KiteLife Forum

Washington State Intl Kite Festival (WSIKF)

John Barresi

Great festival. We were only able to get there for parts of Saturday and Sunday, but (in no particular order) ...

;) John, great reprise of the dogstake Red Riding Hood routine!

:clap; Moon, great music and great ballet to go with it!

:clap; Golly, some of those young guys are amazing flyers already!

:clap; Had a great chat with Willy Hendrickson just at dusk, as he was flying his SUL Genesis in next-to-no wind, doing slow-motion fade-flacks and axels. A little guy of about 10 came up and wanted his autograph, and Willy signed his kite bag for him. Must be something about the hypnotic motion of a kite in the air that makes kite folks friendly ...

:clap; That dye-sublimation print material in the Quantum Pro that Mark was flying is absolutely gorgeous. I'm amazed and delighted that someone has come up with a way to make that happen, and look forward to more of that as time goes on!

:clap; Bold move on Penny's part to incorporate a brand-new kite into her pirate routine!

:clap; Loved those light-but-steady winds -- stalls were easy, I finally nailed several axels in a row (even a couple of double axels with one tug of the line) and got lots better at landings. I grew up at the beach and never thought much about it, but for the first time in many years I'm questioning my move to the valley!

Fair skies, good winds --

-- Paul

Hi folks, my first post on this forum.

Ah WSIKF, just gets better and better every year. Friday night, tired from flying, eating salmon dinner to die for, wine cooler in the beer tent, marimba band playing their hearts out, fireworks show outside, and lot's of friends inside.

Other than breaking a couple OPK's that'll cost me dearly in the future, it just doesn't get any better than flying kites with friends you care for dearly. I'm still glowing! ;)

Thanks for the warm welcome from all my friends in the southern part of the Great Northwest. :clap; For some silly reason you folks are a very warm and inviting bunch. A little different from the chilly reception one often receives from the Kite Hill crowd. ;) The Prism Kite Kult.

Oh well, just glad to be here. Heck, I'm just glad to be anywhere!! :clap;

Thanks for the warm welcome from all my friends in the southern part of the Great Northwest. :clap; For some silly reason you folks are a very warm and inviting bunch. A little different from the chilly reception one often receives from the Kite Hill crowd. ;) The Prism Kite Kult.

Oh well, just glad to be here. Heck, I'm just glad to be anywhere!! :clap;

And Wynne, you are always welcome to pop up to Vancouver and fly with me at Vanier Park too!

Goodness, who turned on the lights? Oh, geesh.. that's Wyn glowing! For heaven sakes man.. have some Turkish coffee and wipe that brite off you smile... you're hurting my eyes. lol

Welcome to the forum.. Where are motto is.........."?" Hey, guys do we have a motto? Should we have a motto? We need a motto! Nothing nasty... keep it clean.. ok... looking for a motto.

BB

Penny ;) thank goodness for sun glasses in here.

Hey David, I've only flown at Steveston. Saw the videos of Ray Bethel flying at Vanier. Is their enough room? Gorgeous park, and grass, oh goody!!!! :wub:

I'm pretty tired of sand, the beach, and perfect winds. I'm a sick puppy, I need help. LOL Went up to the Zu in Bellingham last evening for the usual summer Wednesday evening kite fly. 20 minutes of wind and then pretty much dead. Egads, spend the evening yakking with friends. Even Justin was grounded.

Hi Penny, just trying to maintain an even strain here, and keep enough glow going to find my socks under the bed. The Whidby club has a demo going this Saturday for some event at the Admiralty Head Lighthouse in Coupeville, WA. I think I'm supposed to be providing some leadership for this thing. Right, fat chance, I'm just gaga useless. LOL

Ya know, the last two days of sun at WSIKF really makes you forget the other less than perfect days. Was it really all that wet? It really did rain once, didn't it.

Am I rambling? :blushing:

Oh ya, Vanier usually has a good amount of room on any given weekend and yep, its one damn good looking park to fly a kite in, all grass. And some goose poop. :blushing:

I found WSKIF weather to be typical, ie, utterly unpredictable but Saturday was one of the best days I have -ever- seen there, it was simply perfect.

Eeeuuuuu, I hate goosht and gooop. Stuff won't wash off, it just wears off. Right about the time the rods are starting to show through the leading edge, the gooop no longer shows!

Aren't those ornery critters up in Alaska now eating everything in sight like a plague of locusts. Last winter I stopped up at the Zu and there was an entire herd of them encamped on the grass. A couple of park workers were sitting in their truck watching them for a while possibly building courage. Finally one of them started approaching the geese on foot. When he got close enough to see that these things were huge, cranky, and had big beaks, he stopped and slowly backed away to the safety of the park truck. Parks - 0, Geese - 1

Seattle just goes ahead and machine guns them into oblivion. Or at least I've heard something to that effect. They're like rabid dogs. I think I'll go out this fall and spread a little goodwill and a little pepper in the grass. Be fun to see if it helps.

Anyway, David, Vanier sounds like fun and a real treat. I'll come up soon, I'm thinking maybe a week or two after Whidby. Of course, you can come down to the Zu also. Brewster's been there, maybe we can have a quad party. Justin knows which end of the handles to grab too.