KiteLife Forum

Releasing tension on wing tip on a dualie

Captainbob

I have 3 Dualies now and about to get a 4th one. I read recently that someone recommended unhooking the bungee each time on the wingtip, even if you leave the LE edge together, when placing the kite in it's bag. The writer said, that if you didn't do that, the bungee and sail would stretch due to being under tension all the time. My question is, is this what most dualie owners do? I have been leaving the sail under tension,and just placing the kite in the bag with the LE in one piece and the sail under tension.

I have HQ nocks and a line to tighten sail, so it it quite easy to release after I'm finished. I don't think I would leave them under tension even if I was assured nothing would stretch, just in case.

Each to their own preference though.

Hey Captain,

Having two kite bags of quality "dualies", (Widow Maker, Delta Drives, Kymera, Quantum Pro...) I don't unhook the LE bungees from the wingtips either. And the crowd yells "Booooooo....get the bum..." :ani_weightlift:

Candidly, I think that I used to way back when, but quit somewhere along the way. That being said, I've not noticed any unusual stretching/wear/detriment on my kites. And, believe me, at these prices...I would notice!!!

• Like 2

If the kite has a straight LE, I leave the wingtips tied. If the kite has curved LE, I release the tension when storing the kites. Also, if the kite has bungees instead of lashings, I release the tension.

I haven't noticed any issues with the kites that I leave under tension, though. For example, I tied the tips on my Widow Maker when I got it ~4 years ago, and they've been tied ever since.

• Like 2

I've heard both theories and I still Detention my Kites when put them away. I really don't think it would hurt anything it is more of a preference and convenience factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are using them fairly regular, I'd leave them hooked up, just for convenience. If you are done with a kite, and you know it's going to be a long time before you'll fly it again, un-hook them if it makes you feel better, and pack the kite away neatly. As many have said, it's more of a personal preference thing, and like Rob mentioned, I've got kites that have been stored for years, with the LE under tension, and I'm not loosing any sleep over them. Personally, I don't think it's a big deal, and if I had the room, and the ability to transport, I'd leave all my kites fully assembled, all the time, both dual line & quad line. Hmmm, an old bread truck would work nicely :cat_lol:

• Like 2