KiteLife Forum

It has been way to long......

pickensw

Hello All…
I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi.

I am Will and live in the Twin Fall, Idaho area. I am just getting back into kite flying after about 10 years. The kids have all moved out of the house so I enjoy being outside, gardening and playing LOTRO.

Two weeks ago was our spring break (My wife and I work for a k-12 school) so I setup a 5 day stay at Depoe Bay, Oregon. A few days before leaving I picked up 2 new Prism Kites. A Stowaway Parafoil and a Snapshot 1.4. We had a blast even with all the rain. One day flying at Lincoln City beach someone had a Revolution and man was I hooked! After talking with him and visiting the 2 stores there I knew I needed to try these wonderful kites.

After our return I started searching craigslist and was surprise to find one near Boise. I had a VA appointment on the 1st of April in Boise and so I came home with my new Rev 1.5. I am the 4th owner of this kite. I was surprised of the condition, a RTF, some fraying, small LE tears where it folds and only one Leading edge spar, the SLE. All in all a great buy I think. I have been watching videos every night after work but still have not been out to fly it yet. Real life has gotten in the way this past week. I hope to get out soon!

I am looking to see if there is anyone else in the Twin Fall area on the forum and to know where you fly.

Thanks for reading!

Will

• Like 2

All the condition issues you mention are fixable or part replaceable! Biggest thing is if you can meet up with some other fliers in the area, that will really soften up the learning curve! Yes you can learn alone, many have, but if you can find others that have already experienced the issues you will face and they can ease you past them, you'll be way ahead!!

Welcome and enjoy - the ride lasts a lifetime!!

• Like 2

Meet some others pilots, yes.

If you have to travel, to get flying correctly ,.... Well it's worth the trouble and expense, a years shorter learning curve and thousands of dollars worth of crap you can avoid wasting money on.

In our local club we advise folks to wait a couple of years until you've developed your own niche before buying ANY kites. When you finally know what you want, those numbers on an little piece of paper become irrelevant. You have dreamed about your new objective, maybe eaten ketchup sandwiches for 2 summers to pay for it!

You've compared and tested, heard 100s of opinions, struggled over the wind range objectives and desired graphics.

• Like 1

Hi Will,

Glad you came to Kitelife. There's such a great bunch of folks here, and tons of good information. If you have questions, just ask, and I'm sure someone will help you out............

Welcome aboard, and welcome over to the "Dark Side".......... :ani_victory:

• Like 1

Will,

If you stopped at the store across from the beach at D-River in LC, you may have met a guy named Ted. He is like the energizer bunny when you start talking Revs.

I live 90 min down the road from LC. I fly there 4 or 5 times a month, rain or more rain.

If you are going to be out this way again I would be thrilled to be able to fly with you.

I taught myself to fly…well sorta… got a lot better thanks to JB’s vids. As someone stated, it is well worth the time and effort to fly with someone. 2 weeks ago I flew with folks for the first time. I attended my 1st JB clinic and it was well worth the 4 hour drive.

There is a festival in Aug just a few miles south of you at Antelope Island, North of SLC.

Terry

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the welcomes!

Terry.. I did go into Tradewinds(I think that was the name) but I was just looking around. We flew at LC on Monday which was the only nice day for weather. We also went to Indian Beach and 2 others on the way to Coos Bay and did flying. (Got a cool float also) I will let you know when I am back over that way. I am hoping to get in a fishing trip this fall. Where are these classes you speak of!?!?! I would love to attend!

I know about the festival in Utah and I hope to be able to attend. There is also a local family/kids festival in Twin Falls May 10th and 11th. This will be there 3rd Annual Kite Days.

This is off their Facebook page....

"Kite Days are back! Bring your friends and family out to Sunway Soccer Complex Saturday and Sunday, May 10th-11th for fun in the wind! The Twin Falls City Youth Council is inviting you to join in the games, food, and more. All ages are invited, and best of all it's FREE!"

I was hoping to find more local fliers here but I guess it has to start somewhere so I guess I am it.

Thanks again for all the reply's!

Will

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well for the last 2 weeks the wind has either been way to much or none at all. It's been fun for the snapshot. Mornings have been nice but work gets in the way! Last night there was a small breeze but I think my tomato stakes kept me from doing to much. Spent about 45 min getting it about 20' in the air then back down again. I could launch but then it would not stay up. Kind of tough.

It looks like they are trying to get the Boise Kite Festival going again. So this weekend we are headed up there to see what it looks like. It runs from 9 to noon and the facebook page for it was started at the end of March so not expecting to much but you never know.

Will