KiteLife Forum

Tilley Hats ?

Reef Runner

From the website;

The Tilley Hat fits more comfortably than other hats. It’s designed to be worn low on your head and slightly loose. It should be held on by gravity, not by painful pressure on your forehead! For the proper fit, you should be able to easily insert two fingers, flat, between the middle of your forehead and the front of the Hat. The Hat should be loose enough that you can rotate it to the left and right, and lift it up and down, without friction on your forehead. When it’s windy, use the cord!

So regarding size do you buy per the guidance of the website, or being that the hope is always to be in the wind do you get a tad smaller size?

From the website;

The Tilley Hat fits more comfortably than other hats. It’s designed to be worn low on your head and slightly loose. It should be held on by gravity, not by painful pressure on your forehead! For the proper fit, you should be able to easily insert two fingers, flat, between the middle of your forehead and the front of the Hat. The Hat should be loose enough that you can rotate it to the left and right, and lift it up and down, without friction on your forehead. When it’s windy, use the cord!

So regarding size do you buy per the guidance of the website, or being that the hope is always to be in the wind do you get a tad smaller size?

Use the website "Hat Sizing Guide", and the statement that you just quoted. Measure around your head, with a cloth measuring tape, exactly as they say. Just measure the circumference as they say, but don't pull it tight. What ever that measurement is, reference the sizing chart, and find your size, "for a Tilley Hat". Here is an email that I got back from Tilley, when I had the same questions.

Thank you for your correspondence. I hope this is a clearer explaination on how to measure.

Please remeasure using the instructions that are listed below and send me the exact measurement. From this measurement I will be able to determine your hat size.

Head Measuring Guide

We suggest that your Tilley be worn nice and loose for a cool, comfortable fit (so loose in fact that you could easily slip one finger between your forehead and hat). If the hat can move slightly side to side and fits comfortably, it should be fine.

Please note, you do not want to measure with your fingers under the measuring tape.

To measure, please take a soft measurement just above your eyebrows using a fabric tape measure. Have the top of your eyebrows touching the bottom of the measuring tape. Don't pull tight and watch that the tape is in the right location (that it does not fall down in the back). It helps to measure in front of a mirror or to have a friend help mark the tape. No need to go up a size, unless you fall between sizes. From this measurement, I'm sure we will find your perfect fit.

Sincerely,

Debbie orderscan@tilley.com

In a later email, Debbie explained to me, that the "two fingers", that are recommended, are built into their sizing chart. I measured as directed, and got 23 1/8" around my head. Based on that measurement, the chart says that I need size 7 3/8. That's what I ordered, and it's a perfect fit. And as it says, I can slide 2 fingers, between the front of the hat band, and my forehead. The hat is NOT supposed to be a tight fit !

If you got further questions........use the email address above......or call them (number on the Tilley website)

ps.........read the website information carefully, as they say "never go smaller on the size", in fact they recommend, that if you fall between sizes, go one size larger. If the wind is blowing hard, use the strap. It's a very neat arrangement, yet I haven't felt the need for it yet. Still, there's nothing worse than a hat, that is too tight. It won't be comfortable and you'll end up removing it.

Oh, and BTW, my Tilley T3, not only has a tag in it, that says "size 7 3/8". That same tag clearly states 23 1/8", which is of course, the exact measurement that I took, when I measured my head, as instructed by the sizing guide. Now Tilley didn't make that tag, especially for me, as I ordered my hat from another online store, after searching for a better price, and someone closer by, than ordering direct from Tilley ! But I knew, based on my information from Tilley, what size to order. Yes, I was worried and somewhat skeptical, but when I got the hat, it was perfect.....7 3/8......... :)

If you are still concerned about the size, I would suggest going to a store, and trying on some Tilley Hats, then buy it there, or at least make note of the size that suited you. Again, don't get it tight ! :exclamation:

post-4670-0-24227800-1394200916_thumb.jp

LE CHAPEAU TILLEY

I used to be a baseball cap kite flyer. I would sometimes turn it around to keep the sun off my neck. I decided that skin cancer would cost me more than the Tilley. Now I'm flying in a Tilley and a buff. Spent all day outside all three days of TI Kitefest and did not get burned. Love it. Like Paul says, wash it, care for it like they say to, and it lasts forever.

• Like 1

I used to be a baseball cap kite flyer. I would sometimes turn it around to keep the sun off my neck. I decided that skin cancer would cost me more than the Tilley. Now I'm flying in a Tilley and a buff. Spent all day outside all three days of TI Kitefest and did not get burned. Love it. Like Paul says, wash it, care for it like they say to, and it lasts forever.

Good Job BB.

