KiteLife Forum

Curiosity about Dual Line Kites

Captainbob

Well, since the leech line pocket on my Z ripped out, I've flown with it loose, I can't really tell the difference in performance. I've never noticed that a kite with a buzzing TE wore out any faster. The Zephyr is the only kite that I have that the dacron frayed like that. I seem to remember that I wasn't the only one who had issues with the TE, but my Z is from the first production run. Others have said that Prism changed the kite a bit since then, especially when they went with the new colors a few years ago. Hopefully that is one of the shortcomings that they addressed.

Bottom line... you can't see any of this when the kite's at the other end of the lines, and the kite flies fine still.

• Like 1

Here is what is says in the Zephyr Owners manual from Prism regarding the Leech Line:

"The leechline is the white Spectra line that runs inside the trailing edge and dangles

out a few inches at each wingtip. If this line is tensioned and tied off at the wingtips,
it stabilizes the trailing edge of the sail and prevents it from fluttering in flight,
keeping the kite silent. With the leechline loose, the sail will buzz in flight, especially
in stronger winds. By adjusting the tension on the leechline you can set the kite up
for your preferred flying style. We tend to prefer the tight precision and reduced pull
of a loose leechline, but some pilots don’t like the noise and prefer the silky-smooth
feel of a silent setup. There’s no need to tension the leechline for your first flights;
we suggest you get to know the kite first and then if you want to mess with it, follow
the directions below."
So it would appear that the main purpose of the leech line is to reduce noise.
  • Like 1

Flew my Zephyr for about an hour tonight when I got home from work.What a great flying kite. At one point I was flying these large perfect circles from the top of the window to 10 feet above the ground. The Z made it easy. It is slower than my Widow NG, and just seems to float in the air. Love it... :ani_yahoo:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Unlike most folks, I personally prefer to fly on my own without spectators. It allows me to concentrate on honing in on my multiple kite flying skills without interruption.

That been said, I have a plethora of kites (way too many!), single line, dual line, revs and power kites and have found from personal experience that these days power kites seem to attract more spectators than any other and I can only assume it's because of their current popularity, especially with young adults.

I can only assume, the average person who doesn't know a thing about kites, assumes kites are for "kids" (yes they are wrong!) and the power kites are more for the adrenaline junkie adults, which have really increased in popularity over the last 10 years.

Also, the average person for the most part, has no clue about the different types of kites on the market today.(That was me a few years ago. I since have learned the differences.)

I certainly agree that as soon as you attach a tail or tails to any kite, it definitely attracts more attention. That been said, nothing attracts more attention than flying kites in multiples, (with or without tails)as it's rarely seen and a sight to behold when executed with precision and especially when flown to music like a well choreographed ballet.

The GRAND MASTER "Ray Bethel" got me started flying multiples after seeing his Youtube videos and I have never looked back. "Thanks Ray for all your videos, influence and personal advice"

Here are some of my multiple kite videos:

If it's spectators you are really seeking to attract, my advice would be, hone your kiting skills to become proficient enough to fly and compete at large kiting events around the country. You won't be short of eager spectators then :)

As far as what kites to have in your kite bag, well that a very debatable point. It all depends on what type of flying you are really interested in and your location, with regards to average wind speeds. If you are lucky enough to live by the ocean where wind speeds can fluctuate dramatically, your choices are very wide and you would find use for UL's as well as vented kites for much higher wind speeds.

From personal experience my UL's get way more flying time than my vented kites and that's mainly due to my flying style and of course my location which for the most part has very mild breezes, rarely exceeding 10mph.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth and hope it helps point you in the right direction.

Happy kiting! :)

• Like 1