KiteLife Forum

Laser Pro Gold

northwavesailor

We are currently using LPG quad line sets,90#, 80'. I have no complaints with LPG, but also nothing to compare it to.

Is LPG still the #1 choice for most Rev flyers?

I am thinking it might be a good idea to have a backup quad set of line in the bag and though I'd ask the forum members before buying another set.

Doing a Google search, I have read that LPG is no longer being made for kite line.................is this true?

You may want to try a longer set (120' x 90lb), if you plan on flying with others. I personally use 100' & 120' sets, most all of the time. The 120' seems to be the preferred length, for team flying.

Also (myself NOT included), many people like short line-sets, so there are a lot of folks out there with 30' & 50' sets............It's all personal preference. Do remember, though, the shorter the line, the less reaction time you have, if things start going "south", and likewise, your flight area is a bit more limited.

As for LPG not being made any longer, there were some rumors about that, several years back, and it seems that they were true, however, there seems to be an ample supply currently, at most of the larger online kite shops. Here's a post that might shed some light on the subject............from back in 2011.

Read this post, and several of the posts that follow: http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/4082-laser-pro-gold-other-spectra-lines/#entry26732

The KL thread back in 2011 mentioned the end of LPG even though I also see it listed ( and have bought it) at many shops. There is bulk LPG available to save a few $$$, but really don't want to get into the DIY quad line business.

Just wondering if Shanti or any other makers had line as good, or perhaps better, than LPG?

LPG is the choice for us West Coast fliers and I don't see any signs of it not being made anymore!

A lot depends if you want store bought sets or will make your own! If you make your own, then Shanti makes 2 lines that work - Speed line and Skybond. And you can get LPG to make some if you want!

Store bought, most go for the LPG, but online you'll find several different brands available! Pretty much anything made from Spectra fiber will work and be compatible with other lines! No Dacron!!!

Are you looking to get the same length or something else??

I fly exclusively Shanti Skybond. Primarily for two reasons. 1. It is what Cath and Eliot sell at flying smiles and 2. It has the polymer coating that seems to keep it from getting as dirty. I will probably get a set or 2 of LPG 120' for flying in a line as you want everyone in a line to respond the same, but I'm waiting for a certain someone, who I will not name, to get those made.

• Like 2

:) Sweet talking mom now with a car purchase.

I am due for everything myself.

I fly LPG ...readily available in whatever length or bulk you need.

I have flown Skybond. Smaller in diameter with basically the same weight ratios and have noticed the spongier feel. That can and could be good or bad. Just depends on your style and flavor.

• Like 1

Any good quality Spectra line will be compatible with another maker's line! At WSIKF last year, people flying Skybond were right in the middle of the record 81 kite fly! But remember the team length is 120', that is universal!!

Personally I have sets of - 30', 50', and 120' in 50# ; 30', 80', and 120' in 90# ; and a 120' x 150# line set for hurricanes!! :ani_giveup:

• Like 1

Wayne's right. At KP last year, Shanti Speed flew team along side LPG no problems... ;)

I love the Speed line, I find it *slightly slicker, I think it's the lack of a modulus coating, however.... it gets considerably dirtier and begins to fray faster than LPG, IMO. LPG is the perfect combination of (bulk) price, slickness, stretch/creep resistance and dirt resistance, and team flying acceptance, oh and price.

I've never flown the SkyBond, I look forward to trying it someday. Till then, got 2 spools of bulk LPG to go through.

• Like 2

Yep, if you are fairly new to quad-line, or any multi-line flying, you'll probably never detect a difference. I used Berry Blue es/55 (for years before they went out of business), and it's never been a problem for me (even though JB doesn't really like BB). In fact, I still have a few sets, both dualie and quad, that I still use, quite often :cat_lol:

I received a dual set of Blueberry lines as a gift from a kind vendor after a purchase of several kites. I like having older equipment as it pleases me to enjoy the heritage of our KiteLife. The lines fly just fine & it amuses me when my hand is slightly blue after winding up the lines. It's all good when you love kites.

edit: Did not even realize it was Berry Blue, Know Eye Deer & so on...

I received a dual set of Blueberry [BERRY BLUE] lines as a gift from a kind vendor after a purchase of several kites. I like having older equipment as it pleases me to enjoy the heritage of our KiteLife. The lines fly just fine & it amuses me when my hand is slightly blue after winding up the lines. It's all good when you love kites.

Yep, on occasion, you can still find a Berry Blue dual line set, here and there. It seems that there are still a few sets out there, if you can locate them. Years ago, I made all of my dual line sets out of Berry Blue and Berry Blue es/55, and eventually began making quad sets, later on. I too, now use LPG, mainly because BB is no longer available in quantity. As best I remember, the original Berry Blue (which was a darker blue) was Spectra 1000, whereas the newer Berry Blue es/55, was Spectra 2000, giving that line a softer feel, and it was a lighter shade of blue. To this day, I still use the very nice, blue wrist straps, that came with the pre-made Berry Blue lines.

Berry Blue Spectra 1000 Berry Blue es/55 Spectra 2000

post-4670-0-83818400-1398085888_thumb.jp post-4670-0-76906900-1398085902_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Here's my 2 cents worth ( which is now worth less than that...cause I type slow, or it wasn't worth that much in the first place) Anyway, I prefer Shanti SkyBond. Why? Simply, the lines are "slicker" thus fly smoother. If you're flying in groups, smooth, slow and precise, all are superb lines. I've flown with them all. However, if you want to bust a Rev loose in moderate winds and "fly it like you stole it", hard and fast, then go try putting 25 fast spins in one direction on LPG lines. Those puppies will "burp, squeal, and curse" at you during the whole process of putting all those tight twists in your quad lines (due to line friction). Not my SkyBonds. :akuma: Then, doing the unwinds quickly will have that kite/LPG line combo fighting you the whole way. Not necessarily a bad thing...lol.

Of course, like most of us here, I've got line sets from most quality manufacturers at varying lengths for different flying conditions. I just prefer SkyBond! You really can't go wrong with either line set!

• Like 3

My experience...

Berry Blue is NOT good for team flying, I won't cross lines with anyone using them - too many cuts in the past.

We tested Skybond on iQuad in hopes of exploring a sponsorship with Shanti but couldn't get past the "boing" or stretch we felt in the line on hard, sudden inputs.

Speed line, great stuff, but it has more threads and a less solid coating, so I've found it shows wear faster and picks up more dust, sand, etc.

LPG is still my line of choice, far and away.

Longer throw handles will put that snappy response back into Skybond

15" no-snags and skybond = very sweet and commonly used ride on the east coast. a couple of dozen wraps before binding-up, thinner, easily visible too, but not that "wire connection" like is available only from Laserpro Gold.

what IS the value of extra-slippery? It's not like the difference in feel is the same as a comparison between 90# and 50#

If the bridle is stationary but the lines are "softer",...... is that the same as there's some slop in the bridle but the lines are stiffer? See, life is full of choices, we reach the same objectives occasionally by a uniquely different path. Don't be afraid to try it out!

When in groups, the flier with the oldest line is usually the bind-up problem.

NEVER admit that (if it's U & you know it!)

• Like 3