KiteLife Forum

Line leaders for dual line kites.

SparkieRob

I'm going to make a special effort to learn some tricks on my dual line kites so I've put the Revs down for now. My Std came with line leaders and they are a bit ratty and I want to replace them. But before I send an order out I was wanting to know what they are made from? Do they wear out fast if you are doing a fair bit of tricking? What's a good length?

Any advice is appreciated.

• Like 3

I usually use bridle line for my leaders - about 150lb for a standard. They should last a very long time and help to protect the trailing edge of the sail when you do roll up tricks as well as let the flying lines drop a little which also helps. For length, I usually work on enough for one complete roll up plus a bit extra - up over the leading edge, down the back of the sail, over the trailing edge and back up the face of the sail to the leading edge - this is usually around 4-5' but it doesn't matter too much.

• Like 1

I'm going to make a special effort to learn some tricks on my dual line kites so I've put the Revs down for now. My Std came with line leaders and they are a bit ratty and I want to replace them. But before I send an order out I was wanting to know what they are made from? Do they wear out fast if you are doing a fair bit of tricking? What's a good length?

Brave soul...I would be shaking with the cold sweats already :) Good luck on your adventure...I will be reading and taking notes.
  • Like 2

Brave soul...I would be shaking with the cold sweats already :) Good luck on your adventure...I will be reading and taking notes.

That's for that. No doubt I'll have plenty of questions.

Mine didn't come with any leaders.  Should I add some as I'm trying to learn tricks too?  What do they look like?  Any pics?  

Imagine a piece of bridle line about 5 feet long with a loop on one end and a knot on the other, 2 pieces though.

They are a good idea if you want to do roll up and pitch based tricks. Other than that, they look pretty professional too!

Mine didn't come with any leaders. Should I add some as I'm trying to learn tricks too? What do they look like? Any pics?

They look like this - just extended tow points really. SparkieRob - which duals do you have? There are some very good Dual line trick tutorials online - look for Randy Greenway ( RandyG) and Martin Madsen (DPmama74) on Youtube.

023lwr.jpg

line_leaders.jpg

• Like 4

I've got 2 Temptations by Kaos (Kevin Sanders). A Standard and the matching UL. He's a great bloke and a hell of a wiz on the sewing machine. I've also got a Rokkaku from him. I'm still getting used to 2 lines as well as the kites. But from what I've found out, they are definitely "sweet rides"! Capable of much more than me.

post-6827-13948809634974_thumb.jpg

Edit: Just noticed the RHS leader is visible as it's white, LHS is hard to see as it's black.

• Like 2

Some of my kites have long leaders built into the bridle. I never felt the need for them on my other kites, but I suppose they would make the lower spreaders and trailing edge of the kite last longer.

• 1 year later...

I like to use enough leader for a little more than one wrap. I find the trailing edge lasts longer and the heavier bridle line drops onto the stoppers faster than regular flying line, making wrap tricks more consistant.

• 1 year later...

Can line leaders make (dual line) kites more wing tip snag prone than a kite without? For trick that rotates the kite in other directions than pitch, axels e.g. can the larger mass of the leaders cause the leader to be flung outwards around the wing tips?

Can line leaders make (dual line) kites more wing tip snag prone than a kite without? For trick that rotates the kite in other directions than pitch, axels e.g. can the larger mass of the leaders cause the leader to be flung outwards around the wing tips?

I would say, No.
I've experienced less snags and wraps when using them. The extra mass drops down when slack is given. The chance of them being flung outward is pretty much impossible due to the "plane" at which they function and that they are "Omni-flexible". They are being held at one end by the flying line so the force to throw them out is contained at one end.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SparkieRob said:

I would say, No.
I've experienced less snags and wraps when using them. The extra mass drops down when slack is given. The chance of them being flung outward is pretty much impossible due to the "plane" at which they function and that they are "Omni-flexible". They are being held at one end by the flying line so the force to throw them out is contained at one end.

Agreed.

It's not as though kites spin fast enough to create any noticeable centrifugal force anyway.

You give slack and the leaders help the lines drop out the way.  As a side benefit, they make the lines a bit more visible next to the kite.

• Like 2

Just a note:

You can make your own leaders by threading 100lb Dacron with 80lb Spectre core with a tapestry needle (round tip). Great tip from kite maker!
Loop on one end and knot on the other. Goes without saying the should be the same length.

• Like 2

When being out last Sunday with my only two kites with (integrated) leaders, the Kymera and the Hydra, I felt a bit pedantic. Therefore when disassembling I had the leaders to go around the sail and stand-offs as in the Kymera assembly/disassembly video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgHexOZ2LRY . Moments before that I noticed when carrying the kite, that you can trip on the leaders hanging down on the ground. All air of professionalism is then suddenly gone in a puff and your pride gets hurt, even without falling, on this for a change somewhat well populated winter day on the beach.

leadersOnIce.jpg

Leaders on ice.

• Like 1

Wrap the ends of the leaders around your top spreader to tuck it out of the way between flights - frankly, they're primarily useful for eliminating friction between your lines and TE bottom spreaders, trailing or leading edges... If you're not doing much slack line (pitch tricks), it's sort of irrelevant. :)