KiteLife Forum

Prism Switch lines in a rat's nest..

KiteOCD

Hello,

I bought my first "real" kite last year. I only had 30 minutes to play with it and I tangled my lines into a huge ball. Can someone suggest where I can get new lines for it? Is there a certain type of knot I need to know to fasten the straps? I want to really learn this thing well before I move on to other kites so I figured buying new string would be easier.

Thanks!

Congratulations and welcome to kiting. You have a Switch so you can try and get new lines from Prism. The common kiter pennance is actually untangling the lines. Lines can get expensive because they use a special material for making them. Also, Lines have a specific weight load to them based on what capacity you want. You can get the line specs from the Prism website as well. Most kite supplies are available on the web, but I would check with actual kite stores websites first before just buying stuff off ebay or amazon. A lot of junk is out there and you would just end up wasting your money if you don't know what you're looking for. There are several sponsors of this forum with links to their websites on the main page. Just scroll down to the "our sponsors" section.

The knot you want to become familiar with is called a larks head. It's very simple and gets stronger the more it is pulled on. It will never come off of the line in use. It's also easy to remove when you're done. I suggest finding a stake to use to stake down through the middle of your straps when you walk to the kite. It will hold the lines straight and not let the lines drag or tangle. A long screwdriver is easiest and just stab it into the ground leaning away from the kite.

You can learn much from reading the Prism website as well as many free tutorials here. You tube has videos as well. Good luck.

• Like 1

Yes, the Lark's Head knot is probably the handiest, and one of the most important knots, that you can learn.

It is so simple, but many people have a really tough time with it. (understanding how it works)

Take a look at this video >> http://kitelife.com/forum/videos/view-37-rev-tutorial-larks-head-knot/

You will use this knot to attach your line to the kite, as well as to attach your lines to the wrist straps. These are slightly different applications, but bottom-line, the very same knot.

Good luck........

ps.........as Tmadz suggested - GET A STAKE - even if it's only a screwdriver - It will make life much easier for you

• Like 1

Good "Beginners Video", Captainbob. That should help KiteOCD quite a bit, if he is flying that Switch on dual lines, however, I'm not so sure that the Switch is so well adapted, to all the demos in this video, but still, the basics are the same.

• 3 weeks later...

If your flying anything than a single line kite you need to learn to wind your lines, into a figure of 8 winding.

For replacement lines you'll be wanting a set of 44lb at about 20 metres long to replace the existing lines.

SO thats 2 things you need to learn, the larks head knot (the purpose of this is to secure the kite to the line, and the handles) the more tug, the tigher the knot.

AND to wind up your line properly so it isn't tangled when your unpack.

You'll need to make simple loop first, THEN you can do the larks head (it has many names)

This is how to tie your new lines so you can easily fly next time.

I've also got a switch, and managed to cut the lines on another kite at the festival.. But they are great fun kites..

I've got a Nexus, also by prism.. Great fun:)

If your flying anything than a single line kite you need to learn to wind your lines, into a figure of 8 winding.

For replacement lines you'll be wanting a set of 44lb at about 20 metres long to replace the existing lines.

SO thats 2 things you need to learn, the larks head knot (the purpose of this is to secure the kite to the line, and the handles) the more tug, the tigher the knot.

AND to wind up your line properly so it isn't tangled when your unpack.

You'll need to make simple loop first, THEN you can do the larks head (it has many names)

This is how to tie your new lines so you can easily fly next time.

I've also got a switch, and managed to cut the lines on another kite at the festival.. But they are great fun kites..

I've got a Nexus, also by prism.. Great fun:)

I never wind my lines in a figure 8, and have zero problems.

Hello,

I bought my first "real" kite last year. I only had 30 minutes to play with it and I tangled my lines into a huge ball. Can someone suggest where I can get new lines for it? Is there a certain type of knot I need to know to fasten the straps? I want to really learn this thing well before I move on to other kites so I figured buying new string would be easier. 

Thanks!

Hi there KiteOCD,

If you really want to learn this thing, take the time to untangle the mess yourself ;) it builds character :) I'm not joking.

Then follow the advice above.

I prefer figure 8 wind myself, but they both work. Just don't try and convince me the straight wind is faster.

• Like 1