KiteLife Forum

Magic Sticks Review

Captainbob

Sticks for me ... like pool

You go practice on a big boys table....then goto the bar and hustle on the small table..

I don't fly them except on opk and the tester. So I learn to do all the stuff without them. Then , when I do fly opk with sticks it is usually a small adjustment to achieve desired results. Some stuff is easier or requires less effort..mentally and physically. Some stuff is trickier and requires more finesse.

I would like to have 2 of everything. 1 with. ..1 without ;)

• Like 1

What it boils down to for me is...getting close to people....specifically kids. There is just something else in the way to be grabbed or hung up on. On the flip side,when that does happen...it is easier to recover or relaunch.

If I flew in a no wind no person environment. Sticks would be on every kite I own....may still be. Never say never...

If the kids are able to grab the sticks.... Total pilot error... Hahaha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I had MS on 4 of my quads and found all those extra lines to be a bit of a nuisance. Plus I kept losing the sticks in the bushes or the wat

er, not sure. Today in light winds, which is rare in my area, I noticed more wing flap and bow tying of the wing. Every time it happened I could see where I screwed up somehow.

The MS used to cover up those screw ups. Now I find I have to be a little better, a little more aware and careful of what I'm doing. It's a nice change after a 100+ hours behind the handles.

I don't do a lot of reverse flying yet so I can't comment on that advantage. Inverted hovers were learned with a tip from makatakam

"Another good way to get your inverted hover rock-steady is to fly to the top of the window, turn over and fly down to the ground very, very, very, very, very slowly, or as slowly as possible without wobbling, trying to go slower each time you repeat. If you just do the above 100 times, you should have a steady hover down pat."

and perfected with practice, practice. ....

• Like 2

I had MS on 4 of my quads and found all those extra lines to be a bit of a nuisance. Plus I kept losing the sticks in the bushes or the wat

er, not sure. Today in light winds, which is rare in my area, I noticed more wing flap and bow tying of the wing. Every time it happened I could see where I screwed up somehow.

The MS used to cover up those screw ups. Now I find I have to be a little better, a little more aware and careful of what I'm doing. It's a nice change after a 100+ hours behind the handles.

I don't do a lot of reverse flying yet so I can't comment on that advantage. Inverted hovers were learned with a tip from makatakam

"Another good way to get your inverted hover rock-steady is to fly to the top of the window, turn over and fly down to the ground very, very, very, very, very slowly, or as slowly as possible without wobbling, trying to go slower each time you repeat. If you just do the above 100 times, you should have a steady hover down pat."

and perfected with practice, practice. ....

I think if one learns to fly a Rev using the Magic sticks, not using them is like going back to a car without power brakes and power steering. People learned to drive like that years ago, and would have never missed those things, but once used to them, going back is a real nuisance. I just found that it greatly speeded up the learning process, made the Rev much easier to control, and it's behavior much more predictable. Reverse flying difference, to me is dramatic, in fact whenever I fly my Revs I try to fly in reverse as much as possible, back and forth across the window , and at the same speed as forward speed. Inverted hover is a piece of cake. Never had a stick pop out, but I spent time adjusting and snugging lines when I installed the kits, which is probably the reason. Never had any problem with the extra lines, other than the additional 15 seconds or so to set up with kite. Not a big deal to me.

Aircraft designers, when they design aircraft look for ways to make the aircraft easier for the pilot to control, stall strips, dihedral, trim tabs, etc..etc. The easier it is to control the more the pilot can focus on what he wants the aircraft to do. Magic Sticks, serve that function on the two Revs I fly.

• Like 1

I just like throwing fuel on the fire..inspiring thought and debate.

In the end, it's all about what makes "YOU" smile. It has to feel right in your hands.

I see benefits in Magic Sticks for alot of people...myself included in certain situations. But being I "don't" fly them....that side of the story is also good to be heard.

I can go fly a kite with them all day no problem. Same without.. sure I may have to walk to the kite here and there to remedy something, with and without sticks. I have watched guys yank a kite around for what seems like 5 minutes instead of going and correcting the issue....claiming/preaching the whole time "the sticks will clear the problem"....there are flip side stories to every "benefit".

I have flown next to someone tricking a rev with sticks..while I am not...doing all the same exact stuff.

