that fails, then go through Rev directly! :ani_idea:

• Like 1

Off topic a bit, but can you purchase items directly from Revolution? The reason I ask, is they sent me a $20 gift certificate, and I was wondering if a dealer would take that, or would you have to order something directly from Revolution.

Yes and no! Yes you can, but any local dealers won't like that you cut them out of the loop! I would see if any outlets will accept the certificate first, if that fails, then go through Rev directly! :ani_idea:

Yeah, that's what I am going to do. I order mostly from AWOC, so I will ask them first.

• Like 1