KiteLife Forum

2-Line Diamond Stunt Kites (Peter Powells)

bbailey49

My very first ever 2-line kite was a rainbow colored diamond (with a massively long tail) from spectra star. I loved flying that kite right up until its $10.99 value caught up to it and pieces started breaking. At the Treasure Island Kite Festival in January I saw someone flying a 3-stack (red, white, and blue) of diamond stunters with great long tails and I was reminded of my early kite flying days. Silly me, I was too overcome with being in the middle of my first festival and enjoying the vibes of being around all these kite fliers that I never took the time to find the person who was flying them and ask what they were. I thought it would be cool to maybe get one (or a stack, crowds love the stacks) to be able to capture some of that nostalgic feeling of my first stunt kite. I think I finally found out what they were. http://www.peterpowellkites.co.uk/shop/

According to their website Peter Powell Kites has been around since the mid '70's. Has anyone flown these? Got any stories or guidance to help out a perspective buyer?

- I'm posting this in the general sport kite, but if it belongs in the kite models - dual line thread feel free to move it, JB.

• Like 1

Ha, we're actually going to do a subscriber drawing for a 3-stack of these sometime in the near future. :)

I really love all the basic instruction videos they've got online...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOR3Q4Ym2PYShC55As1knEg/videos

This company was around in the very beginning of sport kiting in the 1970s, and has recently made a come back under a 2nd generation of management - I hope it works out for them, stacks of diamond kites with tails have probably roped in more new fliers than anything else ever made.

Peter Powell himself was a very colorful fellow, and fairly well embodied the spirit of kiting. :)

powell.jpg

peter_powell_triple1.jpg

And from an old issue of SKQ...

i81-around-bend-03.jpg

Great post Barton (and in the right place), thanks - can't wait to hear from folks about this.

• Like 1