KiteLife Forum

Best way to hold straps for Dualie kites.

Captainbob

In watching videos of good flyers flying dualies, I see several ways that the flyer holds the straps. Some wrap the straps around their wrists, and hold the strap in the palm of their hand. Others use two fingers holding the end of the if each strap. I have also seen some using a D ring to shorten the loop in the strap, and using fingers to hold the shortened loop. What is the preferred method that dualie experts use?

Depends on the wind and your preference. I was flying today in gusty winds. Had to put the straps around my wrist because of the pull. In light wind I'll hold the strap in my hand and put my finger on the line for feel.

• Like 1

I'm no expert.....

I prefer finger and knuckle straps. These go around the pinky and ringman. I feel the changes in line tension better.

Really does come down to feel and personal preference. Try different straps and ways to find which suits you best.

As Tmadz said though, sometimes you need that extra purchase when the wind is up.

• Like 1

Depends... in light winds I use Finger straps (California Customs made by NormP (best straps I've used)) or in standard winds I use wrist straps around the wrists, and index fingers on the leaders for fine adjustments, like is suggested in the Prism video. I've tried, but I can't use the Dodd grip with straps, it just feels like there's a lot less control.

If you haven't seen the Cal. Custom straps, they're in the first 10 seconds of this video...

I think you can get them from Gomberg kites, or shoot Norm a PM on the GWTW forum, user NP. He makes them by hand, and they are hands down THE BEST straps I've ever flown with. He makes finger straps as well as wrist straps.

• Like 2

Depends... in light winds I use Finger straps (California Customs made by NormP (best straps I've used)) or in standard winds I use wrist straps around the wrists, and index fingers on the leaders for fine adjustments, like is suggested in the Prism video. I've tried, but I can't use the Dodd grip with straps, it just feels like there's a lot less control.

If you haven't seen the Cal. Custom straps, they're in the first 10 seconds of this video...

I think you can get them from Gomberg kites, or shoot Norm a PM on the GWTW forum, user NP. He makes them by hand, and they are hands down THE BEST straps I've ever flown with. He makes finger straps as well as wrist straps.

Dodds videos were what actually prompted this question, because I noticed that he uses a normal length strap, that would normally go around the wrist, but holds it with his index and middle finger. I was trying that today, and it seemed to work well, but I was flying the Niknak. Not sure how well this would work in a 18 mph wind on the Widow NG. I will check out the Cal Straps.

That video is "my kind of flying".....

I've seen that JB holds his in "3 finger style", at least it looked that way from the Kymera clips. That is pointer, middle and ring.

My current straps are from Benson Kites but I have some Boas and normal ones too.

Whatever is comfortable, but being able to feel what the kite is doing is important. Try gripping any way you like. depends on your hands, the strength of the wind, what the straps are made out of, etc, etc.

I use wrist straps probably 90% of the time these days but very rarely put them around my wrists. I like to hold them in my fingers, pinching the straps with thumb and forfinger for control and feel. The material the straps are made of is most important. I have several pairs of these cheap straps which came with cheap line on cheap kites. They are a very soft, thin material. As you can see, they are getting pretty frayed, but are comfortable. Other "better" straps are often thicker or harder and not as comfortbale for the long haul. I used to use finger straps held the same way, but almost always the seams and such end up rubbing on my first finger. The JOE finger straps shown are probably the best Ive used. The stitching isnt too abrasive. For years, my favorite straps for low wind flying were made from loops of a very soft rope I found at the supermarket.

I've found that if the wind is too strong to hold th straps in my hands rather than around my wrists, I should probably stop flying, or just take frequent breaks. These days the straps only go around my wrists when I'm taking pictures or otherwise need the use of my hands while the kite is in the air.

straps1.jpgstraps2.jpgPICT0004.JPG

Don't think they are made anymore, but for light winds I used a set of handles made from small ball shapes with line for connecting your flying lines!! Used to let the lines go between my index and middle fingers and just hold the ball shaped handles!! Found it really promoted a light touch!

Sorry no pic, but my computer skills are iffy at best!!

Never gave this topic much thought, you know, Know Eye Deer. So today I was asked to fly with a three year old who had received a small kite for his birthday. It was a no wind day. Small field of a back yard was pretty much glider only. So flew the Zero G, no handle of course. The new kite for the young man was a round flat lady bug on a wand. Kid power worked well for the youngster. I also got to try my first wand flying. Did some pretty cool figure eights that impressed the five year old girl that was present. Then we climbed the steps & tossed both kites into glides for a bit. As I walked around the house I found a little bit of a wind tunnel between houses. Got out the 4D & the shortest line set which did not have straps attached. I thought hmmm, who needs handles? The 18' lines had nice soft sleeves that made great mini handles for the light pulling kite. It had a great feel that way. In fact I am now going to remove the finger straps from the other line set in that kite's case. Who'd a thunk it?

I have flown about 10 hours in the last three days, and experimenting with different ways to hold the lines, and decided that for now the method that Dodd uses in his videos is the most comfortable for me, index and middle finger holding onto the end of the wrist strap.

• Like 1

• 9 years later...

I recently came across these straps and thought it was interesting usage, makes sense to me anyways...I find I usually need to use the straps around my wrists because of the pull, but odd time will have it slip off around my

wrist/thumb. Will try the finger grip methods and see how that feels.

xpstraps.jpg

I don't think that I would like those straps because it looks like to me that they will get tighter as the wind increases.  

What is important is that you like them :)

I generally put my wrists through the straps and then hook my pointer finger through the D-ring.  It puts a lot of tension on my finger, I can always release if I want to.  Mostly I think it is a personal preference.

I have some straps like this...it has a small loop at the top as well...I'm assuming if you just want to loop one finger in there. 

Is there a typical way you would hold the long part of the strap if you have your finger through the small loop?

20230612_193300.jpg