KiteLife Forum

Tilley Hats ?

Reef Runner

Anybody got any history, with a Tilley Hat ? I just received one today, that I ordered online - the T3 original. I have looked at these hats, and read about them for years, but just never got around to pulling the trigger (they are proud of them). I must admit, though, I am extremely impressed. This will surely make one great flying hat, as it affords fantastic sun protection, and it is likewise suited for windy conditions, as well............

post-4670-0-29153800-1393534800_thumb.jp

"Well blow me down, and call me Shorty"

No, "Shorty", not Wayne

Should anyone be interested:

Product Details: TILLEY COTTON T3 MENS HAT NATURAL - Designed with a medium brim that snaps up on both sides, the Tilley Endurables T3 canvas hat is constructed from fabric that`s derived from an incredibly durable sailcloth that is still used in boating today. The pre-shrunk 10-ounce, 100 percent cotton duck is both rain and mildew-resistant. The fabric has also been certified to block 98 percent of harmful UVA/UVB radiation and deliver an ultraviolet factor (UPF) of 50+--the maximum rating given. Other features include a dark under brim for glare protection and float-ability. It also ties on in windy conditions. Each Tilley hat is hand-sewn and all seams are lock-stitched so they won`t unravel. It also comes with a secret pocket in the crown to safely and securely store items such as a driver`s license, room key, or a $20 bill. Machine wash on delicate cycle separately or hand wash in cool water. Do not use bleach. Guaranteed for life not to wear out.

• Like 2

Another good reasons to buy Tilley is the warranty- they stand behind their products hardcore, like Rev does, Costco, Nordstrom, and a few others. Check it out, guaranteed never to shrink, fade, stretch, they will replace it no problems, if it happens, and usually fast. Also, easy to clean!

NIck, you're going to fall in love with the Tilley. I hate hats ... I mean I really, really hate wearing hats. But, with kite flying, it's foolish not to wear one. I tried a bunch of different brands and styles of hats all with limited success. Finally broke down and bought a Tilley. The fit was fantastic ... it was/is comfortable all day long. Mine had the small band of venting at the top ... great when it's cool out, but not when it became warm. Bought a second Tilley with full venting ... that was the secret for me.

Flying to a kite event ... no problem ... throw it in the suitcase, squash it down and close the lid. Get to the festival, pull it out and pop it back into shape. Dirty? No problem, throw it in the washing machine and out it comes clean as can be. I hang it upside down from the straps and let it dry. Stretch the hat band over my knee when it's dry and it's like new. How you treat he hat takes a little getting used to ... spending that much money and then treating it like a $5 baseball hat ... doesn't seem right. But, mine is two years old and looks like new.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

They are guaranteed against getting lost too.

From their website:

If your Tilley Hat or Cap has been irretrievably lost, stolen or destroyed, within two years of the purchase date, you may replace it with the exact same style for one-half the present catalogue price, plus taxes and shipping. (If you want another style, we'll credit you 50% of the current catalogue price for the style you lost.)

I love mine. Wear it outside all the time. Family has had some issues with skin cancer so hats are de rigueur. Great for camping, gardening, kite flying, hiking, everywhere. Along with the UV buff an unbeatable combo. Washing, packing, storing are no problem. bounce back into shape every time.

Tilley hats are like Bose products,... (particularly their headphones) if you can get passed their initial price-tags they are a great return on your investment! My Tilley is at least 10 years old and still looks pretty darn good. It's been passed a couple of necessary and intense laundry sessions, (comes out like new each time). A fancy woven horse-hair hat band from Peru rounds out my sun protection attire unless my ears are too cold.

Another?

sunglasses by Julbo (if you are like me and very light sensitive try these out, 80+% block-out UV filtered lens and leather side shields)

http://www.rei.com/product/826293/julbo-colorado-glacier-glasses-mens. I've been thru dozens of pairs and these beat-out products costing 6 times the price!

Want more light blocked yet? 95% blocked!

http://www.rei.com/product/826296/julbo-explorer-glacier-sunglasses-mens

I have three Tilleys and I'm usually not what person. I love my Tilleys. One is khaki, one is navy blue and one is off-white hemp. They're all a little different style for different situations. Welcome to the club.

Do you wear them, when you are practicing with the Pros ? :ani_giveup:

Tilley has a great line of travel clothing that strikes a nice balance between presentable and casual - looking good but staying comfortable. Pricey but long lasting and worth it - like the hats that made their rep.

And Tilley is proudly Canadian to boot!

Tilley has a great line of travel clothing that strikes a nice balance between presentable and casual - looking good but staying comfortable. Pricey but long lasting and worth it - like the hats that made their rep.

And Tilley is proudly Canadian to boot!

For when you're oot and aboot!

I have 3 and worn out 2. They immediately replaced them at my local Tilley dealer for free.

@

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

CV, you must be tough on your hats... how do you wear one out ? My Tilley is only a couple years old, but I can't see it wearing out before I'm dead...

You guys!!!

If someone else had said "hey check out this hat it's really good" I would've looked a the price tag and told him "you're dreaming".

But I found myself actually looking! I think I'm far from buying. But the fact I'm looking at a $100+ hat is strangely new.

Come on! You are talking about people crazy enough to spend $300-$600 on a kite. And we buy more and more kites. What's $100 for the official kite flier's hat? Lmao.

I used to think one of my many ball caps was fine, but I do love my Tilley. I'm packing it for the trip across country to KP.

You guys!!!

If someone else had said "hey check out this hat it's really good" I would've looked a the price tag and told him "you're dreaming".

But I found myself actually looking! I think I'm far from buying. But the fact I'm looking at a $100+ hat is strangely new.

And you'll learn the special "Tilley" greeting. [http://www.tilley.com/Shop/WorldBestHat/HatFittingGuide.aspx]

On the street, they're not that expensive Fair Dinkum. Check out OutlandUSA.com or hollandhats.com for better prices. I have an LTM6 and LTM8 hat ... both are much less than $100. I suspect that there is a similar supplier down under.

Cheers,

Tom