Me, myself, and I don't have the reverse issue. Sometimes it does happen, with and without sticks...thats an environment issue and over control in that specific time and place.

I feel that as a beginner or novice Rev pilot..you will see tremendous benefits.On the flip side...if you learn to fly the kite first, there are no where near as many positives in the equation. Along with always having issues flying opk... unless it has sticks. Sortof limiting yourself and enjoyment.

Me personally. ..still feel you should mix it up and use both for determined amounts of time. Work on both sides of the story. It will only make you that much better......

Sorry for the long post...but I am bored. JB hasn't made it to Florida yet :P

Maybe I will go start a thread on Skybond line now...really get the flames going ;)

• Like 1

That's why even the strongest supporters from either side of this will say - TRY AND DECIDE - for yourself, what you like! See if it fits that elusive "feel" we've all looked for!!

Even someone like Paul L., holds a clinic and sets up the same kites with several different mods on each and says - fly them all and YOU decide which one "feels" right!!

It all comes back to the "feel thing", what I like and you like, may be 3 different things!! Are they the same kites, lines, handles - mostly yes! What mods you like or how you set them up is a personal thing - there is no right or wrong!!

• Like 1

That's why even the strongest supporters from either side of this will say - TRY AND DECIDE - for yourself, what you like! See if it fits that elusive "feel" we've all looked for!!

Even someone like Paul L., holds a clinic and sets up the same kites with several different mods on each and says - fly them all and YOU decide which one "feels" right!!

It all comes back to the "feel thing", what I like and you like, may be 3 different things!! Are they the same kites, lines, handles - mostly yes! What mods you like or how you set them up is a personal thing - there is no right or wrong!!

It's really easy if you have the sticks on a kite, to remove the sticks temporarily, tape the lines with a small piece of scotch tape and fly without the sticks to compare.

I have flown with and without, and with mods that most flyers would not make, even if I paid them to. I like them all. Depending on wind and other variables, I fly the combo that suits my purpose. There is a time and place for all things.

'Fuel for the Fire'...

ABS quad. No sticks required.

Hehe since they are built in to the ABS, it seems like they aren't just required, but are a must.

Those loops look heavy compared to magic sticks! Hmmm... "sissy sticks"... "lame loops"

They're just "quad roll bars"... Dual kites have had them for a while. I love them on my Temptations...

• Like 1

'Fuel for the Fire'...

ABS quad. No sticks required.

Hehe since they are built in to the ABS, it seems like they aren't just required, but are a must.

Those loops look heavy compared to magic sticks! Hmmm... "sissy sticks"... "lame loops"

They're just "quad roll bars"... Dual kites have had them for a while. I love them on my Temptations...
Yeah, I know. Seen them on dualies like you described. Still looks heavier than magic sticks to me! Now I'm wondering if they can be removed from the ABS without affecting the performance...

Wish my fire emoji would show :(

I would imagine it flies much like the HQ Mojo. With and without the "sticks". Fairly stiff... afyer some use the l.e. connectors at the verticals will become forgiving and the l.e. rod will start popping out at that location.

Are there caps at the outer l.e...if not the rod will start poking through the pocket...effecting performance and control until it finally pops through..

Just speculation from the design and have flown a MoJo a good bit.

I would imagine it flies much like the HQ Mojo. With and without the "sticks". Fairly stiff... afyer some use the l.e. connectors at the verticals will become forgiving and the l.e. rod will start popping out at that location.

Are there caps at the outer l.e...if not the rod will start poking through the pocket...effecting performance and control until it finally pops through..

Just speculation from the design and have flown a MoJo a good bit.

Wow. there is some doom and gloom. Guess Lam should start looking for a bankruptcy attorney...... :ani_giveup:

There is a market there..he makes good kites. Just not for me. I have never flown it..don't intend to unless it's opk. I already know how it handles and flies from the design.

I'm sure there are those that praise the kite... my 1 kite sale won't hurt him. :)

There is a market there..he makes good kites. Just not for me. I have never flown it..don't intend to unless it's opk. I already know how it handles and flies from the design.

I'm sure there are those that praise the kite... my 1 kite sale won't hurt him. :)

I just don't believe in bashing a product, especially one I haven't purchased or flown, until I actually spend some time with it. That's just me, I guess. My crystal ball hasn't worked in years. ;)