They really are the best. I had mine fitted at a milliner. I still prefer to go to brick and mortar stores when given a decent price. I'm a hat guy. I wish there were more hat stores out there (and not the ball caps places). There was something to be said about men wearing fedora's, homburg's, stetson's, trilby's (the style not the kite). In one way it seems people had more style for going out then, instead of wearing flip flops and cargo shorts to a nice restaurant or church.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My choice is one from Columbia Sportswear! Got a bit of venting for heat, large brim, tie for neck, and a tightening bunjii for around the head too, making it a "one size fits all"!! UPF 50 rated and under $20.00!!! And it has colors to choose from!!!

Got one of these , works great. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12647905&prodFindSrc=cart So light, and cool, you forget your wearing a hat.

My choice is one from Columbia Sportswear! Got a bit of venting for heat, large brim, tie for neck, and a tightening bunjii for around the head too, making it a "one size fits all"!! UPF 50 rated and under $20.00!!! And it has colors to choose from!!!

Another reason I like this one is that I can loosen the bunjii on the headband and wear it over a hoodie, if need be! Weather gets nice, I can tighten as needed! Versatile!!

• Like 2

I know this sounds crazy, but the other day, I decided to wash my brand new (unworn) Tilley T3 - in the washing machine, as per the manufacturer's instructions. You are actually supposed to wash them, "quite often". Anyway, when I took it out of the washer, YES, it looked like crap, for sure. Having faith though, I re-shaped it by hand, again as per instructions, and laid it out flat, to begin drying. After a short while, I tried it on, and I thought that surely, I had messed up. It was quite snug. Still, having faith, and relying on the manufacturer's instructions, I sat down, put the hat over my knee, and gave it a good pull. I tried it on again, and now it felt much better, just like they said it would. So now, back to the correct fit, I left it to continue drying, overnight. Next day, voila - perfect hat, perfect fit, perfect look. It's now got that great old, "favorite hat" look & feel, plus, it's now so much softer, and it fits just perfectly. I suppose those Tilley people really do know what they are talking about.............Happy, happy !

:cowboy:

• Like 5

CV, you must be tough on your hats... how do you wear one out ? My Tilley is only a couple years old, but I can't see it wearing out before I'm dead...

Sweat.... They break down along the forehead and eventually tear out. For some reason my girlfriends hat wore along the edge of the brim.. All were replaced without question.

@

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

• 2 months later...

CV, you must be tough on your hats... how do you wear one out ? My Tilley is only a couple years old, but I can't see it wearing out before I'm dead...

Sweat.... They break down along the forehead and eventually tear out.

Yep, and that's why the owner's manual says to "wash it often" - REALLY - in the washing machine. Sweat will eventually destroy most any fabric.

On a more recent note, just last week, I noticed an entirely different, and unrelated problem, having to do with the sewing, on my "Tilley T3 Original". I called the customer service people, really just to ask about it, and they told me to immediately send it back to them, because that just wasn't right (so I did). :cat_shocked:

Only problem, I've become so fond of my Tilley hat, that I went out and got myself another one, because I just couldn't stand to be without, while my old one went back to the shop ! What can I say.....when you're hooked, you're hooked.....

post-4670-0-73990500-1403727087_thumb.jp

they are just great hats !

• Like 1

... Having faith though, I re-shaped it by hand, again as per instructions, and laid it out flat, to begin drying. ...

Try hanging the hat upside down by the straps to dry it. Better air circulation to speed up the drying ... and, it keeps it's shape better than laying it on a hard surface.

I told you to have faith!!! Makes you pucker to treat it like a $5 baseball cap doesn't it?

Cheers,

Tom

BTW ... ust double checked and I own a LTM6 and a TM10

• Like 1

I told you to have faith!!! Makes you pucker to treat it like a $5 baseball cap doesn't it?

Well Tom, you got to admit, it does look pretty rough, after that final spin in the washing machine, but once you re-shape it, and let it dry, it's just got that great old, "favorite hat" look & feel. As for drying, I flatten out the brim, and re-shape it first. Then, I lay it across the 5 or 6 inch gap, between my washing machine & the dryer. Maybe I'll try your method of hanging it by the straps, next time. One time, I actually took it straight out of the washing machine, and after straightening out the brim, I just pulled it down, onto my head, and went about the day. It dried just fine, and shaped to my head perfectly. :ani_victory:

... One time, I actually took it straight out of the washing machine, and after straightening out the brim, I just pulled it down, onto my head, and went about the day. It dried just fine, and shaped to my head perfectly. :ani_victory:

Well, I guess that's better than a Styrofoam head form ... probably even more intelligent.

Thanks for the smile,

Tom