KiteLife Forum

Line problems w/Snapshot

ucdcrew

I have a snapshot 1.2. Today I took it out (it was blowing 17-20), and for some reason I keep managing to get the bridle tangled. It seems to get all twisted up and catch on one corner of the foil, which this causes the dizzy spin, and then it crashes, and I have to take it to the back of my truck to get it all sorted out again. It was too windy to try and sort it out on the field. Anyone else have this issue, or any ideas? I did get loops on both sides though, and if I pull on the right I can get it to loop twice and recover! Would a delta kite alleviate this issue?

I'm sure one of the experts can help you, but in the mean time, when you set the kite up before flying, do the lines on the bridal look balanced, in other words the same on the left side and the right side, from the point where you fly lines attach? It should be symmetrical, on both sides, otherwise the kite will pull to one side or the other. Also check you line lengths, and make sure they are both the same, otherwise the kite will constantly turn or spin in one direction as you launch. If all this is OK, then maybe you need a day with lower and consistent winds, to practice flying straight and turning. 17-20 mph is a pretty high wind for a beginner to learn on. Hands close together, and small corrections. While these flying tops are for a delta kite, may apply to the foil kites like you have. The kite you have should be easier or as easy as most delta kites, just keep at it. http://prismkites.com/lounge-training.php

I've flown it 5 times, so its pretty new. I did adjust the line length on one of the lines because I was having to make larger movements to turn on one side. The first launch today was perfect - I'm pretty sure the line length discrepancy had been addressed completely. Now I can get it to stand still at the top of the window. The bridal does look even and symmetrical when I start. I did end up taking off the tail today because when I would crash, it would get wrapped around the bridal and get it stuck. I feel like the problem is made worse after I crash, because the kite was blowing across the ground while I was trying to relaunch it. Looking at the weather, it might have been faster than that. It was gusting up to 33 which is above its range. It was pulling pretty good too.

I've flown it 5 times, so its pretty new. I did adjust the line length on one of the lines because I was having to make larger movements to turn on one side. The first launch today was perfect - I'm pretty sure the line length discrepancy had been addressed completely. Now I can get it to stand still at the top of the window. The bridal does look even and symmetrical when I start. I did end up taking off the tail today because when I would crash, it would get wrapped around the bridal and get it stuck. I feel like the problem is made worse after I crash, because the kite was blowing across the ground while I was trying to relaunch it. Looking at the weather, it might have been faster than that. It was gusting up to 33 which is above its range. It was pulling pretty good too.

I think you are right on the edge of " better not fly today, it's way to windy". Wait for a day with something around 12-16 mph, and you probably will not have any problem at all. Stake your lines down on one end, and then go to the other end, they should be equal in length. If not, you will have to adjust the leaders. You want them exactly the same, or as close as you can get them. This tutorial is for a quad kite, but the principal is exactly the same. ( Follow the instructions for the top lines)

LOL - I have a broken arm and am really bored. I can manage flying pretty good with the cast - although untangling with it is ridiculous. Don't tell my doctor...HA! I think the first indication that it was too windy was the red flag warning they issued.

LOL - I have a broken arm and am really bored. I can manage flying pretty good with the cast - although untangling with it is ridiculous. Don't tell my doctor...HA! I think the first indication that it was too windy was the red flag warning they issued.

Sorry to hear that. Don't play around till your arm heals. You don't want to make it worse.

The lines can continue to stretch over time. Especially in high winds. Sometimes up to 2% stretch. On 65' lines that can be over a foot, so don't think the lines are all stretched out until you've put more than a few hours on them. Second, make sure there are no twists in the bridle, It may look like like it's straight, but it there are any lines twisted or wrapped around each other that can affect how the sail fills. Lastly, make sure you're in the wind window. Sometimes when you get to the outer edges or aren't flying parallel to the prevailing wind your sail will collapse from the wind not blowing into it. Those are the easy thing I can think of. Otherwise, the snapshots are pretty foolproof.

I agree with Tmadz. Check your bridle very closely, and I mean very closely. I have had bridle lines tie knots in themselves on top of existing knots making them very hard to find. This usually happens when the short piece of bridle that you attach the flying line to wraps around some other part of the bridle and loops itself into a knot. Look at each knot in the bridle and the corresponding one on the opposite side and make sure they look the same. Do be careful to not undo a knot that you shouldn't undo. Another thing I do when checking bridles is to fold the kite in half and compare corresponding bridle parts to make sure they are the same length. Should be easy to do with a Snapshot as you don't have any spars to take out of the kite first. Since you mentioned the bridle tangling, I would also check to make sure that the right side looks exactly like a mirror image of the left with no extra twists or whatnot. Good luck.

That's a lot of wind, for any kite, but especially a foil (and a broken arm)........don't hurt yourself :doh:

If all the helpful suggestions above, doesn't solve the problem, you might want to call Prism. Again, not meaning to sound like a broken record, but what everyone is telling you, is symmetry ! Everything, on both sides of the kite (right vs left), all the way from the sail to the wrist straps, should be (NO - MUST BE), symmetrical, or exactly, 100% the same.

Most people would consider 1/4" difference, border-line, so check closely, and Good luck :ani_victory:

You'll get lots of fun just zipping around with it. Once your arm heals you'll be able to have more control over it. It's not a trickster, so after a while you'll probably get bored with it, but it's a great thing to keep around to let others try or let kids fly since it doesn't have a lot of pull. You'll probably decide later on if you want to get into framed kites or get into the big foils like land boarding, kite buggying or such.

I have a 1.9 that I like to fly just as an arm puller in higher winds. A good workout for me.

I wanted to learn the basics on this guy since there are no frame pieces to snap. But eventually I'll probably go with a Quantum or an E3. I'll stay with prism until I feel I have good control over those kites, then maybe look for something else.

• Like 2

I wanted to learn the basics on this guy since there are no frame pieces to snap. But eventually I'll probably go with a Quantum or an E3. I'll stay with prism until I feel I have good control over those kites, then maybe look for something else.

That's what I did, got an HQ Symphony 1.8 as my first kite and flew that for a couple of weeks. Now in a couple of months, I have 2 Revs, a Niknak, and a Prism 4D. No damage to any of my kites since I started.

• 2 weeks later...

Udall Park - Tanque Verde and Sabino Canyon Rd. There are a bunch of soccer fields - I usually use one of the back ones (south side). I've also flown at McDonald Park off Tanque Verde. George Mehl would probably work too - E. River and Pontatoc, just east of the JCC. I thought about taking it up and flying it off one of the observation points on Mt. Lemmon, but was worried if I crashed I'd have to bushwhack through the Cholla to get it back, or would wrap it around a Saguaro and kill it (the kite OR the cactus). Jacob's Park just west of Prince and Oracle looks promising too. I'm lucky though because I have a couple of midweek days off. Google maps has most of the parks listed in green, and then you can look at the satellite picture to look and see what kind of park it is. I'm moving on Monday or I'd go fly with you :(

I use this website to look at the wind, although it used to have the parks marked in green. Looks like NOAA switched the base map. http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/gmap.php?map=twc

ucdcrew, where do you fly in tucson? I've been looking for a place but haven't had much luck.

Hi, erynfaith. Welcome to the forum. Lots of good people, and good info. Any questions you have, ask, and you'll have tons of people helping. Don't forget to breathe and smile!