KiteLife Forum

Magic Sticks .. the next level

mystainedskin

As previously mentioned in the first post..the flight characteristics ARE different. The point is the effort to shoot for bigger and better..not just mac and cheese out of the box....add some seasoning and it's a different dish. Really go all out and make pasta and a block of cheese...waste of time? No...much better.

Flying Smiles sells a great kit and I applaud you for promoting the Shooks...great people! But the original sticks were heavier and made of what was there. Heavier rods..gas line..etc..Passed along first hand by Scott Weider.

Too be perfectly honest..even with a Rev Rider kite..more specific. .Scott Weiders personal shook or the Pauls....I fly and perform better more precise without them . especially in the low end range.

BUT. .. I am willing to take the journey and play along the way...you never know unless you try. You could do this same experiment with your store bought kit by adding pigtails to the end caps of your sticks. This will allow you to move the rods up and down and compensate for bridle changes.

Paul, thanks for the suggestion..I will give ot a shot for sure. It sounds as if this may suit me a bit more. The independence of each side sounds more appealing. I love to learn and it only makes me that much better in the end for trying. :)

What it boils down too...I don't read directions and take things as they are.. I try it, modify it, and learn from it. If it doesn't work or no benefits are gained..no harm no foul...put it back to original.

Bridles are next... I know Paul will enjoy this subject also :P and the stick journey continues.....

• Like 1

Seems lately. .things are taken the wrong direction when I express myself.

To dive deeper...

The same as your original sticks post.. This info will be here as long as Kitelife is around...even then ..it maybe archived somewhere. EVERY piece of info regardless how small or insignificant could be helpful to someone.

Since there are so many interested in sticks right now...what better time to document a journey of experimentation.

LaMasters has inspired me through stories of their club doing these exact same steps in every manner you could imagine. Maybe that's why they all fly so well?...and have a VAST amount of knowledge. They will set up multiple kites...small changes made to each one...and fly them...for an afternoon,a week,a month,etc...then swap to the next one. Feedback along the whole journey from everyone. With everyone's flavor being different. It seems like a great way too learn and maybe find a benefit that works for you and makes the bell go "ding" and the light come on. I am a firm believer in you must do it too truly grasp and learn from your mistakes. I myself have grown leaps and bounds from being associated and flying with such people. From Mr. B himself to my good friend Chuck...whom I fly with and learn with..sharing all the time our steps and the outcome of what was done. No matter what is said or described. Never discredit it...keep it in the back of your mind. There WILL come a time in your kiting adventure that it will become relevant, regardless of what you feel now.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Wildwood room-mates of cottage 10 found another useful purpose for the sissy sticks, . . . . they can be used as light poles to affix flashing LEDs when backlighting your kite. Amazingly cool to share with the spectators on the boardwalk.

• Like 3

Wildwood room-mates of cottage 10 found another useful purpose for the sissy sticks, . . . . they can be used as light poles to affix flashing LEDs when backlighting your kite. Amazingly cool to share with the spectators on the boardwalk.

Teaser....

Finally, a strong enough reason for me to buy Magic Sticks ☺ I want to see more please!

• Like 1

It's flat out phenomenal!

The weight was not an issue...to the point of they could be flown all the time with little ill effect. All slack line moves had an extra bonus of crab eyes looking at you.

I have some good pics and short videos of the testing on a full sail and the mesh.

There are some photos in the Fb dropbox link post.

I actually have a set being made...before this. Using the same idea. This was a classic....check this out moment.

• Like 1

Scott Benz posted a large group of photos recently, some show assembly and video of actual usage, but none are detailed enough for D-I-Yers.

Each light was first affixed to the standoff tube with painter's tape (just hold it there a split second) one only on each wing. Then the second light was place 180 degrees away and both squeezed together surrounding the tube by a rubber band for permanence. The raised ridges on each light unit prevents movement

Honestly?, we slapped the solution together over a dining table in a few minutes and went out double-quick to test. The lights are the 3 primary colors (like your TV or computer monitor, R/G/B) These are "additive colors" so adding all 3 lights together at once makes White, whereas in printing the colors are filters, removing specific wavelengths of light thru Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black (subtractive colors)

• Like 1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aivktg9bwh318g4/2014-05-23%2021.03.44.mp4

Full sail view before first flight. Short video..I think it must be downloaded..but quickest way to get everything loaded for sorting. This was shared via FB a few days ago...if downloading is a problem.

