KiteLife Forum

Adjusting Trim on Rev and forward flight.

Captainbob

Following the procedure for adjusting the leader length, so that you can just reliably launch, I notice that once I set this according to the tutorials, then for forward flight, I have to hold my thumbs back pretty far, otherwise forward flight stops. Is this normal for a proper setup, or do I have too much brake in my adjustment?

• Like 1

Personal comfort is most important, changing your grip position can have dramatic impact on F/R also

Hadn't tried that. I was gripping the handles at the top of the foam, since I read in the beginning that was the proper place. I guess, if I moved my hands down more towards the center of the foam, that would give me the possibility of more forward. Anyway, will try that tomorrow. Test flying my magic sticks tomorrow too.

• Like 1

With a big brake setup on your handles...you will need to pump your arms in towards your body and "whump" the kite to get your forward movement started. But along with the same setup comes easier hovers,reverse,and a more "nuetral" overall flight charecteristic.

• Like 1

With a big brake setup on your handles...you will need to pump your arms in towards your body and "whump" the kite to get your forward movement started. But along with the same setup comes easier hovers,reverse,and a more "nuetral" overall flight charecteristic.

Well that is what I had today, so I guess I had it set correctly.

It's all about what you feel to be comfortable. Personally, I dig having to move, work, and pump the kite...some don't. But since you obviously have a leader setup on your handles...pull it in a knot or 2 on top if it feels like more work. Fly it for a reasonable amount of time before jumping to the conclusion you don't like it... maybe in a month,try it again.

As your skills grow...your taste will change for different things...and different setups for different situations. Just play with it....there is no test at the end of the week ;)

one jb showed me was farther out on the top leaders, hook your thumbs under the leaders pull your thumbs up past the top of the handles and pump back, this will give more forward for launch but once the kite is filled the precision is amazing (felt really uncomfortable for the first few times but the control is way better). If you watch jb's hands he has his thumbs on top and forward of the handles which means he only has to do very small brake inputs for the control he has.

• Like 1

If you watch jb's hands he has his thumbs on top and forward of the handles which means he only has to do very small brake inputs for the control he has.

It,s OK if you have thumbs as long as rods but not when you have stumpies like a lot of us ! :cat_shocked:

Bill

• Like 1

Today was the first time I've had to fly most of the winter. Wind was up around 15 so I used the vented. Since I hadn't flown for a while I set it up with lots of brake. Not having lots of hours on Revs yet and having not flown for a while I finally got a chance to gain feel for flying with lots of brake today with no recent practice to muck it up. I really learned a lot and it helped me work on inverteds and slides. Hope to get out tomorrow for a while and try some more. Warm weathers coming more regularly and it'll be gusty for the next couple of months before it dies down for Summer. I also learned how to control on the brake to try some rudimentary team moves. Not bad for two hours fun.

I keep my thumbs on the top of the handle. Easier for me to "ride the brakes" so to speak.

• Like 1

Sounds like you're getting the overall drift - leaders allow you to have a "neutral" setup! Think auto trannies for an example! On a standard shift, you must put the car in drive and let out the clutch to move! This is what you are shooting for - that "neutral", you have to give the kite the command to go forward! Too much forward may make launch easy, but then a gust hits and the kite "shoots" off uncontrollably! Leaders allow you to tune this out and adjust!

• Like 1

Sounds like you're getting the overall drift - leaders allow you to have a "neutral" setup! Think auto trannies for an example! On a standard shift, you must put the car in drive and let out the clutch to move! This is what you are shooting for - that "neutral", you have to give the kite the command to go forward! Too much forward may make launch easy, but then a gust hits and the kite "shoots" off uncontrollably! Leaders allow you to tune this out and adjust

That's exactly what I encountered, Wayne. Was nice to be able to "feel" it.

I feel it just makes it better - for me anyway!! Yes, I'm in the JB camp of lots of brake, I admit that, but it isn't the only way, just one way! Most people pick up my kite and can't even launch it, I use so much brake! Then I pick up John's and I struggle!! But I've found my "sweet spot" in my setup, not factory by any means, but not quite as much as John! Am I wrong??

It works for me, that's all I know!! :ani_yahoo:

• Like 1