KiteLife Forum

What's your favorite light wind Kite.

Captainbob

Just wait until you fly the NikNak. That poor 4d is going to gather dust... :cat_lol:

I was thinking that exact same thing today. So far the winds in my area, are favoring the 4D and other very low wind kites, and affording not many opportunities to fly the Revs, unfortunately. Hopefully that situation will change.

Just wait until you fly the NikNak. That poor 4d is going to gather dust... :cat_lol:

I was thinking that exact same thing today. So far the winds in my area, are favoring the 4D and other very low wind kites, and affording not many opportunities to fly the Revs, unfortunately. Hopefully that situation will change.

You can have some of my wind!! Please take it! It has been a gusty 15-25mph+ ( sometimes up to 50mph+) more or less contantly since NOVEMBER!. :angry2: ...I got a nice pre owned Benson Deepspace for Christmas and I've been able to fly it for less than an hour!.. :angry2: .......the only kite that has been seeing any air time is the Delta Hawk!.....I now have very long arms......... :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The winds here are really poor, I need to get brave and travel over a bridge and fly with Rob, I seem to live in a bowl, lots of apartments, trees and hills all around , the wala and the echo get the most flight time,, sadly it's not a lot

Let me know... I am so ready to fly with a real kite enthusiast ! Come before Memorial day, the beaches aren't charging admission until then !

I use a Rev 1.5 SUL in light wind, I also have a B series standard sail with a race frame that seems to do well in light wind. As for your list, the 4D is to small for me, I like a kite that I can feel more. I love the Zephyr in light wind,very smooth and graceful.

• Like 1

Low winds would have me on short lines, 30 - 50 feet. I will venture to longer as I get more comfortable though. The kite I would use would be my Rev 1.5 SLE SUL. The set up is Diamond frame, French Bridle and Magic Sticks. I'm more comfortable flying it with 15" handles but I practice with 13" too.

If I want to switch it up AND there is no wind, I'll fly my Indoor Rev on 20 feet. Zero wind but heaps of fun.

Low wind can be horribly discouraging and I used to hate it. But as your technique and touch grow it becomes quite relaxing. Main thing is stick with it.

I'm now making an effort with 2 lines... So now light wind weapon is my Temptation UL on 50 foot of line. I've tried on 100 feet of #50 but I'm not there yet. Slow and graceful. Allows time to get stalls perfected. Also let's me see what the kite is doing as everything is slowed down. Quite enjoyable dual line flying for this quad head!

• Like 3

Flew my new Niknak today. One word, "outstanding". What a difference in flying the Niknak, compared to the 4D. They are not even in the same league. The Niknak is smooth, floats forever, and one pull, and you can bring it to the top of the window with 80 ft lines. Made very well, and looks rugged for a SUL kite. Love it.

post-8031-0-34399700-1396730743_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Flew my new Niknak today. One word, "outstanding". What a difference in flying the Niknak, compared to the 4D. They are not even in the same league. The Niknak is smooth, floats forever, and one pull, and you can bring it to the top of the window with 80 ft lines. Made very well, and looks rugged for a SUL kite. Love it.

You talked me into the NikNak. I needed something for light winds. Just got it recently, and I love it. In 6-10mph winds today my E3 was flying nice and slow, but the NikNak was a little speedster. I'm not doing tricks yet, but I can't wait to learn.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

On 4/5/2014 at 1:39 PM, Captainbob said:

post-8031-0-34399700-1396730743_thumb.jp

Uh oh, now you've done it....wait until you get your mitts on a Pro Dancer sul.....

bt

• Like 1

It is hard to beat the ProDancer, as far as being able to get off the ground when there is no wind. The 3d (4d as well...) is a little more difficult, only because it is a small kite and really requires tempered inputs. It is really easy to yank the little kite out of the air because it requires such a light touch.

The Acrobatx UL isn't in the same class, it requires a perceptible breeze to fly...

Acrobatx is getting hard to find. I've read where some that really liked the standard didn't care for the UL. Stratus would be my pick because of the wider wind range and tougher frame.You can find it for under $100.00. I haven't flown either. The Flying Wings Zero would probably be the better choice. Those are UL kites. SUL is a different beast and get pricey fast.I've had a Skyburner Pro Dancer and a Prism Zephyr which didn't stay long.Pro Dancer is a ballet/precision kite with very little tricks in it. My SULs are Lam Hoac Tekken and AC. Stupid expensive but in my bumpy winds concluded they were worth the cost. IMO they are.I wish Skyburner still made the Niknak,Ocius(flown) and Aura(flown). I'd have all 3. Do some research and you might be surprised at how low some standards will fly with practice.Traded my Pro Dancer for a BMK Mongoose standard. 100% believe I got the better end of the deal.W/o the weight it'll fly in 2 to 3 but takes 4 to 5 to start tricking well and it's framed in Nitro... My Widow Maker Pro(also Nitro) will too but it takes a bit more effort and has less glide.My Premier Addiction will do some amazing groundwork and low altitude stuff in 2 or 3. Kites light,tough and fast enough to pop 15' off the ground catching some tricky stuff in next to no wind.20 to 25 winds for me are the hardest to trick in. 1 to 3 is the most frustrating.I'm into learning as many tricks as I can. If it wasn't for that I'd probably be happier with a less then $100.00 light wind glider.Some of the things folks do in 0 to 3 on gliders is pretty cool. I don't think you live where winds cycle dramatically. At a similar price point other than the 4D the Kaiju might be something to consider for a SUL kite. Heck you could drive to the MAN to get one and might even get a lesson. Burger and a beer are pretty good bribes for a lot of us.