• Like 1

I have looked into actually making something...but it is cost prohibitive. I found a similar light..and a roll of tape in the bag is no big deal for me. It was super easy and quick. I have used rubber bands in the past with good success....and if the light ever falls...it is a light and easy to find (unless sugar sand...tends to bury itself)

We used simple masking tape and ran in through the paces...axels ..flic flacs...you name it...in the hands of 5 notorious flailers and nothing budged.

Now I just need some of those light poles...... :P

point 098 end-cap (2)

point 125 carbon tube (16"/each -2)

Stand-off fitting (which you probably have already from past stick experiments)

Kathy Goodwin's kite parts could fix you up, if you find a twenty dollar bill laying around in the midst of your travels

or

somebody PLEASE send Scott these parts

• Like 1

point 098 end-cap (2)

point 125 carbon tube (16"/each -2)

Stand-off fitting (which you probably have already from past stick experiments)

Been talking to Cath....may just have some mailed ;) not so much feeling them for daily use on the B...other than lights. The B2 on the other hand.....I have been very intrigued since the get go.... sort of getting anxious for that session.

Kathy Goodwin's kite parts could fix you up, if you find a twenty dollar bill laying around in the midst of your travels

or

somebody PLEASE send Scott these parts

I doubt I'll take them off my B2. Except if I make a 2/3 progressive stack again. Being able to fly lower and much higher on the 2 frame means I have a spare frame.... Maybe a B2 Vtd sail... And sticks on that would go way high!!!

Rob, you could buy just the B2 FV sail alone, add your own bridle (the leftover from the full sail B2 for example) and use that spare frame on it too. That would surely save some freight, as it could be mailed folded-up flat-ish into a padded shipping envelope.

Of course the Shooks' Palace would be happy to take your order on the full monty, if that's your pleasure!

By the way,...

My B2 uses a .098 micro carbon solid rod (magic stick set-up ~ DIY) as it doesn't need all of the support strength & weight a point 125 tube standoff provides on such a small sized format.

I use the full sail with a modified french bridle (2 legs need to be tighten~shorted to allow for the revised panel layout and down-tube location changes, you're pulling-in the attachment point on the bottom flying lines so it aligns above the down-tube, i just added an overhand knot, one on each side) to wind speeds above 20 mph, I would assume a properly rigged full vent B2 could go to 35 easily.

• Like 1

I have been close to 30mph on the full vent B2 (kitelife) no sticks..3 wrap.

It's an odd feeling leaning back with a small sail.

Most of my B2 and stick thoughts would be more low wind slack line stuff...but that small sail will still produce moves pretty high up in the window. My first axels were on the side of the window with the b2 fv....26mph that night. Axel to flic flac landing is pretty solid up pretty high too. Makes an impressive sound ;)

Time to do laundry...kites need flying somewhere and a ride is in route! :P

The floral RGB transitioning light LEDs arrived finally and I'll figure out a way to mount 'em (that's easily removable) plus share some pictures in the next couple of days. The on/off switch is a clear pull tab at the opposite end from the bulb, threaded with thin shock cord (which I wouldn't need with backlighting the kite)

Currently I'm thinking we have little rubber bumps that the misses affixes to the hallway toilet (so that darn Toto handle doesn't bang/chip the lid). I'll probably cut them in half and epoxy those half moons onto the lights with the flat edge parallel to the stick path on the point 125 tubes. Maybe try to "router a slit" or groove with the dremel tool cutting wheel and see if that is superior on the rubber bumps.

Mounting the lights on each side of soda straw or maybe a coffee stir stick, as I will need a somewhat tight diameter and no more weight additions.

To facilitate a night-time field installation I'll carry some band-aids and use that wound pad as the soft part between the lights and the sissy stick. A couple of rubber bands will insure it stays in place. Almost everyone carries vinyl electrical tape for a quick-fit problem if you want to try different applications.

Again, a huge thank you to my friend Terry Rankin for sourcing these lights out!

Paul I've been searching for the link to order these lights. Can't seem to locate the thread and/or find the link. Could you direct me to the posting for how to order lights, or re-post the link. Thanks.

Marshall