KiteLife Forum

And it begins...

Best of Luck to you both! You're at the right age to be doing such a journey and I hope you'll both be happy in your travels. Please consider a stop at "The Hill" in York, PA as many good fliers gather there. I think a little group could easily happen and the view is very nice! :)

• Like 3

I'd like to wish you both safe travels. Hopefully the stop at LSP means that you're planning on flying in the NYC area. Maybe even a clinic ? If you wander a little bit east of the city, look me up ! Good food & a place to rest...

• Like 3

I've been following this thread and I have to say that I'm extremely jealous. Do it now and you'll never be disappointed that you did. I got married and had kids right away while I chased the paycheck. After 20 years of working regularly, a downsizing, a failed startup and more work I often wonder what it would be like to chuck it all and live a very lean lifestyle while experiencing the world. I finally learned not to chase things, but to chase memories. My parents didn't get to do much of that together because my mother died shortly before retirement and I saw how it slowly killed my father. With 4 kids still at home, 2 in elementary and 2 of them with a couple of minor medical problems I know that it will never happen. I am on the edge of getting rid of all of my camping equipment. I am a doting father who is supportive and involved in all of their activities. Kiting has become that several hour escape for me because I absolutely love being outside and I don't have the planning, packing and travel that camping and hiking had with it. The sky looks the same everywhere during the day, but the stars are different.

Enjoy every moment of it and I hope our paths cross while you're on the road.

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Hey John, a few things:

I haven't been around the forums much for the past several months. I just this evening caught up a bit, seeing this thread and the "AKA and you" thread.

First, I want to belatedly add my thanks for the work you put into AKA. You heard from me a few times during your tenure, so you know how much I approved of the things you communicated while in office. I don't know what were the "forces outside of kiting" that required your resignation (nor do I need to know) but I hope that those issues are resolving themselves satisfactorily.

I read through much of the January thread on FB (which I was fortunately able to do, even though I have no FB account) and felt your frustration. FWIW, although my lovely wife and I are AKA members, I can't honestly say why. We don't get much out of it, except the magazine (most of which doesn't interest us) and the ability to attend kite festivals that might not happen without AKA insurance. I agree with others who commented that the value falls short of the cost from a personal perspective.

Second, I want to wish you luck on the big road trip. May it accomplish its goals. I note that your route takes you within a couple hours' drive of our home in northeastern Indiana, so I hope to have a chance to shake your hand again (maybe even a "bro hug," if you're into that) while you're in the neighborhood, and perhaps even participate in a clinic (now that a Kitelife drawing has "drawn" me to the dark side).

I'll try to keep a closer watch on the forum forthwith, so I'll know what you're up to and when to expect you to be nearby.

Grace and peace to you and your lovely wife,

jf

• Like 4

John, good for you and TK! All I can say is enjoy your adventure, and more importantly, you and your lady enjoy each other during that adventure.

If you get to the Kalispell/Whitefish Montana area, you have a bed and a shower here with my wife and I. There isn't a lot of real kite flyers here, but we do live in one of the most beautiful places in the U.S. With Glacier Park 20 miles from our front door.

Just let me know if that fits into your plans. We would love to have you guys.

mtgrizzly52

Thanks all - I'm very much looking forward to seeing where the year takes us.

Best places to keep up with our travels will be here on the forum (we'll set up a dedicated topic area), and on my public Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/johnbarresi

In all likelihood, we won't hit anywhere near Montana until October - you can see the approximate path on our travel map, just stretch it out by 6-7 months. :)

• Like 1

Okie dokie, I've created a special forum area and moved this topic into it.

D-day is coming for our 2014 "Let's Smile Together" tour, moving out of the apartment on April 25th!

By the way, we are selling our older Macbook, if anyone is in need of a laptop - it's a good deal. :)

• Like 1

We may linger in the Portland/Vancouver area for a few days to finalize some stuff, but yes, we're out of the apartment on the 25th. :)

Then up to Washington to drop off our turtle with friends and hang out for a couple days, then it's off to San Francisco for the real start of our journey!

I'm pleased to report, the clinic there (May 10-11) is already sold out and I have private lessons pre-booked for the three days following. :ani_punk:

• Like 4

I'm pleased to report, the clinic there (May 10-11) is already sold out and I have private lessons pre-booked for the three days following.

So...this means the dual-line clinic will be starting sometime around May 15? :ani_whistling:

(Hey, you can't blame a guy for trying ;) )

Best wishes for safe and happy travels. Keep me in mind -- it'd be great to see you while you're in the area.

-Brian