KiteLife Forum

San Francisco in May

Swannie

• 1 month later...

*bump*

Anyone? Any recommendations on a place to fly a Rev for a few hours? I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero, and I see a park named Sue Bierman Park right next door which seems to be fairly open to the east, and there also a park with in a short walk from the hotel called Rincon park that's right on the bay.

What's the prevailing winds like in SF? Vented? Full Sail?

Brian

I hope others who know the area better will be able to give you better advice, but I'll give a shot at it. (FYI, my typical flying spot is across the bay in Berkeley, and I don't frequent SF.)

Unfortunately for you, winds usually come from the west off of the ocean. They are typically strongest in the afternoon. The next week looks pretty windy based on forecasts. I have no idea how the winds will be at the small parks on the eastern side of the city, but there are a lot of tall buildings in the area you mention. From what I gather, the popular flying areas in SF are Ocean Beach and Marina Green. Ocean Beach can be very windy (and far from your location). I was at the Marina Green last weekend for the Rev clinic. Throughout the day, we flew everything from standard to full vent (and wishing for Xtra vent at times).

Hope that helps.