KiteLife Forum

Magic Sticks Review

Captainbob

Scott W. Is a great guy.. Once I get caught up from adventure....I will add some tuning tips that came from him directly. I have not seen these anywhere on the forums. Also, the original "magic sticks" were made from different stuff..so the weighting and balance of the setup is not the same.

Also got some tips on the no knot bridle setup from LaMasters.. I think this has been shared before ... but I will type ot at the same time.

Still prefer no sticks..but will have a kite equipped with a set for those occasions.....and roll up trick practice.

Try this... half axel to roll up landing (l.e. down) to roll out 2 point landing ;)

Bob - I knew that you had only paid a buck more for the race frame, no big financial investment!!

I don't fly with magic sticks, but I don't have negative feelings for those that do! Just thought I'd pose a question that I have! I was going by the language used - stiffening! I want that bend!! Yesterday I had a mid with race and a full vent with 3s out, and personally, the 3s felt like broomsticks after flying the race! I understand the whole connectivity thing, just not the concept of "stiffening"", when the flex is what I use!!

Again IMHO!! :ani_idea:

Bob - I knew that you had only paid a buck more for the race frame, no big financial investment!!

I don't fly with magic sticks, but I don't have negative feelings for those that do! Just thought I'd pose a question that I have! I was going by the language used - stiffening! I want that bend!! Yesterday I had a mid with race and a full vent with 3s out, and personally, the 3s felt like broomsticks after flying the race! I understand the whole connectivity thing, just not the concept of "stiffening"", when the flex is what I use!!

Again IMHO!! :ani_idea:

Wayne,

I have flown aerobatic aircraft for years. Most people don't like to get in an airplane, and do spins, and loops and snap rolls. I could talk till I am blue in the face trying to convince people it's fun, but unless they try it, I would get nowhere. I think the same situation exists with the magic sticks. If you don't think they are a good idea, don't buy any. My explaining why I like them, will do absolutely nothing to convince you one way or the other.

• Like 1

Bob - never meant this to be argumentative in any way, just wanted to get that out!! Everybody is entitled to their opinion!! You have found what works for you - that is the whole point!!! Developing that "feel" we've been talking about! You've found it using sticks, I've found it using a race frame - are either of us wrong - NO! It's always been about what works for YOU! Or me, or Joe Schmoe!!

Different strokes - eh?

I does stiffen the frame in a different manner. Flex is still there. What it does do is.. allow a lighter frame to be used in a larger wind range. You might be switching to 3 wrap without sticks..but with them, the race could ride much larger winds.

• Like 1

I does stiffen the frame in a different manner. Flex is still there. What it does do is.. allow a lighter frame to be used in a larger wind range. You might be switching to 3 wrap without sticks..but with them, the race could ride much larger winds.

Exactly. And it's nice not to see the ends of the LE almost touch each other in a gust after launching in a 5 mph wind. :ani_whistling:

What it boils down to for me is...getting close to people....specifically kids. There is just something else in the way to be grabbed or hung up on. On the flip side,when that does happen...it is easier to recover or relaunch.

If I flew in a no wind no person environment. Sticks would be on every kite I own....may still be. Never say never...

What it boils down to for me is...getting close to people....specifically kids. There is just something else in the way to be grabbed or hung up on. On the flip side,when that does happen...it is easier to recover or relaunch.

If I flew in a no wind no person environment. Sticks would be on every kite I own....may still be. Never say never...

I would imagine flying close to someone would not be a good idea with the sticks, especially with the 50# lines which are hard to see. Nobody I know, would let me fly close to them, so I don't have to worry about that ;)

So I have been following this thread very close since the beginning and I guess here are my conclusions. I have never seen a Rev in real life. I bought two mid vents that should be here this week. I have no one to help me and in addition I am going to try to teach my 7 year old son to fly as well, which ends up in him being way better at things in a shorter amount of time. I purchased the Magic Sticks initially as purely a kick stand for my son so I wouldn't have to help him relaunch as much. Second, I ordered the Revs with Race frames. I can only afford one kite at this time and this allows us to fly in a wider wind range. The weight and feel don't play into my decision because I have nothing to compare it to. Hopefully the Magic Sticks allow us to fly more with less trouble. For a beginner it seemed like a wise investment. Trust me I wouldn't have spent the extra money if I didn't think it was going to be worth it. I am tired of hearing "you spent how much on kites?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So I have been following this thread very close since the beginning and I guess here are my conclusions. I have never seen a Rev in real life. I bought two mid vents that should be here this week. I have no one to help me and in addition I am going to try to teach my 7 year old son to fly as well, which ends up in him being way better at things in a shorter amount of time. I purchased the Magic Sticks initially as purely a kick stand for my son so I wouldn't have to help him relaunch as much. Second, I ordered the Revs with Race frames. I can only afford one kite at this time and this allows us to fly in a wider wind range. The weight and feel don't play into my decision because I have nothing to compare it to. Hopefully the Magic Sticks allow us to fly more with less trouble. For a beginner it seemed like a wise investment. Trust me I wouldn't have spent the extra money if I didn't think it was going to be worth it. I am tired of hearing "you spent how much on kites?"

My solution to that problem is I don't tell anyone I know how much I spent........ ;) They think I got them at Walmart for about $10 each.

• Like 2

you and your son will have a great time learning to fly Revs together, he'll pass you like a bullet in skills too (it will not take long!). Don't know where you guys live but an excellent investment to quicken your skill-set AND save you from wasting money,..... is to meet up with other fliers.

