KiteLife Forum

Line suggestion snapshot 1.2

Larry OKC

I took my snapshot 1.2 out yesterday wind was 17-20 mph the lines that came with it snapped in 10 mins. The weird thing was they snapped at the handle and in the middle of the line. This was my first time flying it and now need some better lines...

I took my snapshot 1.2 out yesterday wind was 17-20 mph the lines that came with it snapped in 10 mins. The weird thing was they snapped at the handle and in the middle of the line. This was my first time flying it and now need some better lines...

Wow, what lines did you get with it? Should have come with 85ft 55# , which shouldn't break with that small a foil. I would contact Prism and tell them what happened.

I would think that kite should have at least 100# - 150# lines. If you were hitting 20mph+, you were definitely pushing the limits, especially if you flew it hard, in the middle of the wind window..........

Also, do you mean, that one line broke at the handle, and the same line broke in the middle, simultaneously ? That's very strange, to say the least (for a line to break in two spots, at the same time)

Tough luck, to say the least :cat_shocked:

Yeah. That's weird. First off the 1.2 has very little pull, although in those winds it's getting up there. I would upgrade to 90#. I just don't think you need more than that, but maybe 150# on an alternate set for flying in tornados.

I have a 1.9 and I snapped a 300# line in a storm front gusting to 40 mph. I usually only fly it for arm pulling any more so all of my flying is at the top end. 90# should be plenty.

Yes it did come with 85' 55# line and says Its rated upto 25mph winds so I thought I was okay.. This was my first time up so nothing crazy just took it up did s few turns back and forth to each side of the window with a couple of loops on each side. Then I was just turning back in for another pass and the line snapped from the holder so I was going to lay everything out and just retie it to handle but I was missing about half of it.... Never in my life would I think it would/could break in two places at the same time...

Well, I see that the Prism website says 55#, however, most other websites, that sell the kite, say 100#. That too, is kinda strange. I don't care what Prism says, if it's rated to fly in 25mph winds, I still think you need at least 100#............(just my opinion) :cat_sick:

My 1.7 Flexfoil came with 150# top lines, and 90# brake lines and the instructions are quite clear about not mixing them up - color coded and everything. Given the pull I've already experienced with it, I wouldn't go any lighter. I've used those lines on my Rev on some high wind days too.

For my Chinook wind flyer (custom design in the making) I'm going to 150's all around. But I don't expect it to launch in less than 30mph wind and I want to keep flying up into the 50's. (Local conditions).

I agree that 55# sounds a little light. I flew my 1.2 in ballistic winds (over 20mph) with the stock lines, and no issues. Maybe Prism is packing the new ones with lighter lines, you know, to increase that profit margin. I'd call them & complain.

As my collection of kites has expanded so has my stock of line sets to choose from. As my flying hours have accumulated so has my pile of trashed items. I have only broken a few lines, all lighter ones. It has been when flying in my gusty inland winds at the upper limit of the kite's wind range. Early on broken spars were leading edges snapped from ground contact. As kite control improved broken spars changed to spines & spreaders from flying in the upper limit of the wind ranges with gusts low in the window doing the damage. Now I have more high wind kite choices & I also tend toward higher strength lines when the air speed will support the weight of them. If the lines are sagging from light wind I switch to lighter lines or a different kite. But really what I wanted to add is when a line or spar breaks I consider it like blowing a fuse or tripping a breaker. It's my warning to change to a more robust combination of line & kite. I have thought that the supplied line set with my Prism Snapshot 1.2 was a good compromise for the intended use of the kite. But these days I tend to fly shorter stronger lines than many of my kites have come with. I believe I'll fly my 1.2 on some different length & weight line sets just to see how the fast little kite responds.

Well the owners manual on their website for the 1.2 says 80 x 100# Spectra. I am sure if you contact them monday, they will send you a new lineset. http://prismkites.com/download/snapshot_instructions.pdf

I agree with Captainbob, call Prism and raise h*!!. That's just not right, Prism's own instruction manual, clearly states that the recommended flight line is 100# Spectra, yet their sales literature on the website shows 55#, so they ship the kite with a line that's approximately half what "THEY" recommend (?).

