KiteLife Forum

WTB. Beater 1.5 SLE

I want to try an experiment in venting, but I'm on a very limited budget, so I'm looking for a beat up sail and a heavy set of rods. I'd even like some "tomato stakes" if you've got them. 8-) I think I could work around even a ripped or torn sail, so search the bottoms of your kite bags and help me make my high wind dreams come true.

Thanks

Kelly

• Like 1

Yup! All of you know where this is going then. We've had a week of Chinook winds here - 50-60 kph gusting here, and 70-80 kph a little further south. These are the warm dry winds that can take us from -30 when you go to bed, to hearing water running thru the eavestrough at 3 AM. I want something I can control in that sort of wind. We get a dozen or so of these sessions every winter.

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind]

The French stars really intrigue me:post-7975-0-67663800-1394295163_thumb.jp

I'm actually going to try a reverse experiment where I put on as little sail as I can, then add to it bit by bit until it flies.

Wish me luck!

You did notice that the design of that kite, has the rods in front of the sail, not back like regular?? Something to do with the lack of sail, I'd think!! Alden Miller has one we call "Vickie", after Victoria's Secret, basically covers the rods and an outline, but not much more! :ani_idea:

Yup! All of you know where this is going then. We've had a week of Chinook winds here - 50-60 kph gusting here, and 70-80 kph a little further south. These are the warm dry winds that can take us from -30 when you go to bed, to hearing water running thru the eavestrough at 3 AM. I want something I can control in that sort of wind. We get a dozen or so of these sessions every winter.

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind]

The French stars really intrigue me:attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'm actually going to try a reverse experiment where I put on as little sail as I can, then add to it bit by bit until it flies.

Wish me luck!

I could send you some Red White or Blue AirX 700N and you can make your own. My sister works at a sail loft and said they have lots of extra scraps in those colors.
I plan on going the opposite direction and making a SUL with tea bagging.
Post pics of your project :)

I would love some fabric scraps, although I'm not familiar with that type. The red & white colours would be very appropriate for a Canadian - maybe I could do a small maple leaf in the center where the Rev logo usually is, with vertical strips of fabric out on the wings.

I'll PM you.

Yep, that's "her"!! Flew her at WSIKF 2 summers ago! Actually flies well in reverse too! No venting at all, just what you see!!

Another nickname - "The Flying Thong"!

Funny you say that. My PoloVTD flies in reverse in lower winds than upright.

Yep, that's "her"!! Flew her at WSIKF 2 summers ago! Actually flies well in reverse too! No venting at all, just what you see!!

Another nickname - "The Flying Thong"!

Why be so obvious? How about the Ipanema Rev?

I was getting a little weirded out when this thread started mentioning tea bagging and thongs.

• Like 1

I only have one Rev, so I'm not going to take any chances with those rods. That's why I'm looking for a beater set that I can 'experiment' with. I need a crash test dummy is what I'm saying, but I don't have the $100 to just go out and buy a new set.

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't you just size it to fit an 2m standard 8mm carbon rod if you're on a low budget?

When I was a student I made miniatures of rev's with just one 2m long 4mm classic carbon rod... (Cut as 1.2 / 0,4 / 0,4) they where awsome ... windrange from 1 to 8 BFT ;)

Not that easy to hover precisely...

Phil

That's about what I have ended up doing Philippe. I have a standard SLE (tomato stakes) for my leading edge that someone was getting rid of for a song, then I got a couple of Skyshark P8's for my verticals, which should give me a frame like a Mac truck. I will run a tension line around the perimeter and then add 3? Maple Leaf shapes within to act as my sails, leaving a lot of open area for vent. I've had to buy spars, bridle and end caps, so this one is not free, but...

I'm also doing an ultralight version that uses 5mm rods and connectors rescued from garbage kites that were being thrown away. The connectors give the frame a dihedral aspect, so it really isn't a Rev anymore, but it will be bridled as a quad. I'm using a mylar space blanket for skin, so everything so far is coming from recycling - total cost so far is $0.

So we will see how all of this turns out. Even if they suck, I still have my classic 1.5 full sail as my main quad kite.

Kelly

• Like 1

Thanks, but I have all the frame parts I need now. Since I'm building a high wind custom vent style, the 2 wrap would be too light for what I plan to fly in with this monster.

The only parts I need now are the bridle and end caps with bungees.

Kelly

• 2 months later...

I'll take that as a compliment, although it really should be Fredrick's of Calgary. It is rather minimalist, but has a frame like a Mack truck.

Someday I'm going to fly in 80-90 km/hr Chinook winds and I will be the only thing in the sky!