Look for an open area without obstructions (trees, buildings, lawn equipment, playgrounds, fences) Ideally with short cut grass too, so the lines don't snag crap on the ground.

Insure your lines and handles are properly tuned before attaching the kite. Leaders on the tops, (3 times longer than the bottoms to start), knots every 1/2 inch or so on 'em all. Layout the lines to a well placed stake or a fence-post with a carabiner clip, all lines to a single common point and affixed to your handles.

Identify one of the handles (as right for example) with colored vinyl electrical tape.

Pull the handles tightly against your stake/post and insure they ALIGN perfectly in your hands! If not, make any adjustments necessary to reach this goal. I compare with the right handle in my left hand, then switch it back when affixing the flying lines, in case one handed dominance comes into judgements. If you slowly release the tension, the longer line will show itself. First compare the tops and then the bottoms. Adjust until they align when pulled tightly against a stationary object. Now affix the kite bridle to the flying lines.

The rest of it is just time on the handles. You've found a spot to fly, your equipment is tuned to neutral and with mid-vents to learn on you are probably seeking a steady double digit wind to start. First objective is speed control, you don't want the kite deciding what to do next! Ride those brakes and master your hover.

Good practice session is to begin with is the leading edge resting on the ground, slightly press your thumbs towards the kite as you slowly walk backwards, Little-Tiny-handle movements! The kite should back-up inverted. Hold the grips real softly, so delicately that the wind could easily remove them from your grasp.

Now try just one thumb instead, from lines tight, neutral in front of you, push one thumb at the kite (sweep it down towards your knee/hip in low wind also) At the halfway point though, as it is rolling over against the leading edge in tip stand,... you will return your hands back to neutral in front of you. (otherwise it will keep on rolling across the wind window on the ground) This is the "Cartwheel", when you know this trick as a pilot you don't need someone downwind to set-up your kite if it lands upside down (inverted)

You practice inverted flight because it forces you to keep shorting the brake lines until it will fly backwards. This a good basis skill to quickly grasp. All the cool stuff hides behind controlling a hover, braking actions make the kite dance or do tricks. If you fly with a full dose of Forward then you're missing out on the things this design does best!

Lower your arms, your body should be relaxed, arms at a 90 degree angle, just held in your lightest finger-tip grip. A little flick does all the work. SLOW controlled precision, not just the dive-stop move to stevie ray vaughn on the headphones!

• Like 2

Paul, thanks for the help. I live in NE Wyoming. There are lots of open fields with no trees ect, and usually a fair amount of wind. However there are no kite fliers.

The closest thing I have seen is a guy with a power kite that drags himself all over the little league football fields. I am watching all the tutorial and reading everything I can find. This is nothing new for me. I learned to fly remote control helicopters with no help. That was a very expensive lesson. I am excited that the kite will not cost $300+ to fix and 3 hours of my time when I crash. Plus, this is the perfect hobby to pair with Helis. If it is windy it is a kite day. If it is less than 10 mph then we will fly Helis. Once again thanks for the advice. If you make a trip to God's country I would love to meet up and see how the "pros" do it.

• Like 2

Paul, thanks for the help. I live in NE Wyoming. There are lots of open fields with no trees ect, and usually a fair amount of wind. However there are no kite fliers.

The closest thing I have seen is a guy with a power kite that drags himself all over the little league football fields. I am watching all the tutorial and reading everything I can find. This is nothing new for me. I learned to fly remote control helicopters with no help. That was a very expensive lesson. I am excited that the kite will not cost $300+ to fix and 3 hours of my time when I crash. Plus, this is the perfect hobby to pair with Helis. If it is windy it is a kite day. If it is less than 10 mph then we will fly Helis. Once again thanks for the advice. If you make a trip to God's country I would love to meet up and see how the "pros" do it.

Learning RC Helicopters with no help makes flying a Rev look like childs play, been there, done that. And as you said, a crash doesn't cost $1,500 either.

• Like 2

Nice job on the sticks Scott,

that's a fun kite builder project too,.... only things already in your home can be used for that mission

We've done a 30 minute builder competition a couple of times at a local kite-fest.

You formed four teams, experienced fliers mixed-in with crowd participants. You could only use the furnished tools and materials that were provided on the table in front of you, you could make any kind of kite, decorated any way. it had to be airborne in 30 minutes though, best designed kite IN FLIGHT wins!

DIY is both fun and educational, (not necessarily cheaper though)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My thoughts on the sticks, I LOVE THEM!!! Rich sent me one of his Shooks to bang up for awhile and it came with the 12" sticks. I'm totally sold!! Flys just as fast in reverse as it does forward and zero wing flipping. I already had inverted hover mastered, so no help there. I like the fact that a stake is no longer needed. I have tons of stakes, some nice ones from Walt that I love, but don't need flying with sticks. A bonus is people won't trip up on the lines this way either, as they lay flat on the ground or sand. I now want sticks for all my Revs.

• Like 1

My thoughts on the sticks, I LOVE THEM!!! Rich sent me one of his Shooks to bang up for awhile and it came with the 12" sticks. I'm totally sold!! Flys just as fast in reverse as it does forward and zero wing flipping. I already had inverted hover mastered, so no help there. I like the fact that a stake is no longer needed. I have tons of stakes, some nice ones from Walt that I love, but don't need flying with sticks. A bonus is people won't trip up on the lines this way either, as they lay flat on the ground or sand. I now want sticks for all my Revs.

The reverse flying and lack of wing flipping sold me instantly. Not messing around with stakes was a bonus.