KiteLife Forum

WSIKF

Wayne Dowler

OK, now that Kite Party is over, I've got one big invite for you all!

If you can, make your way out to Long Beach, Washington in August, for a week long celebration of all things kite!! Probably the biggest get together of fliers anywhere, nice beach winds (hint hint), usually sunny (but not guaranteed), just a hoot!!

Some of us make it even longer coming early and staying after!!

There's info on their website about dates and a day by day breakdown of the happenings!!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEEQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.funbeach.com%2Fcalendar%2Findex.php%3FeID%3D4969&ei=3pQgU7fUCNHwoASKhoHgCA&usg=AFQjCNH-Ax7Deaz0omDnpR9RE-kFoykZ9A&sig2=KBdMhez0IILA-n4X2gzRGg&bvm=bv.62788935,d.cGU

Not sure if the info has been updated yet for this year, but it is close anyway to the usual pattern!

Hope you can make it!!

I arrive the 15th and depart the 26th, must be decent weather in that schedule sometimes. My preference is dead calm wind, sunny, hot and humid. I could promise this locally in my home town, probably for five straight months!

Be prepared for anything and everything! I've seen weeks of sun with no winds to rain and blowing!! Last year it was nice weather wise with mid to full vent winds most days! But we did have a few light days too (Zen time), so it's always a mixed bag up here!!

• 4 months later...

we match that schedule Wayne

I don't care what weather is being offered, if it's not lightning storm I am out flying

(noT all 11 days!, . . . . pretend you hear Barbara saying that,.... And see my head nodding forward & back vigorously)

Just use 30 footers when there's lightning...

• 3 weeks later...

Just a short report on how things went! Got up there the Friday before and saw some good friends - Jim and Lynn Foster, Cass and Carol Pittman, and more! Flew with them over the weekend as we were the "early birds"! Lots of fun with this group!!

As the week wore on I had the privilege of seeing a big group of the East Coast family - Scotty W., Paul D., Alden M., Rich C., and for the first time Paul L.! We've had many conversations over the years, but a continent between us, had meant we'd never met face to face!! I got to give him major kudos, he knows how to handle his setup! I saw flying in winds most can't handle (low), that was amazing!! But don't be fooled, he gets this from hours and hours of flying in these types of conditions! Did his setup help? It certainly worked for him!

Anyway over the course of the week, I was in line after line, some following, some leading! I want to personally thank Jim F. for letting me lead in his line at times. I learned a lot about what it take to lead! PS: It's not always as easy as it looks!! Gave some lessons to the new, flew with a lot of intermediate fliers, and jumped into some experienced lines too!

Indoors was one of my most satisfying experiences. Wednesday night was just demos, I did 2, a glider routine followed by my Rev routine. Had a bunch of fun doing those! Thursday night was for single line kites only! Flew 2 of my gliders, a Frigate and a Mega-Plutz. Plutz is so big (not as big as Paul D.'s Manta), that you almost need to start a turn as soon as you come out of one! Smallish venue! Flew to Amy Lee and Evanescence - love her voice! Friday was the Open competition, open to any and all comers, with any kite they choose to fly! Did a Rev routine to Elton John's "Sorry is the Hardest Word"! Killed it!! Was able to do everything I wanted to do with no bobbles or big miscues! Might not have scored big, but was very much a success in my view! A word on my comp view - I have no set routine, just some moves that I'd like to work in as I go. In my own mind, I look at it as just another demo! I really fly to satisfy myself and hearing any praise from my peers is way more than expected! Thank you to those of you that have seen the growth of my flying and expressed that! It means so much coming from those I look up to as inspiration for my flying!!

The weekend was just a non-stop blur! Teams and lines and friends and....!! Way too much fun, but way too short a time! (Where's that time machine anyway?) Time just flew by (literally) and soon people were going home. But I lucked out and was able to stay a day longer to keep the PFD (post festival depression) from creeping in! Got to fly with many I had started with, but in a less stressed way! Felt good to wind down like that!

Memories! That's what it comes to! Meeting friends, new and old, flying with everyone, just having fun together! It was a laugh and if fliers can't laugh together, well .........? :ani_yahoo:

• Like 4