Go figure ! :kid_cussing:

Well the owners manual on their website for the 1.2 says 80 x 100# Spectra. I am sure if you contact them monday, they will send you a new lineset. http://prismkites.com/download/snapshot_instructions.pdf

I agree with Captainbob, call Prism and raise h*!!. That's just not right, Prism's own instruction manual, clearly states that the recommended flight line is 100# Spectra, yet their sales literature on the website shows 55#, so they ship the kite with a line that's approximately half what "THEY" recommend (?).

Go figure ! :kid_cussing:

I had a question about my Prism 4D that I couldn't find an answer to, so I called Prism and talked to their customer support person. He was very helpful, had to research the problem, and called me right back with an answer. I am sure they will send you a new lineset.

I had a question about my Prism 4D that I couldn't find an answer to, so I called Prism and talked to their customer support person. He was very helpful, had to research the problem, and called me right back with an answer. I am sure they will send you a new lineset.

I would surely hope so. It would be the right thing to do :doh:

This discussion inspired me to dig up my original documentation that came with my Prism SnapShot 1.2. The attached tag has this information:
SNAPSHOT 1.2 SPEED FOIL (Lime)
$69.99
Specifications
Skill Level Novice - Intermediate
Wing Span 48" (122 cm)
Sail Area 2 sq ft (0.6 sq m)
Wind Range 6 - 25 mph (9.5 - 40 kmh)
Pull Light
Speed Very fast
Sail Ripstop Nylon
Flying Lines 85' x 200 lbs Spectra tm (25.9m x 90.7 kg)

INCLUDES: Kite and tail, carry case, 85' x 200 lbs, Spectratm line set with wrist straps and winder.

The tag also has description of how the kite flies & some warnings/advice

I believe this is what I actually have. This kite was purchased in a real kite store in October of 2012 & appeared to be fresh stock. The kite, lines & straps were in a sealed bag inside the carry case. The dealer mentioned that he sold many of these kites during the summer beach season. I have also experienced parts of ready to fly kite packages being substituted by shop employees when something was missing.

But there are contradictions in the same package, probably due to changing production & keeping the same documentation. The included pamphlet flight guide says that the recommended line set is 80' x 100# Spectra.

edit: yes, it does indeed say 2 sq ft of sail

I bought 2 from the kite shop that I was refered to my a local club. One for me and one for a buddy.

Snapshot 1.2 Specs

Skill Level Beginner - Intermediate

Wing Span 48" (122 cm)

Sail Area 6.5 sq ft (0.6 sq m)

Speed Very Fast

Pull Light

Sail Material Ripstop Nylon

Flying Lines 85’ x 55 lbs Polyester (25.9 m x 24.9 kg)

I have email Prism and will follow up Monday with a phone call.. I'll let ya know what they say...

This discussion inspired me to dig up my original documentation that came with my Prism SnapShot 1.2. The attached tag has this information:

SNAPSHOT 1.2 SPEED FOIL (Lime)

$69.99

Specifications

Skill Level Novice - Intermediate

Wing Span 48" (122 cm)

Sail Area 2 sq ft (0.6 sq m)

Pull Light

Speed Very fast

Sail Ripstop Nylon

Flying Lines 85' x 200 lbs Spectra tm (25.9m x 90.7 kg)

INCLUDES: Kite and tail, carry case, 85' x 200 lbs, Spectratm line set with wrist straps and winder.

The tag also has description of how the kite flies & some warnings/advice

Hmmmm............ :g: Something is amuck !

Hey Ralph, I think you got shorted on your Snapshot. Only 2 sq ft of sail area ? That's pretty small, wouldn't you say :doh:

ps......I'm sure that's a translation error, because 2 sq ft doesn't match up with .6 sq meter ? Go figure.

• Like 1

I did call them and they will be sending out a new lineset. :rockon:

Glad to hear that, i thought they would. By the way, what exactly are they going to send you, did they say?

He did not say but we did talk about at lease 90# I will let ya know when it gets here..

Well they sent me the same 55# line..

That's ridiculous. Says alot about their current customer service. Document all this, and when the new line breaks, tell us all about it and call them again for another replacement.

They had a forum where people could discuss problems with their products, and I complained weeks ago that you couldn't sign up for the forum. One of their folks on their Facebook page said they were going to fix the forum. What they did instead, was just disable the forum altogether. You may want to post your line issue on their Facebook page to get some attention. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Prism-Kite-Technology/267236646644831

• Like 2