KiteLife Forum

2005 Convention

cndlguy

This will be the first time to attend an AKA convention and don't know what to expect, except having a great time.

I have some questions I am looking for help with:

1. What to expect

2. I assume its all dress is casual for all events

3. How do I get my kites there? Can I carry them on the plane?

4. Anything else you might find helpful for a newbie.

Thanks in advance,

Paul Duncan

San Jose, CA

:D

Welcome Paul,

The first thing I am going to say is that you are going to love it. Ocean City, MD was also my first Nationals three years back. As far as your questions, here it goes.

Expect: As great time with fliers from all across the US. It is a week of pure enjoyment. You will get to meet so many different fliers that you will never be able to remember all the names and you won't have to :D

Dress: It is casual. However some people like to doll themselves up for the awards banquet. At least I do :P

Kites: I have always checked my kites in. I know that John Barresi has the scoop on that one. Something about sporting equipment, I know he will drop his two cents in at some point. :)

Anything else: Be ready for great times! Also the weather there can fool you, so pack for a little of everything. The last time we were there it was 90 degrees most of the week. B)

Hope to see you there.

Moon :D

:D For AKA Convention you have two choices as a guy, you can show up in casual attire for the banquet and awards and blend in with some of the people or you can wear something really strange and kite related and fit in with the rest of the group, the ladys always just seem to show up looking really pretty (I dont know how they do that but they do). When it comes to flying, bring the best you have! As for the rest of convention .... be prepared to spend money at the auctions and attend as many classes as you can! Also, when you see some one of the big name kite fliers hanging around a lobby or lounge some place, walk up and say "Didn't I see you at Long Beach" and go from there :)

It's a kite event... Need we say more? :D

Come as you are, assuming you have good personal hygeine... Bring kites, and be prepared to meet a whole bunch of amazing kite makers and fliers.

Everyone is friendly, and quick to share their latest tips on this or that.

As for kites on a plane... I travel with a "SKB Standard Golf Case", hard shell with wheels on one end. I just check 'em in and if they give me any grief about the size or weight, I say it's sporting equipment... That usually satisfies them.

In lieu of a hard case (which I only got recently), a good roll up bag should be fine as long as there are a lot of rods in there... If you have 10 kites all rolled up (maybe even with an added spine of sorts) the whole package is quite strong.

While I've heard from a lot of kiters about the occasional rod being broken by handlers, I haven't had anything more than small tear in the bag itself.

I've discovered each airlines has their own sports equipment rule, so work that angle carefully.

Be sure when you check them in to ask them to put fragile stickers on the bag. Be ready to pick them up at "odd shape" pick up. We missed a connecting flight as we waited and waited for bags that were on the ground behind us.

Don't pack them over your weight limit, cause if someone at the airport is in a bad mood they may take it out on you.

BB :D

Penny

Oh,... you've just got to have enough of a good time at National's that you have fun for me too. OK? Ball's in your court.